Recipes

Options
OSUalum
OSUalum Posts: 449 Member
So many of you have posted great magazines and books to read. Thank you!
I also thought it would be nice to let each other know our favorite recipes that we have actually tried.

I recently found this fun site....http://www.poorgirleatswell.com/

The Garlic and Quinoa Patties are great!

Ingredients:
2 c cooked quinoa
4 large eggs, lightly beaten
1/3 c chopped scallions
1/3 c chopped red onion
4 large cloves of garlic, minced
1 t ground cumin
1 t sea salt
1 c panko crumbs
1/2 c shredded monterey jack cheese (or cheese of your choice)
2 T olive oil (for pan-fried method)

Directions:
1. In a large bowl, combine the quinoa and eggs. Add the scallions, red onion, garlic and spices and stir until well combined. Next, add the panko crumbs, followed by the cheese, and mix well.2. Take a small ball of the mixture and gently form it into a 1″ ball, then flatten into a patty. Repeat with the rest of the mixture until you have about a dozen patties. If the mixture is too moist, add a bit more bread crumbs or a small amount of flour. If it’s too dry, add a little water, one teaspoonful at a time.3. Heat a large skillet over medium low heat and add the olive oil. When oil is hot, carefully place patties into the skillet and cook for about 7-8 minutes on each side, or until a deep golden brown. Remove from skillet and cool on a wire rack over a plate lined with paper towels to allow the remaining oil to drain. Repeat with the rest of the patties.4. Serve warm or cool with your favorite dipping sauce or by themselves. Enjoy!* If using the baking method, bake the patties for about 20 minutes at 400°. Flip them over and bake for another 5 minutes, until golden brown. Cool on a wire rack, then serve.

Replies

• mommamuscles
    mommamuscles Posts: 584 Member
    Options
    One of my favorite super easy side dishes is roasted broccoli. I use a big bag of fresh broccoli, about 2 tbsp. olive oil, crushed red pepper flakes, lots of garlic and sea salt and pepper. Toss together and bake at 400 for 20 mins. Awesome. It really changes the taste of the broccoli. I think I could eat the whole pan singlehandedly.
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    Hmmm, I've never tried roasting broccoli - maybe I'll do some tonight to have with salmon.

Here's a dessert I tried recently - it was so delicious, you would never know it had no sugar!

Chilled mango and coconut puddings

Ingredients

3 mangoes, peeled and sliced

A few drops of orange water

½ cup water

1 can coconut milk

pinch sea salt

½ cup rice flour

½ cup flaked coconut and 2 mango cheeks to garnish

Method

Blend the mangoes with the orange water. Set aside.

Bring the water to the boil then whisk in the rice flour. Keep whisking until it thickens. Remove from the heat then stir the mangoes through the coconut mixture. Pour into individual, small glasses and allow to set in the fridge, about an hour. Garnish with some mango slices and flaked coconut.
  • OSUalum
    Options
    Pumpkin Oatmeal Cookies

1 cup all purpose flour
    2 cups quick oats
    1 tsp baking powder
    1/2 tsp baking soda
    1/2 tsp salt
    1tbsp ground cinnamon
    2 tsp pumpkin pie spice
    2 tbsp country crock butter
    1/2 cup sugar
    1/2 cup light brown sugar
    1 large egg
    8 tbsp canned pumpkin (not pumpkin pie filling)
    2 tsp vanilla extract

Preheat oven to 350°; line two baking sheets with parchment paper or use a silpat.
    In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, oats, baking powder, baking soda, salt, pumpkin spice and cinnamon. In a large bowl, with a mixer, cream together the butter and the sugars on medium speed.

Add the egg, followed by the pumpkin and vanilla extract.

Working by hand, stir in the flour mixture and the oats until just combined and no streaks of flour remain.

Drop 1 tablespoon of the dough at a time onto prepared baking sheets. Bake for about 10-12 minutes, or until cookies become light brown at the edges.

Cool on baking sheet for 3 or 4 minutes, then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.

Makes 32 cookies, 1 tbsp each.

