What's been the hardest food to kick since going primal?

Options

Replies

• immacookie
    immacookie Posts: 7,424 Member
    Options
    I sometimes miss pizza.... real, chewy, doughy, greasy NY style pizza. :ohwell:

And yes I've seen the meatzas and the cauliflower crusts and all that.... but sometimes it's just not the same. :wink:
  • Julesjhj
    Julesjhj Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    I'm not a huge chip person but I do crave salty stuff sometimes. Have you ever tried SeaSnax? It's sheets of lightly roasted and seasoned seaweed. The package even says "Stangely Addictive" and it is! It is also gluten and carb free.
  • JennieAL
    JennieAL Posts: 1,726 Member
    Options
    I'm not a huge chip person but I do crave salty stuff sometimes. Have you ever tried SeaSnax? It's sheets of lightly roasted and seasoned seaweed. The package even says "Stangely Addictive" and it is! It is also gluten and carb free.

I love seaweed. I might try this one. Thanks! I do order the kelp noodles from Sea Tangle to use as pasta sometimes. Not bad.
  • monkeydharma
    monkeydharma Posts: 599 Member
    Options
    OMG! I love the nori (seaweed) snacks - especially the wasabi flavored ones. No calories to speak of, all crunch and flavor!
  • inlander
    inlander Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    Probably cheese. I still use butter periodically but cheese was such a convenient snack before Paleo.
  • Sp1nGoddess
    Sp1nGoddess Posts: 1,138 Member
    Options
    Pasta is my kryptonite! I try to sub spaghetti squash but sometimes there is nothing better than a bowl of angel hair with garlic & butter!

(I still eat dairy.... working on that one....)
  • mjbrenner
    mjbrenner Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    White rice is my kryptonite. I can make a meal with white rice for my friends and shredded cauliflower for me and love the meal just as much as I used to. When I clean the table after everyone has left, however, I almost can't control going for the leftover rice in the serving bowl. It's a strong enough urge that I now ask my wife to throw away the rice before I clean up after dinner. I can't trust myself with it. That said, this is the first time I can think about the rice and not get a craving. Maybe I'm finally past the last of my carb cravings.

As a plaeo-friendly snack food, I like Beanitos chips and soy crisps. I try to avoid both, but they are plenty satisfying when I just need that crispy chip feel. I also find them to be a big help for staying on diet on long car trips or flights.
  • heathernz
    heathernz Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Oh my goodness me!! I can have pork rinds??? Awesome! I'm at day seven and really enjoying this way of eating. Later tonight we have a celebration for my son who just passed his school exams with great results.. I made guacamole, bought corn chips for my kids, and after reading this thread got some pork rinds for me.

I miss the salty snacks but am not having much of an issue with cravings - 2.3 kgs down (about 5lbs)

Loving it!
  • Frankenbarbie01
    Frankenbarbie01 Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    6 yr old aged cheddar and pizza dough/crust cheezie bread things.......sigh.

BUT I know Im better for NOT having either of those items the cheese is just dairy (no good for me) The pizza crust is just wheat (again no good for me)
  • Anathama
    Anathama Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    Beer. not shiatty mass produced swill like bud, miller, coors. But great craft brewed stouts and IPA's, Bourbon Barrel aged beers, and glorious Irish red ales...
  • shar140
    shar140 Posts: 1,158 Member
    Options
    Beer. not shiatty mass produced swill like bud, miller, coors. But great craft brewed stouts and IPA's, Bourbon Barrel aged beers, and glorious Irish red ales...

Agreed! :drinker:
  • KBGirts
    KBGirts Posts: 882 Member
    Options
    Here's my version of it...

Get the largest portabella mushrooms you can. Scrape the gills out of the portabella, then fill with your favorite pizza toppings (in this case tomato sauce, fresh mozz, pepperoni and some fresh basil). Put on a cookie tray and pop in the oven for about 15 minutes at 350 (or until the portabella starts to sag). You pretty much have to eat it with a fork - but it tastes like you swiped the good parts off of everybody else's slice!

IMG_0276.jpg

HOLY CRAP!!!!! I freakin' LOVE you!!!!

No seriously..... I freakin' LOVE you!!!!
    :love:
  • granolagrl85
    Options
    I really miss rice and naan.
  • KMAMinx13
    KMAMinx13 Posts: 101 Member
    Options

Thanx for the tip - I'm going to check these out.

I do enjoy a good chip and have substituted pork rinds. I also really like candy (sugar). Potatoes and sugar - those are my hardest to kick.
  • mehaugen
    mehaugen Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    A steaming bowl of Bob's steel cut oats. I am going to have one when my 30 days strict paleo is over with to see how my body reacts.

When I suffer from a binge I want sugar. I have managed to keep it only to lindt 90% and half a jar of plain almond butter. Small progress!
  • chammich
    chammich Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    I'm paleo - dairy free out of nessesity.. I reallllllllllllllllly miss cheese..:sad:

I stopped the cheese also and I miss it too.
  • monkeydharma
    Options
    I'm paleo - dairy free out of nessesity.. I reallllllllllllllllly miss cheese..:sad:

I stopped the cheese also and I miss it too.
    While man need agriculture to support cow herds, I think that pre-agricultural man kept a few goats with the tribe as they wandered. I allow myself moderate amounts of goat and sheep milk products (cheese and butter) - not only do I think they are paleo, the literature I've seen says that they are more compatible with our systems.
  • BrakemanSlova
    BrakemanSlova Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Bread! But I don't want to eat gluten so, if I'm dying for something bad, I have potato chips and its rare.
  • theflyingartist
    theflyingartist Posts: 385 Member
    Options
    I'm surprised no one has mentioned peanut butter!
    I indulge every now and again, mostly because it's just too dang good to give up! And no, almond butter does not taste like peanut butter. And no, sunflower butter does not taste like peanut butter.

:(
  • monkeydharma
    Options
    I'm surprised no one has mentioned peanut butter!
    I indulge every now and again, mostly because it's just too dang good to give up! And no, almond butter does not taste like peanut butter. And no, sunflower butter does not taste like peanut butter.

:(

Right, but peanuts - being a legume - are off the board.