the word retard

Grimmerick
Grimmerick Posts: 3,342 Member
edited October 5 in Social Groups
Fifty years ago when you wanted to say someone was mentally handicapped it was the proper use of the word to call them retarded it wasn't negative at that point. Now skip forward to now and the word has been used and abused so much that it's considered bad to call someone retarded even if they really are mentally handicapped. When I use the word retarded in my mind it has nothing to do with a mentally handicapped person. I grew up calling them mentally handicapped , I would never in a million years call a mentally handicapped person retarded because to me you just don't use that word when talking about people like that anymore because it has become something so negative that it's not the proper use anymore. However when I see someone being stupid I will say they are acting retarded (bearing in mind that there isn't a mentally handicapped person around, I wouldn't use that term if there was just in case it might hurt their feelings.) So is it ever ok to use the word retarded anymore or should we just strike it from the English language completely?

Replies

• chocolateandvodka
    chocolateandvodka Posts: 1,850 Member
    the same is true for the words "*kitten*", "gay", "*kitten*", "bitch", etc...  being an avid lover of etymology myself, i could not bring myself to consider striking a word from the English vocabulary... it simply must be used appropriately with respect to the societal perspective.
  • staceyGO
    staceyGO Posts: 376
    I just called myself retarded in an email to a colleague... I understand its politically incorrect but I am never using to hurt anyone's feelings... its kind of a habit unfortunately. And I would never use it to refer to a handicapped individual though. Sticky subject, I feel my use is harmless though.
  • adjones5
    adjones5 Posts: 938 Member
    the same is true for the words "*kitten*", "gay", "*kitten*", "bitch", etc...  being an avid lover of etymology myself, i could not bring myself to consider striking a word from the English vocabulary... it simply must be used appropriately with respect to the societal perspective.

I second this.
  • poisongirl6485
    poisongirl6485 Posts: 1,487 Member

.... what's wrong with the word *kitten*?
  • poisongirl6485
    Also, you can't 'strike' a word out of a language. What are you going to do, have the word police go around and fine everybody who uses an illegal word?
  • Grimmerick
    Grimmerick Posts: 3,342 Member
    Also, you can't 'strike' a word out of a language. What are you going to do, have the word police go around and fine everybody who uses an illegal word?

please keep in mind this is a hypothetical debate question lol, it leaves us open for more interesting opinions.
  • macpatti
    macpatti Posts: 4,280 Member
    IF we could strike words from a language, I'd vote for this one. I'd strike the 'n word' out, too.
  • MrBrown72
    MrBrown72 Posts: 407 Member
    I think people try way too hard to be politically correct. In fact i think the whole politically correct movement has almost destroyed honesty and open communication in many parts of our everyday lives. Really I can't imagine a better world than one in which people just say what they mean.

There is no way to be politically correct all the time without lying.

Being respectful is one thing, but avoiding a word that properly describes a thing is just silly. .
  • BuffyEat2Live
    BuffyEat2Live Posts: 327 Member
    The word usually offends me. Let's just call all people "people". Must we name call?
  • MrBrown72
    MrBrown72 Posts: 407 Member
    well if you go for the literal definition: Retardation is the act or result of delaying...

In fact this message was retarded.
  • macpatti
    Being respectful is one thing, but avoiding a word that properly describes a thing is just silly. .

The problem we have is that people do not use the appropriate words to properly describe someone.
  • macpatti
    DP
  • chocolateandvodka
    DP

epic. on so many levels.
  • macpatti
    DP

epic. on so many levels.

Explanation???
  • TheRoadDog
    TheRoadDog Posts: 11,788 Member
    IF we could strike words from a language, I'd vote for this one. I'd strike the 'n word' out, too.

And then what? The C word? They are just words.

What if I get together with the Bald guy coalition and we decide "Bald" is derogatory? We gotta come up with something new?

They are just words. I'm not a fan of censorship. I'm more a fan of courteousness.
  • chocolateandvodka
    TRD - i second your comment.
  • macpatti

What if I get together with the Bald guy coalition and we decide "Bald" is derogatory? We gotta come up with something new?

They are just words. I'm not a fan of censorship. I'm more a fan of courteousness.

Words are not always "just words". Words hurt people, especially ones that are racist, hate-filled, discriminatory, or harrassing. There are certain words throughout history that have changed, as the OP indicated. If they're only being used incorrectly, strike 'em!
  • macpatti
    DP

epic. on so many levels.
    Explanation???

Still no explanation?
  • TheRoadDog

Words are not always "just words". Words hurt people, especially ones that are racist, hate-filled, discriminatory, or harrassing. There are certain words throughout history that have changed, as the OP indicated. If they're only being used incorrectly, strike 'em!

I'll never support censorship. Many words and printed materials have caused great grief in the world history. Bible is right up there. Would you support banning the Bible to promote world harmony?
  • macpatti
    I'll never support censorship. Many words and printed materials have caused great grief in the world history. Bible is right up there. Would you support banning the Bible to promote world harmony?

I must have misunderstood. I was referring only to banning certain words from our speech vocabulary.
  • kennethmgreen
    kennethmgreen Posts: 1,759 Member
    Why is this word any different than racial epithets we now consider offensive? It's pretty much the same argument, isn't it?

The etymology of a word can show wildly varied uses and meanings.

See: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/395377-the-n-word
  • poisongirl6485
    DP

epic. on so many levels.
    Explanation???

Still no explanation?

Maybe my mind is just perpetually in the gutter, but maybe DP was just funny because it can also stand for something...sexual?
  • SiltyPigeon
    SiltyPigeon Posts: 920 Member
    This thread is retarded.
  • TheRoadDog
    This thread is retarded.

Amen
  • macpatti
    Maybe my mind is just perpetually in the gutter, but maybe DP was just funny because it can also stand for something...sexual?

Yup. I'm right there with you. So, I'd like the explantion of why that was directed as "epic on so many levels" at me? Just wondering what she's really trying to say. :wink:
  • macpatti
    Well, Emmy, I guess this was a stupid thread.
  • poisongirl6485

please keep in mind this is a hypothetical debate question lol, it leaves us open for more interesting opinions.

Touche.

Anyway, I don't like the word either. It can be offensive, and if the wrong person hears it (like a mother with a child that has special needs) then they better prepare for the backlash.
  • poisongirl6485

Yup. I'm right there with you. So, I'd like the explantion of why that was directed as "epic on so many levels" at me? Just wondering what she's really trying to say. :wink:

Maybe they really enjoy DP? LOL. :laugh:
  • macpatti
    Touche.

Anyway, I don't like the word either. It can be offensive, and if the wrong person hears it (like a mother with a child that has special needs) then they better prepare for the backlash.

That's me! My son has autism; he's not retarded. Most people use this word to mean someone is stupid or dumb. I mentioned in another thread that I asked one of his teachers during Open House how David was doing. His reply, "He sits in the back with other weird kids, so he's fine". So when David tells me the teacher allows other kids to call him a "tard", I tend to believe him.
  • poisongirl6485
    Touche.

That's me! My son has autism; he's not retarded. Most people use this word to mean someone is stupid or dumb. I mentioned in another thread that I asked one of his teachers during Open House how David was doing. His reply, "He sits in the back with other weird kids, so he's fine". So when David tells me the teacher allows other kids to call him a "tard", I tend to believe him.

I would have FLIPPED out on that teacher. My son has apraxia so he's in his 2nd year of preschool for the speech therapy (although he won't be considered special needs next year as he's caught up super quick), and if one of his teachers said something like that I would LOSE IT on them.
This discussion has been closed.