Currently Dog-less

Options
Hey there!

I lost my German Shepherd girl a little over a year ago, and due to some crazy lifestyle changes, haven't considered finding a new pup. I've moved twice, and am moving again in the upcoming months. Hopefully at that point my partner and I will be settled enough to start looking. I'm having puppy fever like nothing else!

I've been training dogs professionally (obedience, behavioral work, some agility & nosework) for 4 years, unprofessionally for about twice as long. My GSD was from Czech working lines and a total nut!

I love talking dogs and training and would love to meet other like-minded folks.

-Dogsetmoi

Replies

• kerstinmcl
    Options
    Hi!

Did you create this group?
    I am a dog agility nut, I have 2 border collies, 1 of which I compete with. They are both crackers but I love them to bits.

Sorry to hear about your GS. Lots of little dogs out there needing homes!

Kerstin
  • dogsetmoi
    Options
    Hey! No, someone else did, although I don't think she's keeping up with it. Border Collies! You are a better woman than I--I don't think I could handle living with two BCs ;)

Which venue do you compete in? I've never competed in agility, but love training for it. I think the handling skills/directional cues alone are invaluable to anyone who wants better communication with a high drive dog.
  • kerstinmcl
    Options
    Hi you! One of the BCs is 10 years, and beginning to calm down, he is good company, but the agility dog is almost 3 and a handful.
    I started agility with her to help calm her and get her thinking, she was a rescue and whilst very friendly, also off her head. We compete in Scotland where we live, I am guessing you wont know the venues!!
    I agree, agility is a great sport for a high drive dog, and she thinks its the best fun, as long as you can keep it at that level its great for the dogs and the handlers.
    Do you train other peoples dogs for agility then? I quite fancy that, but I only got my first dog 3 years ago so I dont have the obedience /animal behaviour experiance you have which is also essential in agility. Taking on 2 rescues has made me learn quick though!
    Good luck with your training
  • frosty73
    frosty73 Posts: 424 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry to hear about your GSD. Hopefully your life will setlle down soon, and you can get another one.
    I have two Giant Schnauzers: Atlas, age 6, has his Rally-excellent title, and companion dog title.
    Phoebe, age 5, is only a Rally Novice but i've done some tracking with her and we are training in agility now.
    Oh, and both dogs have learned how to pull a cart, and both dogs have done some canine freestyle dance.

Atlas was my first obedience dog so it's been a learning curve, but I love figuring out how to teach them stuff.
    ~Jessica in Illinois
  • mardihar
    mardihar Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    HI! I empathize with your loss. I have 3 Keeshond rescues (had 4 until my 16 year old passed about 4 months ago). I have two of my dogs in agility -- but we're just Novices, just starting to trial. I've hooked up with 2 other MFP friends who do agility, and we were looking to establish a group -- but since you have one set up, I'm thinking, can we join yours?
  • QuikDogs
    QuikDogs Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    Mardihar's friend is here too.

I am sorry to hear about your loss. It is always tough to lose an dear friend. I have two older Labs now, though the rather naughty girl is bound to live to at least 20 just to spite me!

My current competing dog is a Border Collie. I do agility, agility, and....agility! I am OBSESSED.
  • mielikkibz
    mielikkibz Posts: 552 Member
    Options
    I've got Borzoi, and two currently screwed up knees, which is depressing,as my youngest is a great agility prospect! We do racing, coursing, rally, dog shows, and was excited to start training for agility til I blew my good knee out :P
  • hemigirl1
    hemigirl1 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Sorry to hear about your GSD :( We currently have a senior rottie and 4 Cane Corso. We currently do conformation and before our daughters arrived were working towards Obedience and rally-o and now that the girls are getting a little older we hope to be getting back into it.

Love talking dogs and hearing about different events that people are competing in.

Cheers,
    Mary