Welcome! The Rules

Options

Replies

• nikkit321
    nikkit321 Posts: 1,485 Member
    Options
    I'm 158, 5'6 and am hopeful that your plan will get me losing again.

Step 1 BMR - 1393 (according to MFP's Tools calculation)
    Step 2 Maintenance - 1393 x 1.2 = 1672 (desk job)
    Step 3 - 1393 + 1000 - 1672 = 721

So I eat a minimum of 1393 BMR, and can burn up to 721 in exercise before I have to eat any exercise calories. Am I right?
  • DawnMac85
    DawnMac85 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    HI! I'm going to give this method a try also!
    Step 1 BMR 1262
    Step 2 Maintenance 1262 x 1.3= 1641
    Step 3 1262 + 1000 - 1641 = 621
    So I eat a minimum of 1360 cals and can burn up to 621 in exercise before eating extra calories?
  • bluiz13
    bluiz13 Posts: 3,550 Member
    Options
    Please confirm I've got this right.

Bmr per mfp tool = 1453
    Maintenance = 1889
    Deficit = 554

Set daily goal to 1889 on MFP (I set macros to 40/30/30)
    Set exercise goal to 0 day, 0 cals

I workout 6 days a week and burn per my hrm between 300-700 cals depending on the workout.
    I should enter my workouts and plan my day to eat at least 1453 cals per day.
    If I "leave" at least 500 cals remaining or "in the bank" each day I should have a 1lb loss each week, correct???
  • bluiz13
    Options
    can someone please confirm this is right???
    Please confirm I've got this right.

Bmr per mfp tool = 1453
    Maintenance = 1889
    Deficit = 554

Set daily goal to 1889 on MFP (I set macros to 40/30/30)
    Set exercise goal to 0 day, 0 cals

I workout 6 days a week and burn per my hrm between 300-700 cals depending on the workout.
    I should enter my workouts and plan my day to eat at least 1453 cals per day.
    If I "leave" at least 500 cals remaining or "in the bank" each day I should have a 1lb loss each week, correct???
  • kikkipoo
    kikkipoo Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    You nailed it!
  • cgrout78
    cgrout78 Posts: 1,679 Member
    Options
    Just to clafify...my net calories don't matter, so long as I don't have more than 1000 "green" calories...correct?
  • shydaisi
    shydaisi Posts: 833 Member
    Options
    Just to clafify...my net calories don't matter, so long as I don't have more than 1000 "green" calories...correct?

Correct! :)
  • olivia3263
    olivia3263 Posts: 263 Member
    Options

Absolutely right.
  • bluiz13
    Options
    1000 green deficit is 2lbs a week and 500 green deficit is 1lb a week loss right???
    I'm trying to reach a 3500 cal deficit each week for 1lb loss right??

Absolutely right.
  • shydaisi
    shydaisi Posts: 833 Member
    Options
    1000 green deficit is 2lbs a week and 500 green deficit is 1lb a week loss right???
    I'm trying to reach a 3500 cal deficit each week for 1lb loss right??

Absolutely right.

Correct!
  • moxleymama6
    moxleymama6 Posts: 537 Member
    Options
    Maintenance 1,735
    - BMR -1,335

So I need 600 exercise cals. per day to create a 1,000 cal. deficit and I eat all 1,335 BMR cals unless I exercise more than 600 cals. then I eat those extra cals. over 600 back ( or less than 600 cals. then I subtract the difference from the 1,335). So, if I only exercise 400 cals worth one day I eat 1,135 cals that day?? But if I exercise 700 cals. then I eat 1,435 that day?

Am I understanding this correctly?

Using Mfp's method my nets on heavy workout days look incredibly low and on recovery/rest days I go over my Mfp calculated 1230. I'm hoping this might help even things out. But it looks like on rest days I should be eating 735 cals. on this method and that doesn't seem right! Help!!
  • LoozingIt
    LoozingIt Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Ok, I think I have the calories set correctly but I have a question. Do I enter my exercise calories when I work out? I usually burn 350-500 calories when I work out. If I add them, the green number gets larger (obviously).
  • jujuwoome
    Options
    I have been befuddled frankly at all the information on MFP for the last month since joining. I have lost 7.4 pounds but I feel confused about it and I am not really sure this 1200 calorie a day thing is for me. I work out min 5 times a week usually burning 350-450 on average. One workout I do usually takes me over 650 (calculated by HRM). The biggest question for me was do I eat exercise calories or not. I stumbled into a post today that someone mentioned the Olivia Method in and I have spent probably two hours this morning reading this forum and it was like a light bulb went off.

Here's my numbers that I calculated just to double check they are accurate.

BMR- 1338

1338 x 1.3= 1739 Maintenance

1338+1000=2338-1739=599

I have set the goals on MFP to maintenance and entered in the 1739. I will eat no less than 1338 calories a day. And my Green Number (GN) shouldn't be more than 1000 or I have to eat some of those calories back from exercise.

