• agthorn
    agthorn Posts: 1,844 Member
    Options
    Anyone else here using JeFit to track?
    I do!
  • pouringraina
    pouringraina Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    I just did my first NROLFW workout today, and loved it! I'm addicted now! haha.
    I am already sore, so I will be drinking a lot of low sodium v8 for the potassium! I did the squats with just the bar, and I plan on using weights on the step ups next time...TOO EASY! Either that or I wasn't using a high enough step, lol. We couldn't find anything that wasnt being used to do pushups on that wasnt more than a 30 degree angle, so I only got 10 reps on the second set.

Overall, I did pretty good!

My goal is to see some sort of progress, whether that be inches lost, strengh gained, or weight lost. I am 215lbs, and at the beginning of my weight loss journey, but I realized that it is not logical to just do cardio and not lift. I am SO looking forward to my results!
  • JennC831
    JennC831 Posts: 631 Member
    Options
    Please help!! LOL

I started this workout on Monday.. .Since I was confused about how to interpret the charts I did charts A and B on Monday... But now that I think I know how to read them on Wednesday I'll do chart B. What I'm confused about how to read workouts 1,2 / workouts 3,4..

Has anyone downloaded the excel spreadsheets? I'm confused about WO 1, WO 2, WO 3, WO4... Should I be doing each exercise 4 times? Or does WO 1 represent the day I'm working out?

Would Monday have been work out 1 chart A doing 2 sets of 15 reps, Wednesday is work out 2 chart B doing 2 sets of 15 reps, and then Friday is work out 3 chart A doing 2 sets of 12 reps (with heavier weights?) Then next Monday will be workout 4 chart A doing 2 sets of 12 reps?
    You're supposed to do each level of reps/sets twice. So if you are lifting 3x a week your first two weeks would look like this:
    Monday - Stage 1A (squats), 2 sets of 15
    Wednesday - Stage 1B (deadlifts), 2 sets of 15
    Friday - Stage 1A, 2 sets of 15
    Monday - Stage 1B, 2 sets of 15
    Wednesday - Stage 1A, 2 sets of 12
    Friday - Stage 1B, 2 sets of 12

Thank you sooo much!!!
  • Melis25Fit
    Melis25Fit Posts: 811 Member
    Options
    Hey ladies! I am going to do the first workout of the Workout B today! Started on Monday, and holy cow am I still feeling it in my arms today! :o) It's a good hurt!

How's everyone else handling thier workouts? I'm lifting M-W-F and doing Cardio T-Th-Sat. For cardio, I'm doing some running/walking intervals for about 30 mins.
  • DarkAngellEyes
    DarkAngellEyes Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    I just started the second week of Stage 1 (Workout B) yesterday... I'm lifting Tuesdays, Thursdays and Saturdays and doing a pretty intense boxing class on Mondays and Wednesday.

So far I find that I feel the "B" workouts more the following day... hence the soreness in my shoulders today!

I'm wondering how often you all increase the weight you use - do you do a few workouts with the same weight? or try to increase it a bit each time?
  • kelseyhere
    kelseyhere Posts: 1,123 Member
    Options
    I'm lifting M-W-F, and doing one hour cardio T-Th (and sometimes a long walk with the dog on the weekend). My cardio is usually some kind of class, like Les Mills Body Attack.

So far, I've been trying to increase my weight everytime, but definitely when the reps go down. I try and do 5 pounds more if I can, but if not I keep the same weight. When the reps are reduced (from 15 to 12 for example) I definitely make sure to increase by at least 5 pounds for upper body, and 10 for lower body exercises. The idea is that with less reps, you can actually lift more weight because the time is shorter.
    I just did my first NROLFW workout today, and loved it! I'm addicted now! haha.
    I am already sore, so I will be drinking a lot of low sodium v8 for the potassium! I did the squats with just the bar, and I plan on using weights on the step ups next time...TOO EASY! Either that or I wasn't using a high enough step, lol. We couldn't find anything that wasnt being used to do pushups on that wasnt more than a 30 degree angle, so I only got 10 reps on the second set.

Overall, I did pretty good!

My goal is to see some sort of progress, whether that be inches lost, strengh gained, or weight lost. I am 215lbs, and at the beginning of my weight loss journey, but I realized that it is not logical to just do cardio and not lift. I am SO looking forward to my results!

Pouringraina, excellent realization that cardio alone isn't enough! I see soooo many women at the gym that only do cardio, and while they are skinny, they are so weak! Congrats on getting started I think you will find the rest of us are all hear for the same reasons: to get stronger, feel more confident, and of course hopefully trim a little fat off of all of our various "problem" areas :)

In response to your other comment, I might recommend that before you try increasing your step height, add some weight to your hands. Only 10 pounds in each hand makes this exercise much more difficult for me, and if you inscrease the step height too much you risk hurting your knees.
  • Beeps2011
    Beeps2011 Posts: 11,983 Member
    Options
    I have been increasing my weight everytime. Sometimes I am "successful", sometimes "not", and I have to drop back. But, I give it a "try".

For example, today I tried to do my push-ups on a 30 degree incline (down from a 45 degree incline). I could do 3. I did the next 7 reps on the 45 degree incline. But, after that rest, I went back to the 30 degree incline and did 3 more before going to the 45 degree incline.

