blood glucose and losing weight while building muscle

irridia
irridia Posts: 527 Member
from what I can tell, I need to do something every day. I currently lift 3x's per week on stronglifts prog, so I increase weight everytime I complete a lift successfully. On the mornings after lifting, my fasting BG is okay, but the morning after I do cardio only it is not so great mid 120 to mid 130 range usually. Cardio is between 20 min and 40 min med intensity. I also still have a lot of belly fat to burn and my understanding is that HIIT and strength training are my friends. I strength train in the evenings. I was doing HIIT on opposing days but my hips were complaining and recovery didn't seem to be happening. What do you think, do I need to start up the HIIT again, do do shorter cardio stints on my days off, cardio daily or only on non strength days. I'm kind of at a loss.

Replies

• cirellim
    cirellim Posts: 269
    For starters the lifting is wonderful especially for someone trying to reduce belly fat, since it's known that one cannot "spot reduce" fat in any specific area of the body, weightlifting overall will help tighten your whole body in general. HIIT is also great as it is incredible for core condition which also will aid even further in tightening of your stomach. Essentially belly fat is nothing more than extra layers of skin we all have abs just with skin covering them (some more than others) so basically whether you can see the abs being activated or not any core work is strengthening your abs, which makes them larger which in turn helps tighten the stomach. To be completely honest cardio (in most cases) is just a tool to reassure someone that they will remain in a caloric deficit for that day. That being said HIIT has been proven to give slightly better overall benefits than slow paced walking for instance. I'd recommend setting up cardio like this; on strength days do low intensity following your workouts. On cardio days do HIIT and if your hips really begin to give you problems lower the intensity slightly but increase the time to compensate. On off days (if you're feeling up to it only) do one of two things; low intensity interval training, or just regular low intensity cardio without the intervals.
  • irridia
    irridia Posts: 527 Member
    thanks! That's kinda what my loose plan has been but I never know if I'm right! lol. Now if I can just get the sickness stuff to leave me alone, got a stomach bug for new yrs, was better on Saturday and planning on hitting it like that starting today and then woke up sunday w/a freakin head cold. Did my uber light cardio at lunch today 10:00am then 5x5 @3:15 and nothing other than wrangling my 6 yr old. prolly stick w/mild cardio if I still feel crappy. neti rinse after my work out and hopefully that will help.
    oy!