Body Symmetry in Bodybuilding

Options
I know, I know, not all of us are born perfectly symmetrical. After measuring all my limbs (arms, thighs, calves, forearms), I'm really seeing the difference.

My right thigh/calf is bigger than my left thigh/calf; my left arm is bigger than my right arm. My RT quad/LT Hamstring are bigger than my LT quad/ RT hamstring (is see this in PLIE squats). I can't recall the exact measurements, but if any of you have managed to somehow "fix" and grow the weaker muscles to match the bigger ones, I'd like to know how many extra reps on that weaker limb should be done. I know there is no definitive answer, but willing to hear ideas on how to get just a tad more symmetrical. LOL I realize I just made myself sound like somekind of distorted freak! I'm thinking the differences range from a 1/4 of an inch to 1/2 an inch. Not too worried, but if I can fix it, why not?

Replies

• erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    I beleive it is mostly genetics. Even pro body builders have some difference between left and right sides, and they train to be symmetrical for a living.
  • MercenaryNoetic26
    MercenaryNoetic26 Posts: 2,747 Member
    Options
    I beleive it is mostly genetics. Even pro body builders have some difference between left and right sides, and they train to be symmetrical for a living.

Oh, well. It really only bugs me when I do plie squats because I can see it. And when I post my progress, do I post the smaller or bigger muscles?! LOL, stupid I know, but I was stumped when updating my stats...
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options

Oh, well. It really only bugs me when I do plie squats because I can see it. And when I post my progress, do I post the smaller or bigger muscles?! LOL, stupid I know, but I was stumped when updating my stats...

If you want to show how "big" your muscles are post the larger measure, if you are trying to slip down, post the smaller one. :tongue: That way you will not be lying in either situation (half truths aren't lies are they?)
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,835 Member
    Options
    I think we all have some symmetry issues. Nobody is perfect.

Mine is visually obvious though. Nearly 2cm (.8 inch) difference between left & right bicep unflexed. And my left one is bigger yet I am right handed and the right side is stronger. That totally confuses the hell out of me :tongue:
  • HeidiMightyRawr
    HeidiMightyRawr Posts: 3,343 Member
    Options
    And my left one is bigger yet I am right handed and the right side is stronger. That totally confuses the hell out of me :tongue:

It confuses me too - I'm left handed yet my right side is both stronger & bigger. Left side just has the co-ordination and balance, not much else.

To the OP: I think we all have one side slightly bigger, maybe you can use dumbells to workout the smaller/weaker side and hopefully it'll catch up soon :)
  • Scott613
    Scott613 Posts: 2,317 Member
    Options

Mine is visually obvious though. Nearly 2cm (.8 inch) difference between left & right bicep unflexed. And my left one is bigger yet I am right handed and the right side is stronger. That totally confuses the hell out of me :tongue:
    same here my right arm is bigger than my left. I have a seperated acromioclavicular joint and makes my form weird when I lift.
  • MercenaryNoetic26
    Options
    Suddenly, I no longer feel the need to be symmetrical. Thank you all, for making me feel very NORMAL! :wink:
  • MercenaryNoetic26
    Options
    If you want to show how "big" your muscles are post the larger measure, if you are trying to slip down, post the smaller one. :tongue: That way you will not be lying in either situation (half truths aren't lies are they?)

I'll post the bigger everything! No matter what the difference, I gained muscle and it feels GOOD.
  • ilovedeadlifts
    ilovedeadlifts Posts: 2,923 Member
    Options
    Most people are going to be uneven.
    It's just a fact of life, something is going to be stronger.

My right arm is bigger.
    My left chest and anterior deltoid has better size.

Professional bodybuilders are uneven too. They have synthol to fix the issue.
  • mike_devo
    mike_devo Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    My top two abs are lopsided. Just gotta work around these things.
  • I_give_it_2_u_str8
    I_give_it_2_u_str8 Posts: 680 Member
    Options

same here, im right handed and my left bicep is .5 inch bigger.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,525 Member
    Options
    Symmetry is very hard to achieve if you're not genetically gifted. My left biceps "peaks" more than my right even though both are very close in tape measurement. But my right triceps, blows away my left one.

A.C.E. Certified Personal Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • Lift_hard_eat_big
    Lift_hard_eat_big Posts: 2,278 Member
    Options
    Suddenly, I no longer feel the need to be symmetrical. Thank you all, for making me feel very NORMAL! :wink:

You are any but normal, but in a fabulous way :)
  • EricMurano
    EricMurano Posts: 825 Member
    Options
    I tore one of the calf muscles in my right leg a couple of years ago and now my right calf is small than my left. I get a little sad seeing it in the mirror every time I lift weights. The physio said that doing the calf raises while it was healing is what prevents that but I swear I did them ... mostly :/
  • MercenaryNoetic26
    Options
    I tore one of the calf muscles in my right leg a couple of years ago and now my right calf is small than my left. I get a little sad seeing it in the mirror every time I lift weights. The physio said that doing the calf raises while it was healing is what prevents that but I swear I did them ... mostly :/

I have a dent on my left thigh from a steering wheel. My car slid and flipped over a tree on the right side forcing my left leg to smash up into the wheel. Dang tree keep the car from doing a 360 and it stayed standing on it's side. Thanks to all my muscle, I exited without a scratch... I had to climb out. I have 9 lives... LOL

Anyway, the DENT is still there. It adds to my "deformities". So a big part of why my right quad is significantly bigger.