I MUCH prefer the B work-outs...squats (currently) are my nemesis!
  • Jennifer0878
    Jennifer0878 Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    Well crud....After reading the previous posts, I realize that I messed up my first Workout B. My kids got a hold of my workout logs and colored on them. I thought I had them in order, but I discovered today that I really did the reps. for Workout 5B. Oops.....At least I made notes about weight changed I need to make, so hopefully I didn't screw up too much!
  • livelightsmile
    livelightsmile Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I did 1A on Tuesday, and planned to do 1B today, but between serious soreness and bad PMS cramps, I decided to take an extra day to recover. I was surprised how sore I got from 1 workout... and how weak I've become, since the last time I trained. Yikes! I'm sure it will get easier, as the weight comes off and I get stronger. I haven't been this big in many years.
  • agthorn
    Options
    I did 1A on Tuesday, and planned to do 1B today, but between serious soreness and bad PMS cramps, I decided to take an extra day to recover. I was surprised how sore I got from 1 workout... and how weak I've become, since the last time I trained. Yikes! I'm sure it will get easier, as the weight comes off and I get stronger. I haven't been this big in many years.
    You should probably plan to not lift two days in a row anyways. The NROLW workouts are total body so they're not intended to be done back to back.
  • livelightsmile
    livelightsmile Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    You should probably plan to not lift two days in a row anyways. The NROLW workouts are total body so they're not intended to be done back to back.

Whoops... I meant Monday. I took Tuesday off, just took an easy 30 minute walk... and planned to lift again today, Wednesday. I didn't do anything today at all, which means that I ended up taking 2 days off between workouts already. I'm looking forward to 1B tomorrow, but I pray that I don't have to wait 2 days after that to train again. LOL
  • agthorn
    Options

Whoops... I meant Monday. I took Tuesday off, just took an easy 30 minute walk... and planned to lift again today, Wednesday. I didn't do anything today at all, which means that I ended up taking 2 days off between workouts already. I'm looking forward to 1B tomorrow, but I pray that I don't have to wait 2 days after that to train again. LOL
    Ah, gotcha. The first week was rough, but I didn't have too much trouble with it after that. Sore, but not "OMG IT HURTS TO MOVE" sore beyond the first two sessions. Icy Hot was my friend for about a week.
  • JennC831
    Options
    How long is it taken you all to complete the exercises? I'm in stage 1 and did work out 2 yesterday, chart B and I'll be honest I didn't do the full 60 second rest... But even with them I feel I could get through the all the exercises in less than 25 minutes... Am I doing something wrong?

Also are you ladies doing any extra exercises on your lift days or just sticking to the outline? On my off days from lifting (Tue/Thur/ and maybe Sat) I want to try to get in some good cardio..

My plan is to lift M-W-F / Cardio for sure Tuesday & Thursday and most Saturdays... I have AF reserves this weekend so I don't know if I'll be able to get it in this weekend...
  • BetterWithAge
    Options
    How long is it taken you all to complete the exercises? I'm in stage 1 and did work out 2 yesterday, chart B and I'll be honest I didn't do the full 60 second rest... But even with them I feel I could get through the all the exercises in less than 25 minutes... Am I doing something wrong?

Also are you ladies doing any extra exercises on your lift days or just sticking to the outline? On my off days from lifting (Tue/Thur/ and maybe Sat) I want to try to get in some good cardio..

My plan is to lift M-W-F / Cardio for sure Tuesday & Thursday and most Saturdays... I have AF reserves this weekend so I don't know if I'll be able to get it in this weekend...

The workouts have been around 20-25 minutes for me, so far. I started Stage 1 on Monday and have been too sore to include cardio on the non-lifting days. I should be better by next week so I am planning some HIIT for 20-30 on the off days. My lift days are M-W-F and HIIT days will be Tu-Th-Sa
  • Harkins86
    Harkins86 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Hello Ladies!

Am i glad to find you!!!

I did 1A on Tuesday and loved it. I thought this isn't too bad at all. Well not I ache a lot lol, better take it a bit easier tomorrow. I wish you were all in my gym, I haven't seen another woman doing weights. I have only been once though so fingers crossed I can find a friend tomorrow. I might do a short swim later, see if i can loosen up my hips.

Happy lifting!
  • camckinney
    camckinney Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Which thread should we be posting in as there is a January progress thread and this January Start thread???? I was posting in the other thread but found more people seem to be posting comments/questions here.

I started this week with Stage 1. I have been VERY sore, but pushing through and glad I am! Cardio to come on off days once the soreness is not as intense.
  • JennC831
    Options
    Which thread should we be posting in as there is a January progress thread and this January Start thread???? I was posting in the other thread but found more people seem to be posting comments/questions here.

I started this week with Stage 1. I have been VERY sore, but pushing through and glad I am! Cardio to come on off days once the soreness is not as intense.

I have no clue which thread to post in.. I've been doing both.. LOL..

I started this week as well.. SUPER SORE!!! My lift days are MWF and I've just decided that since I still have weight to lose (I at least want to get in the 150's) I'm going to do Cardio afterwards.. Then on Tuesdays and Thursdays I'll just do straight cardio...
  • Beeps2011
    Options
    I'm posting all over the place, too....
  • BetterWithAge
    Options
    I have been only slightly sore for the last couple of days and will add the HIIT on non-lifting days starting next week. Overall, I did pretty good staying on target with nutrition. I feel like I am eating a lot, but I am sure that is only because I was starving my body for so long. I am quite certain that my metabolism is all messed up and am trying to get it started again. With one good week under my belt, I have three more to go before I reevaluate the numbers. I feel great and am optimistic. :)
  • Beeps2011
    Options
    I'm with you, Better....trying to keep my calories raised, like the book says - and see where I am in a month or so.