Cutting weight prior to competition

Options
irridia
irridia Posts: 528 Member
Hi everyone,

For all of you who fight in situations where weight counts and weght classes are enforced, do you cut weight, if so how much and how many days before the fight do you start.

Trying to help my boy, he has alternately not made weight and injured himself while last minute cutting. Oh and any dietary/hydration tips would also be greatly appriciated, along with results... did you win with this strategy, how did you feel during your fight, did you ever do it differently and if so what were the differences in the results. Thanks lots!

Replies

• diaryoffatdad
    diaryoffatdad Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    i did lots of weight cutting for wrstling, i regularly cut 20 lbs for tournaments and would usually do this in a week or so. the most i cut was 26 lbs. i could offer you a lot of tips but first i need to know some things, how old is he, what is he competing in, what is his weight class that he wants to get to and how much does he weigh normally, also when are weigh ins, in wrestling i had weigh ins the night before competition, in some sports they do weigh ins the morning of the competition. all of these things will dictate my advice.
  • vegetariangirltil127
    Options
    Generally you don't want to leave it to cutting weight, and try to lose the weight ahead of time. It also depends on how much weight your son is trying to lose. Ideally, you should only have him cut a pound or two towards the very end. As far as hydration, one way to stay hydrated with very little calories and water (if you're losing water weight as well)- cut up some watermelon and soak it in a gatorade/ propel mixture. Make the mixture in 16 oz of water and pour in a propel packet and a G2 packet (packet of powdered drink mix). It helps to rehydrate with the electrolytes but doesn't put too much water back into you.
  • bluetzu
    bluetzu Posts: 14
    Options
    my advice is anyone not in professional competion eg getting paid for pain and a good healthplan should never cut weight
    granted cutting weight can give you a single match edge in the long term its better to compete at your normal weight
    youth weight cutting practices should be discouraged as they can lead to long term health effects
    in my youth I chose to compete upwards gaining an extra pound or two for a match
    this in the long term will make for a better contender you may lose more matches at first
    but a few lbs as most weight brackets go will come down to skill
    and being healthy and feeling good not dehydrated or starved will give you a distinct advantage