Welcome! The Rules

Options
olivia3263
olivia3263 Posts: 263 Member
Hey everyone! A detailed description of this method can be found here:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/408674-the-olivia-method-the-cool-new-way-to-set-up-your-mfp-go

Here are the steps to set up MFP the Olivia Method way.

Step 1: Figure out your BMR - this is your body's calorie requirements for basic functioning. You would burn this if you just stayed in bed all day. There is a BMR calculator on this site under TOOLS. This is going to be your minimum number. You will be aiming to eat at least this much, or about 100 calories higher per day, whether you workout or not.

Step 2: Figure out your Maintenance calories before exercise. You can use MFP's calculations based on your activity level. My nutritionist used an easy calculation of BMR x 1.3 (for light activity). This is the number you're going to set your MFP calorie goal to. You're not going to eat this number, but it will be a marker for how much of a deficit you are creating.

Step 3: Figure out how many exercise calories it will take to reach a 1000 calorie deficit (the maximum). Do this by adding 1000 to your BMR, and then subtract your maintenance calories (the number you found in step 2). This number will let you know how many calories you can burn through exercise without eating them back. If you burn more than this number, you will HAVE to eat the surplus calories at least to keep your safe 1000 calorie deficit.

And when in doubt, just aim to keep that green number under "calories remaining" under 1000. Remember, an average deficit of 1000 calories = 2 pounds a week lost. 750 = 1.5 lbs lost. 500 = 1 lb lost. 250 = .5lb lost.

And don't forget to modify your settings as you lose weight to make sure the deficit you're creating is accurate.

Have fun, and good luck to all :)

Replies

• FaithHopeBELIEVE
    Options
    THANKYOUUUUU!!! Love to just have my goal set the same everyday! I was constantly changing it to zigzag. This is soooooo much easier!
  • KaeChelle
    Options
    I know you said this works best if your maintenance calories are under 2200, but I am still going to try it out just to see if I like seeing the deficit each day in the green. It will take some self-control to see the green numbers at the bottom and not eat all those calories, but I like this concept. Currently my BMR is 1915 and my maintenance calories are 2390.
  • melinda6569
    Options
    ok let me see if i have this right

BMR is 1414
    1414 x 1.3 = 1838.2
    1414 + 1000= 2414
    2414- 1838 = 576

so i can burn up to 576 calories a day and eat no more than 1515. which is 100 more than my BMR? I set my MFP at maintain and it only goes to 1770 so that is what i will start with. burn up to 576 a day and stick around 1400 and 1500 calories..Am i right? Am i still adding my exercise to MFP?
  • olivia3263
    Options

BMR is 1414
    1414 x 1.3 = 1838.2
    1414 + 1000= 2414
    2414- 1838 = 576

so i can burn up to 576 calories a day and eat no more than 1515. which is 100 more than my BMR? I set my MFP at maintain and it only goes to 1770 so that is what i will start with. burn up to 576 a day and stick around 1400 and 1500 calories..Am i right? Am i still adding my exercise to MFP?

Yes, add your exercise in so your green number (deficit number) is accurate. And feel free to bur more than 576, just make sure to eat enough to make that green number 1000 or under :)

Everything else looks good though!
  • olivia3263
    Options
    I know you said this works best if your maintenance calories are under 2200, but I am still going to try it out just to see if I like seeing the deficit each day in the green. It will take some self-control to see the green numbers at the bottom and not eat all those calories, but I like this concept. Currently my BMR is 1915 and my maintenance calories are 2390.

It'll still work for you - and now you won't have to eat so low on non workout days, verses workout days. And I gotta say, I'm addicted to that green number now - LOVE it!! Enjoy :)
  • Ssocrrbabe
    Options
    Thank you so much for posting this! This totally makes sense and I feel like it gives you more control since some days I don't workout only get to eat 1200 then hard workout days I'mab stuffing my face made no sense to me. This seems to e a lot more controll
  • melinda6569
    Options

BMR is 1414
    1414 x 1.3 = 1838.2
    1414 + 1000= 2414
    2414- 1838 = 576

Yes, add your exercise in so your green number (deficit number) is accurate. And feel free to bur more than 576, just make sure to eat enough to make that green number 1000 or under :)

Everything else looks good though!

And if i don't exercise what should the green number be?
  • _tiifyjo_
    _tiifyjo_ Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    Thanks so much for creating this group!! I have been using this method this week and I feel less hungry, which equals less grouchy! LOL But I have lost 1.5 pounds on it. So yay!
  • melinda6569
    Options
    YAY..This is good to hear :smile:
  • pinkita
    pinkita Posts: 779 Member
    Options
    Question: if my activity level during the day is sedentary, what should I multiply my BMR by? I exercise but at work I'm mostly sitting.

