Low carb diet?

Options
I just am looking to get help with this my doctor has me on the south beach diet and wondering if anyone else is on this diet as well. I was doing it before and was great at it but now its getting hard to get in the swing of doing it again. Was suppose to start yesterday but that didnt happen so planning to start today and i got my celery and peanut butter with my cream of chicken soup for lunch and even brought a measuring cup so i can keep track of how many 1 cups of water i drink. Why is this so much of a struggle when ive done this before and lost a little weight???? making me sad :(

Replies

• Hungry_Tuna
    Hungry_Tuna Posts: 361 Member
    Options
    Hey there!

Just a friendly suggestion: Start slow with baby steps. It'll be easier to stick with when you start replacing certain foods a little at a time, rather than doing it all at once. :)

I'm not on South Beach diet, or any carb diet in particular, but I try to be mindful when consuming the carbs that I do eat. I opt for complex carbs like quinoa, brown rice(s) like short grain, basmati, etc, and avoid pastas when I can - even the whole grain stuff. Low carb tortillas are my favorite right now! Ok moving on..

One of my favorite breakfasts: Veggie Breakfast Burritos!
    High fiber/low-carb tortillas
    scrambled eggwhites (2 or 3)
    Veggies like (bell pepper, onion, mushrooms, spinach)
    A slice of cheese
    ...top with salsa!

*Omelettes are also fantastic low-carb breakfasts!
    My preferred milk is Unsweetened Almond Milk - 40 calories per 1 cup, very low in carbs versus cow's milk.

Fun Lunch option:
    Canned tuna - prep with greek yogurt instead of mayo.. (All this is already HIGH in protein) Of course, you can do mayo too, up to you!
    diced celery (I use 2 stalks)
    lemon juice (fresh squeezed to taste)
    small pickle or pickled jalapeno (diced)
    pepper, and a wee pinch of salt.
    MIX and add to a low-carb wrap filled with romaine lettuce, tomato, and enjoy!

*Low carb snacks - Check this link out for a plethora of options!
    http://lowcarbdiets.about.com/od/whattoeat/a/snacks.htm

I could go on... as for dinner, I do a ton of stir-fry dishes with tofu or shrimp. Just chop a bunch of veggies, sautee or steam in a pan with a bit of water or olive oil.
    I never add sauce to stir-fry... I add it after when I'm ready to eat it. I do eat stir-fry dishes with brown rice, but I measure out a small portion, otherwise I'm left hungry in an hour!

GOOD LUCK AND REMEMBER: BABY STEPS!! Hope this helps!! :)

--Nikki
  • suelegal
    suelegal Posts: 1,282 Member
    Options
    I just am looking to get help with this my doctor has me on the south beach diet and wondering if anyone else is on this diet as well. I was doing it before and was great at it but now its getting hard to get in the swing of doing it again. Was suppose to start yesterday but that didnt happen so planning to start today and i got my celery and peanut butter with my cream of chicken soup for lunch and even brought a measuring cup so i can keep track of how many 1 cups of water i drink. Why is this so much of a struggle when ive done this before and lost a little weight???? making me sad :(

There's a book called "The 7-Day Low-Carb Rescue and Recovery Plan" that really has helped me get back to this WOE. As suggested by HT above, starting slow is exactly what is suggested in this book, and they have an easy (really!) 7 day plan to get you back into a balanced Low-Carb eating plan again. I highly recommend it! It's written byt Rachael and Richard Heller.