Steel cut oats?

Options
Pebble321
Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
Hi fellow Aussies, I've seen lots of references to steel cut oats and finally got curious enough to check out the difference between steel cut and rolled oats. It sounds as though steel cut oats have more nutrition (though take longer to cook) than rolled oats.
Has anyone seen them in Australian shops? I usually buy home brand rolled oats and don't recall seeing any steel cut - but maybe I haven't looked hard enough!

Replies

• it_be_asin
    it_be_asin Posts: 562 Member
    Options
    I found a pack at my local health food store and tried them last weekend. They take longer to cook (20-45 minutes or overnight), but they do seem to have a nice nutty taste to them that makes rolled and instant oats just taste too white and processed. I have to perfect the cooking technique this weekend, the instructions on the pack were a bit off and I will try some instructions from great auntie Google instead.
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    I liked the sound of the steel cut oats (in the oven) from the oatmeal thread earlier today - it's what got me thinking about steel cut oats.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/409000-oatmeal?hl=oatmeal&page=2#posts-5640461
  • babyworms
    babyworms Posts: 1,304 Member
    Options
    I went to my local health food store and got them to order them in for me.
  • Ange_
    Ange_ Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    I get multigrain oats from woolworths. They have 2 brands there an Uncle Toby's one and some other one with barley as well. These I find these great and they do have way more goodness than plain old rolled oats.
  • it_be_asin
    it_be_asin Posts: 562 Member
    Options
    The goodness superfoods instant oats and barley have a nice nutty taste and cook in a few minutes. Between those and the steel cut oats I have I am not sure I ever want to go back to rolled oats!