So my understanding is that I will have an automatic deficit a day of 401 calories (1739-1338=401) pre-exercise and any exercise is bonus deficit.

I think the hardest thing for me to transition is to not look at the net calories anymore. Cause it makes me look like I am really undereating a lot. For example, Tuesday I ate 1512 calories and achieved 566 exercise calories. That put me net at 946. I should just ignore that right? It's really hard to do since all I read on the site is "don't go below 1200 net calories).

I want to do this right! Any comments or suggestions?
  • jchrisman717
    jchrisman717 Posts: 780 Member
    Options
    Ok - I am going to try this too. Wow - what happened to the days when all I had to do to lose weight was eat less for about a week!! haha So if I have this right - my weight is 164. I sit at a desk for work but I am pretty active otherwise (I try to get up and take the stairs several times a day, etc.). I want to get down to 135 so I have roughly 30 lbs to lose.

I walk at lunch almost every day - power walking for about 30 to 45 min. so if I'm understanding this correctly - I would log this into MFP. I do a personal training class which has cardio/pilates and strength training for 45 min. 3 days week. I would also log this class.

Two questions - I don't have an HMR and really can't afford one yet, but it is on my list for my next purchase - I guess that MFP gives you too many exercise calories in its calcuations? So to make up for that I have only been logging 30 min. for my class and I -15 min. from my walks so that I'm over estimating my exercise calories. Do you guys that that is ok for now? If I do the gym I usually log what is on the elliptical or treadmill for calories burned.

So if I'm doing this correctly my BMR is 1332; my maintenance is 1731 - the difference is 601. So I would set my calories on MFP to 1731 - I would always eat at least 1332 calories or a litle more say 1400 to be round. I would log all my exercise calories and if my GN goes over 1000 then eat those back so that number stays below 1000. Right?
  • amandacochran15
    Options
    How does this sound?

BMR: 1391
    Maintenance: 1808

set my daily goal to 1808 but only eat 1400.
    On my off days, I should create a green number of 408
    On the days that I do work out (usually 500 burn) 908 should be my green number.
    If I were to work out at 500 for 6 days and one off day at 408, I should have a week of 5856, which will put me at almost 2 pounds per week?
  • annasgyal
    annasgyal Posts: 1,692 Member
    Options
    Ok, so I have heard about this method, and will give it a try....To verify I have this right

BMR is 1727
    1727 x 1.3 = 2245
    2245 + 1000= 3245
    2245-1727= 518
  • JennC831
    JennC831 Posts: 631 Member
    Options
    I really want to try this out....

Question #1: Do I use the BMR of the weight I want to be or the weight I am currently??

Question#2: Do I add in my burn exercise calories?

Question #3: I work at a desk all day so would I multiply my BMR by 1.2 or 1.3 for maintenance?

Could someone give me an example of how the Goal/Food/Exercise/Net/Remaining should look like for exercise days and non-exercise days????

Thank you so much!!

I'm currently 165 height 5'5.... I would like to weigh 145-150....
  • dearaja
    Options
    Thank You Olivia!!!

Just reset MFP to the "olivia method"... This seems to make a lot of sense for me, I am 5'7" and have about 20lbs to lose - I'm currently doing P90X and also take spinning classes for extra cardio on the weekends. I just finished my first month of P90X and found that I toned up, but didn't lose weight (I did a full round last year, and found the same thing to be true)... I now think that's because I've been eating back exercise calories that could have been contributing to a healthy deficit (I tend to only burn approx 500 calories for most workouts)! On the flip side... on the weekends, when I spin, I burn over to 1500 calories in the day, but have not been eating nearly enough to fuel my body for this type of workout.

Anyway, we'll see how it goes when I weigh in next week, but I'm keeping my fingers crossed that this method is going to help kick start my weight loss!
  • sparetirebegone
    sparetirebegone Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    Love this! Will be trying this out for sure!
  • ekolson
    ekolson Posts: 19
    Options
    Someone please help me! I am SO, SO confused by the olivia method, but I really want to try it. I have read the rules over and over, but I cannot get it into my head?It just does not go in! I DO NOT deal with numbers well, I am an artist by profession, so I am really really confused about this. HA. UGH!

I have done step one (only because the tools did it for me!)....my BMR is 1,641 calories per day....but after that, I am really, really confused.

I don't really work out that much...burn at most 350 calories per workout (I don't have a gym membership and can't do high impact workouts, so my DVD workouts are limited).

I want to lose at least 10 lbs...but I want to use the Olivia method because I mean, what I understand of it does make sense and I've doing so poorly lately. If anyone can help me I'd appreciate it! Thanks!

P.S. I'm not dumb just because I don't understand this method, i went to college just FYI hahaha

ALSO, height: 6'1"
    current weight: 168lb
    goal weight: 155.

I used to naturally be 145, but I have become so inactive, plus some traveling in Italy really packed on the pounds.