Thanks!
  • rosied915
    rosied915 Posts: 799 Member
    Options
    Bumping and saying HI!:flowerforyou:
  • fitnessmonthly
    fitnessmonthly Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    12/1- My weight is 192lbs BMR is 1450
    Maintence is- 1740 exercised today got 250 cals.
    So I am allowed 1990 cals today,hopefully I will see things in green.
    Aim not to eat more than 1450 cals so I have 540 cals in green.
  • smilingrn
    smilingrn Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    ok gonna give thing a try, not sure it will work for me as i have a lot of weight to loose and my maintenance calories is 2602! thats a lot of calories and as of now i eat that many calories in 2 days.......
  • DoubleE615312
    DoubleE615312 Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    I am going to try this to lose the 2 lbs per week. With the MFP method, I cannot possibly lose 2 lbs per week, even when I have my goal set to it. The closest MFP has me losing is 1.7 lbs per week with netting 1200 calories.
  • aspen1377
    aspen1377 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    I adjusted my settings a couple days ago and am enoying looking at the green number. I've been off from the gym for a little bit and start back up Monday morning (due to some obligations the next couple days). I plan to post my weight on here Monday, and then we'll see how it goes. I am down to the last 6-10 pounds or so, so I will be pleased with 1.4 pounds a week (I'd say 1.5 but may scale weighs in even increments!) Acutally even 1 pound a week for the next 6 weeks would be great. This method really makes sense to me and I think it will be a huge motivator for everyone participating to MOVE more. Seeing the green "remaining" at 400 for example and knowing that a quick walk or jog or even 15 more minutes of activity can make that number bigger will be a big motivator for people who like to push themselves. Thanks O!

Aspen
  • sunnydays33
    sunnydays33 Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    I saw this post a few days ago and after reading it (ummm, a few times) I think it makes tons of sense!! I really like the part where I feel more 'in control' of my weight loss, it's empowering!

Now, I'm not running or burning a 1k calories a day and have about 35 lbs to go...we'll see how it goes for a month or so. I sure do LOVE that green number now! It's addicting!

Let's see if I have this right:

BMR: 1496
    Maint: 1496 x 1.2=1795 (I work a desk job or am driving pretty much all day...I shoot to burn about 300-500 cal/day in excercise)
    1496+1000-1795=701

So, I set my Goal to 1795, however try to stay at 1500...then anything over 701 calories burned, I eat the difference. Right?

Thanks so much for taking the time to help so many people out! I know I am learning a LOT from you and MFP, so muchas gracias!!

~Heidi
  • rosied915
    rosied915 Posts: 799 Member
    Options
    Happy Friday Everyone!

So far, so good but got some bad news last night: my husband's company is shutting down in March and he will either lose his job or at the minimum, have a period of unemployment if they do a "fire/ re-hire".

The scary part for us is my medications for MS~ I take a needle each night that costs about $4500 per month~ of course with insurance, we don't pay that, but without insurance...........oy.........

In the meantime, I should be doiing everything I can aside from medications to give myself the best MS experience possible, right?
    So that's what I'll keep doing!

Everyone have a good day and take a moment to be grateful for what you have.......we did last night.......
  • shydaisi
    shydaisi Posts: 833 Member
    Options
    I think I am going to try this out for the week and see how it goes.

I have set my daily goal to 1940 as this is my maintenance caloric goal.
    I plan to eat about 1540 which is my BMR, but no less than 1200.
    I will not eat more than the 1540 until I have burned more than 600 calories.
    This should give me a weight loss of 1.0 to 1.5 pounds per week without exercise (because of the 400 to 740 deficit), but more if I do (but no more than 2.0 pounds as I will cap at a deficit of 1000).

Does that sound right?
  • olivia3263
    Options
    I think I am going to try this out for the week and see how it goes.

I have set my daily goal to 1940 as this is my maintenance caloric goal.
    I plan to eat about 1540 which is my BMR, but no less than 1200.
    I will not eat more than the 1540 until I have burned more than 600 calories.
    This should give me a weight loss of 1.0 to 1.5 pounds per week without exercise (because of the 400 to 740 deficit), but more if I do (but no more than 2.0 pounds as I will cap at a deficit of 1000).

Does that sound right?

Not quite - you never want to eat less than your BMR, so you shouldn't be consuming anywhere near 1200 calories. 1540 is your absolute minimum for any day, whether you exercise or not. If you burn more than 600, then you have to eat more than 1540 (so if you burn 800, you need to eat at least 1740).

You'll already be creating a 400 calorie deficit by eating 1540 without exercise. You could not exercise and lose .75 pounds a week doing this. You could burn 100 calories a day through exercise to reach a 500 calorie deficit (1 pound a week). If you want the full 1000 calorie deficit (2 pounds a week) you need to burn at least 600 calories and not eat them back.
  • olivia3263
    Options
    Question: if my activity level during the day is sedentary, what should I multiply my BMR by? I exercise but at work I'm mostly sitting.

Thanks!