Ways to burn a few more calories...

Options
bexominglex
bexominglex Posts: 130 Member
For those that are chronically tired for medical reasons, or simply dislike exercising, here are some ways to cut calories (it adds up).

1. Walk to and from the grocery store instead of taking the bus or the car (as long as it's not too far away and you're not carrying home a lot of stuff)
2. Water down juice (50% juice, 50% water)
3. Try diet or calorie reduced sodas if you like soda pop.
4. Get a shower instead of a bath (just standing as opposed to sitting or lying burns more calories).
5. Get up and manually change the television channel or volume.
6. Every time the commercials come on, get up and "dance" until your show comes back on, or stand up and sit down 10 times every time the commercials come on.
7. Try not to eat anything for 4 hours before going to bed.
8. Add lots of hot peppers (unless you are allergic or have a medical condition that precludes it) to help speed up metabolism). I like to add cayenne pepper to almost everything (plus, it makes dull foods like clam chowder taste better to me!)
9. Use smaller plates and cups, and use smaller spoons when eating soup. (Especially if, like me, you naturally eat quickly).
10. Avoid buffets and all you can eat places. You will probably go nuts, like me, to get the best deal.
11. If you get take out, like chinese, partition it into several meals instead of eating one monster meal all at once.
12. Veggies will fill you up just as fast as chips. You can eat them with low calorie salad dressing, dips, salsa and hummus. I love cucumber, broccoli, cauliflower and carrots.
13. Take the stairs instead of an elevator or escalator (especially if it's only 2 or 3 storeys- use common sense, if you have athma or are late and have to travel 30 storeys, than the elevator is probably better).
14. When you are watching TV, to remember to get your water intake, drink a cup (250 ml or 1/4 of a liter) every time a commercial comes on. It's actually pretty easy.
15. If you don't have one, get a pet. A slow moving dog (perhaps a senior from the pound) or a cat- cats and certain breeds of dogs are not very energetic but just having a pet is good because they are great for mood, they give you the oppurtunity to play with them and burn calories, and with a dog, many like to go on short walks.
16. Air popped pop corn is filling and very low in calories and high in fiber. Some types of margarine taste like butter and have plant sterols and no trans fat.
17. Eat something high in protein and moderate in fat 15-30 minutes before you go grocery shopping. You are less likely to buy whatever looks good if you aren't hungry.
18. Try to eat regularly. I don't know about you guys but I tend to go overboard and gobble things down when I have gone 10 or more hours without food. Eat a small meal when you first wake up (I hate eating breakfast) and try to eat something *small* every 2 hours or so, even if its only a handful of almonds or a piece of cheese.
19. Remember that weight loss is simply burning more calories than you consume. There are no magic pills or magic bullets so try not to discouraged day to day. Slow and steady wins the race.
20. take time to relax. Relaxing is just as important as enough sleep, exercise and enough of the right food. It lowers blood pressure and helps reduce certain stress chemicals from being released which can lead to weight gain (especially belly fat).
21. Laugh more. Watch funny stuff. You'll feel better about yourself and therefore less like eating "comfort foods" and laughing burns calories.
22. Try not to take anything too seriously, but try to log in here every day. :)

Replies

• Barbiethequeen
    Options
    Great#
  • sasssurf
    sasssurf Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Thankyou for that amazing list.
  • Victory2xs
    Victory2xs Posts: 16
    Options
    Thanks for these excellent tips. I just joined yesterday and I sure hope I will stick with it!
  • Embera
    Embera Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    ok theirs a sign on a cruves window i pass alot and it says " laughter burns calories how funny is that " so i thought id share
  • Ophelia2013
    Options
    Thank you for the information. Awesome ideas!!!!
  • Sofatosoph
    Sofatosoph Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Really good advice, thank you!