Support for quiting!

Options
Yay! I've lost close to about 50lbs on my journey, and I promised that my next step would be to quit smoking. Now, my husband and I have both smoked for about 10 years. There is no option of my husband smoking, and I am okay with that. What are some tips you guys could give to put me over the edge to actually QUIT! I'm not more so hung up on the "nicotine" addiction, more so the other things. It sounds silly but I feel like most of our best conversations and heartfelt talks, were around cigarettes. And I also feel like most of my "alone" time has been when I've "gone" out for a cigarette. The whole notion of quiting doesn't bother me, but the things that are apart of it too since I've been around it for so many years. Sorry if I'm not making much sense! Any advice/help would be appreciated!

Replies

• ConkreteChic
    ConkreteChic Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    Hey! I am thinking of quitting also and what you said in your post is really familiar. I have "quit" a couple times, but what I miss the most is conversations with people over a cigarette - whenever I've met my girlfriends for coffee and they're just about to tell me something or we're going to dissect some conversation, that's when it hits me really hard.

Also, my alone time and the "breaks" I feel I need. When I go outside I bring a book and it gives me a great 7 minute break to just read a bit. The smoking gives it purpose - like, why would I go outside and read for 7 minutes and then come back in?

Those are the things that scare me about quitting. Do you have a quit date yet? I would love to start with someone and be able to check in...:)
  • cdemoura14
    Options
    I really was thinking about the first of the year, but i've been thinking about sooner too. I'm so glad that you said that about the *7 minutes*. Thats so true! I'm going to add you! Hopefully we can set something up together to do this because I know in the long run my life is significantly more important than the *7 minutes*!
  • ConkreteChic
    Options
    So, so true!! Infinitely more important. Plus, it's truly amazing how much more time you have in your day when you're not worried about finding time to smoke (I did quit for about 8 months a year ago)

I got your add, so I will message you about timelines! :smile:
  • Shishkeberry
    Shishkeberry Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    I play a bingo game on Facebook when I want a few minutes to myself or I have a craving. It's just long enough and I have to pay attention just enough that I quickly forget about the cigarette.
  • patiencez2
    patiencez2 Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    Yes the wanting the smoke only last a few minutes. and I have heard of worst things then going out to read fo r7 minutes.
    Before you quit start changing your smoking time. If you smoke after a meal. Don't smoke then. If you smoke when your on the phone. don't smoke then. don't smoke in the car. Smoke outside and not in the house. change it up and confuse your self about when you want a smoke. it helps more then you know. Drink lots of water. Brush your teeth a lot. the addiction is over in about a week then the habit kicks in. so keep busy, you can do this ladies, I quit after 40 years of smoking. you cando this!!!
  • ConkreteChic
    Options
    I play a bingo game on Facebook when I want a few minutes to myself or I have a craving. It's just long enough and I have to pay attention just enough that I quickly forget about the cigarette.

That's a great idea! I love Pathwords,so I will try that :) Wonder why I never thought about that...funny the things you will blind yourself to
  • ConkreteChic
    Options
    Thank you for the ideas. It's so great to have support on this! My quit date is Friday, so I will let you know how it goes on my first day! :wink:
  • CnocNaCu
    CnocNaCu Posts: 536 Member
    Options
    I've changed my smoking habits the days before I quit, just as others recommend. My husband does not smoke and so I always went outside for a cig. That was the time I was on my own, alone, having peace and so on. I went to have the last few cigs in an old shed nearby :-), a few puffs and back home again.
    The first few days after the very last cigarette of my life:happy: I did not like to be outside or in the shed and prefered to stay inside where I never smoked a single cig. After a few days it didn't matter where I was. It was really easy for me. And I didn't gain weight. I keep logging my food and exercising and I'm down 9 pounds in the 4 weeks I'm off the nicotine (cold turkey).
    If I could do it after almost 37 years, you can do it ,too.
    Good luck, stay strong and be welcome here. We 're all going through the same...with each other's help we can do it.
    :flowerforyou:
  • ConkreteChic
    Options
    I've changed my smoking habits the days before I quit, just as others recommend. My husband does not smoke and so I always went outside for a cig. That was the time I was on my own, alone, having peace and so on. I went to have the last few cigs in an old shed nearby :-), a few puffs and back home again.
    The first few days after the very last cigarette of my life:happy: I did not like to be outside or in the shed and prefered to stay inside where I never smoked a single cig. After a few days it didn't matter where I was. It was really easy for me. And I didn't gain weight. I keep logging my food and exercising and I'm down 9 pounds in the 4 weeks I'm off the nicotine (cold turkey).
    If I could do it after almost 37 years, you can do it ,too.
    Good luck, stay strong and be welcome here. We 're all going through the same...with each other's help we can do it.
    :flowerforyou:

Thank you so much! I know I have a lot of "good" to look forward to so Im excited about that. And It's really helpful for me to hear about people who have quit who never thought they could.

Great job on YOUR quit, too!
  • lgwmab
    lgwmab Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    Today is 1 week for me, well not 100%. My fiancee smokes, adn he smokes menthol, so I have had some hits off of his, if you only knew all the crap going on in my life. The part I miss the most was my alone time. I actually will go for a 5 minute walk to replace that smoke. I've been adding more vegetables to my diet. When the cravings get horriable while I am at work I eat some smarties, 25 calories for a roll, and you can suck on them like a hard candy. Helps the oral fixation. Good Luck, we can all support each other.
  • patiencez2
    Options
    I am so Proud of all of you *smile* the ones who have quit and the ones who have set quit dates.

You all can dio this I was a 2 pack a day 40 year smoker.

7 months behind me and am not looking back!
  • ConkreteChic
    Options
    I am so Proud of all of you *smile* the ones who have quit and the ones who have set quit dates.

You are amazing! and definitely an inspiration. What helps me most is knowing I can come here and read about the successes and be supported and inspired. It reminds me of why I'm doing this. Thank you!!
  • ConkreteChic
    Options
    Today is 1 week for me, well not 100%. My fiancee smokes, adn he smokes menthol, so I have had some hits off of his, if you only knew all the crap going on in my life. The part I miss the most was my alone time. I actually will go for a 5 minute walk to replace that smoke. I've been adding more vegetables to my diet. When the cravings get horriable while I am at work I eat some smarties, 25 calories for a roll, and you can suck on them like a hard candy. Helps the oral fixation. Good Luck, we can all support each other.

I agree, "losing" the alone time is the hardest! Good for you for going for it even though your life is stressful right now. I like the Smarties idea...good substitution calorie wise! I am a *sucker* (haha) for caramel apple pops. They are 60 cals, but last a long time, and it gives me something to do with my hands.

Let's continue to support each other! You CAN, you WILL do this!!
  • patiencez2
    Options

You are amazing! and definitely an inspiration. What helps me most is knowing I can come here and read about the successes and be supported and inspired. It reminds me of why I'm doing this. Thank you!!

I come here not because I need support. I have beat the nicotine demon. But I know how much support means when you decide to quit! I know you could cry you could kill you feel like your going to die. But the truth of the matter is if you dont quit it is going to kill you! That matters to me. I care about all of you and will do all I can to help you. you can do it you just have to make up your mind. That Nothing is going to have that much control over you. I know you are going to beat this Yeah yeah yeah!!!!