Calories Carbs Fat Protein Sodium
    62 13 1 1 69
  • OSUalum
    Options
    Christmas Pumpkin Spice Bread

Prep Time: 5 minutes
    Cook Time: 30-35 minutes
    Makes 1 Mini-Loaf

Ingredients

1/4 c. Coconut Secret Raw Coconut Flour
    1/4 c. Bob’s Red Mill Organic Golden Flaxseed Meal
    2 Pinches Celtic Sea Salt
    1 tsp. Rumford Aluminum-Free Baking Powder
    1 tsp. Ginger
    1 tsp. Cinnamon
    1/8 tsp. Nutmeg
    1/8 tsp. Ground Cloves
    56 drops NuNaturals Pure Liquid Vanilla Stevia
    2 Large Organic Cage-Free Eggs
    1 Tbsp. Organic Butter, Melted
    1/2 c. Fig Food Co. Organic Pumpkin or Organic Unsweetened Applesauce*
    1 tsp. Organic Unsulphured Blackstrap Molasses

Optional Add Ins
    2 Tbsp. Chopped Walnuts
    1 Date, Chopped*

Directions

In a small mixing bowl, mix together dry ingredients.
    In a medium mixing bowl, with electric beaters on medium speed, mix together wet ingredients.
    Add dry ingredients to wet ingredients and mix until well incorporated.
    Spoon batter into greased mini-loaf pan.
    Bake at 350 for 30-35 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean.
  • Betsybeee
    Betsybeee Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    Roasted brocoli- I make the same recipe but with cauliflower. It's very tasty!
  • babynew
    babynew Posts: 613 Member
    Options
    I MADE up a yummy 1 TONIGHT & was so EXCITED 4A NEW TASTE..& ONLY118C. & 7 F.
    ITwas just my FENNEL,ZUKE,& ONION SAUTE (Or salad w.
    modi's )
    I just sauteed in a lil grapeseed oil,& coldpressed Greek evoo,pink himalayan sea salt,& white peppercorns ground.Garnished sesame speed& frons.
    YUMMMMY
    Actually,less fat because my recipe enter would not let me edit....also it made 4 svs.
    HAPPY ME TONITE....
  • lisabstrong
    lisabstrong Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    Dutch Muesli from Eat Clean Diet Family and Kids

Ingredients

1/2 cup barley flakes (any multi-grain flake or oats works)
    2 cups large flake rolled oats, not quick or instant
    1/4 cup ground flax seed
    1/4 cup wheat germ
    1/4 cup oat bran
    3 cups boiling water
    1/4 cup raw unsalted almonds, coarsely chopped
    1/4 cup large raisins
    1/2 cup chopped, pitted dates
    Juice of one fresh orange (zest rind and reserve)
    1/4 cup agave nectar or honey
    1 cup plain, nonfat yogurt (I use greek yogurt with a bit of skim milk to thin it out...)
    1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
    1 large crisp apple

Directions

1. Place barley, oatmeal, flax seed, wheat germ, and oat bran in a medium- sized glass bowl. Mix well to combine.
    2. Pour boiling water over all and set aside.
    3. Meanwhile, in another glass bowl, measure remaining ingredients. Mix well to combine.
    4. Add wet grains to fruit mixture and mix well. Serve immediately or refrigerate overnight. Muesli keeps well for about 4 days (if it lasts that long!).
    5.Eat with 4-5 egg whites or stir in 1 scoop vanilla protein powder for a complete meal!
  • lisabstrong
    lisabstrong Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    Swiss Muesli from Eat Clean Diet Cookbook By Tosca Reno

1/2 c. hot water
    1/2 c. rolled oats
    1 c. plain, nonfat yogurt
    1/4 c. raisins
    1/4 c. dried cherries or cranberries or both, chopped
    2 Tbsp. Oat Bran
    2 Tbsp. ground flax seed
    2 Tbsp. wheat germ
    2 Tbsp. organic honey
    1 apple (including skin), cored and chopped
    3 Bananas, peeled and sliced

Pour the hot water over the oats to let soak up, add the remaining ingredients and mix well. I skip the bananas. But don't skip the apple.

I also change up the dired fruits and add some different nuts to change up the flavors.
  • monih10
    monih10 Posts: 578 Member
    Options
    Going to try the roasted broccoli and cauliflower tonight....sounds sooooo yummy!! =]
  • mommamuscles
    mommamuscles Posts: 584 Member
    Options
    Tonight I'm making skinny sheperds pie from the clean eating comfort foods mag, with a few adjustments. My family loves this recipe!

4 yukon gold potatoes
    1 bag frozen cauliflower

Cook potatoes in boiling water for 10-15 min, add cauliflower and cook an additional 5-10 min. Mash together with 2 T. organic butter and salt, garlic powder and pepper and 1/2 c. skim milk

In skillet cook 1 package lean ground turkey. Add in 1 onion, chopped, 3 cloves of garlic, 1 cup chopped carrots. Then whisk in 2 T. cornstarch and 1 cup beef broth, 1 T. worstechire sauce. Add in 2 T. tomato paste.

In 9 x 13 pan, pour turkey mixture and spread potato mixture on top. Bake at 350 for 30-45 minutes until potatoes get crusty. Serves 9 people at 210 calories per serving
  • here_I_go_again
    here_I_go_again Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    bump