Creating your own exercises

Options
I saw a few people comment, including myself, about how the paces are kind of spread out in the data base. I just created my own by going to the exercise tab, then My Exercises and created the run at my pace instead of one 10 seconds slower per mile. (Don't want to shortchange myself... ;) ) I calculated the calories burned per minute and used amount when creating it. That way when I run that pace for different amounts of time, the calculation will still figure out the right amount of cals burned. I took the numbers of cals burned from my RunningAhead running log that I've used for years and seems to be fairly accurate.

Replies

• morganalefay66
    morganalefay66 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Cool. I took a brief glance at that tool, because I'm considering creating my own exercise, too: trail running. Even if I run the same slow pace on the trails as I do on the roads, the ffort on the trails is greater, because of the different terrain. What's weird is that I was just a little faster on the trail yesterday than I was recently on the roads. I'll have to see if that'll work with this tool.
  • mjsmith1223
    Options
    Interesting. In the past I've estimated the calories burned while running using a formula (.63 x body weight x distance in miles). I've always used the same for roads and trails because it's just an estimate anyway. Are you all using a HRM to more accurately determine calorie burn?

It's good to know I can enter my own runs with my own calories burn estimate. Then I'm not tied to the pre-set paces and calorie estimates.
  • ZackCB
    Options
    I run with a HRM sometimes and based on my run data, I think it calulates calories as .72 x bodyweight x miles.
  • mjsmith1223
    Options
    So, is the different constant correcting for estimated pace? I am kind of slow, so maybe a little lower estimate of burn is better?
  • Bob_III
    Options
    I saw that people were saying there wasn't a pace from 10 to 11:30 or something like that. If you run at say 10:30 pace all the time and use a Garmin, you can enter the amount of calories you've burned for that pace in one minute, and save it. Then you can just click on it and enter the minutes run to log your workout.
  • before40
    Options
    My Garmin HRM is all over the place. MFP seems to exaggerate what I may be burning. Probably will just continuing guessing at it, conservatively, based on mileage.