Long runs -----> faster short runs?

Options
So, I decided to put in a short run on Saturday before our 2nd Thanksgiving dinner of the holiday. We have a nice 4.5 mile loop that is what we now call our "short" loop as our other loops are 6-7 miles. No one wanted to join me so I went on my own. I kept looking at my GPS because I thought it was stuck on an avg pace of 9:22. :noway: The last mile of that loop is uphill - tough but good for me! - so my final avg pace was 9:31. :happy: My fastest avg pace on that run had been 9:50 a couple months ago. (Our typical avg pace is between 10 and 10:20 depending on the steepnes of the hills.)

Is this typical? Do the longer runs help to make the shorter ones faster?

Replies

• bjbixler
    bjbixler Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    My 5K pace got A LOT faster when I started training for my half marathon, so yes, I personally have seen a correlation. Can't wait to see if I can continue to get a faster 5K this spring as I'll be training for a marathon.

Great job!
  • arc918
    arc918 Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options
    I say it all the time, keep increasing the mileage and the speed will come naturally.
  • MissFit0101
    MissFit0101 Posts: 2,382
    Options
    Yup that's how it works for me too! Yay!
  • AZTrailRunner
    AZTrailRunner Posts: 1,199 Member
    Options
    I say it all the time, keep increasing the mileage and the speed will come naturally.

This! My 10k training plan has a long run of 17 miles. That should tell you something. :-)
  • macpatti
    macpatti Posts: 4,280 Member
    Options

That's what I was always told when training for the marathon!
  • arc918
    Options

That's what I was always told when training for the marathon!

I always say the best thing to ever happen to my half marathons was marathon training.
  • macpatti
    macpatti Posts: 4,280 Member
    Options
    I always say the best thing to ever happen to my half marathons was marathon training.

Seriously! After training for and running a marathon, the halfs are a piece of cake!
  • jturnerx
    jturnerx Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    I've been training for a trail 50km and a couple of weeks ago PR'd a road half by 4 minutes from my previous best, all without an ounce of speed work. It's all been volume and elevation gain. I probably average 10,000 - 15,000 feet of elevation gain per month during a training cycle and I peaked at 25,000 feet during the month of October before I tapered.

Funny thing too was my previous PR attempt I felt like I was going to die and was so sore afterwards. This last PR effort wasn't even a goal race and I wasn't planning on trying to PR. It was supposed to be part of an easy recovery weekend run between a 21 mile trail run the weekend before and a 24 mile trail run the weekend after. But this run felt almost easy, more like a tempo run and when I saw my finish time I was shocked because I wasn't even paying much attention to my Garmin. I could have been even faster if I wanted to.
  • arc918
    Options
    ^ ^ ^ - I always say hills are "speedwork in disguise"

I also say:

"wind is invisible hills"

"bridge is a code word for hill" - I figured this out after running the NYC marathon
  • BackwoodsMom
    BackwoodsMom Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    ^^^ "speedwork in disguise" would say a lot because we do a lot of hills. Thanks for this input and encouragement! Can't wait for my next 5K and 10K races now, especially since we're working on traiing for a half in the spring.