Anyone else trying this way of figuring your calories?

Options
I saw this post last week and have been trying to log my calories her way. Seems to be working better than what I was doing before. It sounds confusing at first but if you take it step by step, it's not so bad.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/409954-welcome-the-rules

Replies

• opalmel
    opalmel Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    I've looked into it and decided it makes a lot of sense. I'm going to try it starting today!

Thanks for letting me know about it.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,020 Member
    Options
    I've been on MFP since August of 2007. This (the quoted "idea") has always been the goal of MFP.

The problem on this site is when people who don't have much weight to lose - say under 35 pounds - attempt to lose two pounds per week. That's just not realistic, and isn't the way the site is designed.

This calorie counter is a "dumb" tool. That means that it will try to help you get to your goal, depending on how you set it up. It has always been the user's responsibility to do enough research and use the tools available to figure their individual requirements.

The "Olivia's method" is just a user trying to do your research for you. All this info is already available here. You just have to use the tool as it is intended to be used, and not abuse it.

All this info was given to us when we enrolled in this site and set up our goals.
  • BackwoodsMom
    BackwoodsMom Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    I've been on MFP since August of 2007. This (the quoted "idea") has always been the goal of MFP.

The problem on this site is when people who don't have much weight to lose - say under 35 pounds - attempt to lose two pounds per week. That's just not realistic, and isn't the way the site is designed.

This calorie counter is a "dumb" tool. That means that it will try to help you get to your goal, depending on how you set it up. It has always been the user's responsibility to do enough research and use the tools available to figure their individual requirements.

The "Olivia's method" is just a user trying to do your research for you. All this info is already available here. You just have to use the tool as it is intended to be used, and not abuse it.

All this info was given to us when we enrolled in this site and set up our goals.

Guess it just made it easier for me to understand and set up, though. But I understand your point about doing our own research and the rate of weight loss. I do like having the calories listed for me in a different way. It works for me but I'm sure not for others. As always, we have to figure out what we each need to do to reach our goal.
  • debs6
    debs6 Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    I have just stayed with what I started with at standard set up as it works for me. I might try tweaking things if I come to a halt and still need to lose weight.

Debbie
  • kmuellka
    Options
    I saw this post last week and have been trying to log my calories her way. Seems to be working better than what I was doing before. It sounds confusing at first but if you take it step by step, it's not so bad.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/409954-welcome-the-rules

I've been figuring calories this way for about 2 weeks now and I really like it. I lost 2 pounds both weeks and it didn't seem hard at all. Some days I exercised and some days I didn't. As long as you keep the 'green" number between 500 and 1000, it seems this way gives you more flexibility.