Calories and Swimming

Options
HI...I swim 30 minutes 3 times a week and alternate 25 meters free, 25 meters breast...Any idea how many calories I am burning? Thanks!

Replies

• magdaleneg
    magdaleneg Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Hello there,
    the question depends on the intensity level you're putting into the swim and on your swimming background. That is, do you have a strong swimming background and are therefore able to swim efficiently or are you a beginner and often feel like you're fighting through it? If it's the ladder than you're in luck; you're burning more calories! All of that aside, I would say that about 200-250 calories is a fair guess for you.
  • spottedlee
    Options
    Hard to tell,, I use the MFP database for info. I know everyone says it's wrong but it matches databases from other sites,,, wrong or not, I don't care and I am losing weight just by being a fish, I don't do dry land exercise much.

I usually do backstroke and water jogging, I do two sets of 20 minutes for both for total of 80 minutes (40 and 40.) For that, I burn about 1200. of course, I weigh 250ish so it makes a difference. The heavier you are, the more you burn per time frame.

If I am losing weigh by using MFP's database, I would say it's ok to use the database in MFP to determine your calories burns.

FYI, I swim/jog 3 or 4 times a week,, using same two set of 20 minutes for each displiane (sp?) every time for total of 80 minutes.
  • Misiaxcore
    Misiaxcore Posts: 659 Member
    Options
    You're on my friends list. You can check out my burns (I use my HRM and it says when I do). But keep in my mind I have an efficient stroke and have been swimming my whole life.