Trying to make a plan

Options
tuneses
tuneses Posts: 467 Member
First im new so hello!!

I want to start lifting at the gym a few times a week. I run for cardio. I run 4 miles pushing a jogging stroller (60lbs ish) about 2 times a week and distance run one day week. This week I'm up to 10 miles. My question is if I should bother working on legs at the gym. My husband said not to bother cause of the running and focus on the rest. My main concern on my legs is my inner thighs, the rest is pretty banging already. I want to work at the gym cause childcare is free and i need the break lol Thanks!!!

Replies

• hkfleming
    hkfleming Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    Hi! I found Stroutman's blog on strength training basics to be a huge help. While I had been strength training for months, once I tweaked my routine and began following his suggestions, I was stunned at how quickly my muscles began responding. This may or may not be of help to you, but here is the link to the blog post if you want to read through it

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/stroutman81/view/resistance-training-foundation-19725

In general, I find Stroutman (Steve)'s information to be a gold mine. He's very smart and his advice is thoughtful, pragmatic and elegantly simple.

Good luck to you!!!
  • hkfleming
    hkfleming Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    Sorry, I didn't address the specific question about training your legs! I'm not expert at all, but I think you'd be pleased with the results of training your lower body at the same rate you train your upper body. My lunges, squats and deadlifts have really given me some great new functional strength as well as the beginnings of definition. Mind you, I HATE doing lunges and squats with a fiery passion, but I see the benefit so I do it :D
  • VinVenture
    Options
    I'm on this one:

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/womans_lean_sexy_bible.htm

I say work the legs (a lot of people neglect them 'cause of running and the like). You'll need them strong if you're going to be lifting, for balance and such.

I for one, love doing squats. I'm envious of my boyfriend who's limber enough to do them, pardon my French, *kitten* to grass (way beyond parallel) :) Good luck, mind your form and have fun!