RECIPES

Options
playful82
playful82 Posts: 78 Member
So every week, I cook about 3 times a week, I try to make eating fun, without going out to buy food, so i bought a bunch of cookbooks, weight watcher . and i been cooking different stuff every week. In the process i am learning to cook.. lol and saving money also.. which isnt bad either . So i am going to post the recipes i tried out and you guys can try them also.

Replies

• playful82
    Options
    SOUTHWESTERN SKILLET MACARONI AND CHEESE
    IMG-20111206-00170.jpg

6 servings

1 cup elbow macaroni
    1 pound ground turkey
    1/2 cup chopped onion
    1/2 cup chopped green pepper
    2 tbs chili powder
    1 tsp ground cumin
    1/2 tbs salt
    1 (14 oz)can diced tomatoes with their juice
    1 (80z) can tomato sauce
    1 (4 1/2 oz) can chopped mild green chiles
    1/2 cup water
    1 cup shredded reduced fat cheddar cheese

1. cook the macaroni according to package directions omitting the salt if desired; drain.

2 Meanwhile spray a large nonstick skillet with nonstick spray and set over medium high heat. Add the turkey and cook, breaking it up with a wooden spoon, until no longer pink, about 8 mins. Stir in the onion, bell pepper, chili powder, cumin, and salt. cook stirring occasionally, until the onion is softened about 3 mins. Add tomatoes, tomato sauce, chili, and water, bring to boil. Reduce the heat and simmer, stirring occasionally, until the flavors are blended, about 10 mins. Add the macaroni, and the cheese, stirring to combine.

1 cup serving : CAL:297, FAT:13 g, PROT: 22g, FIB: 3 g CARB: 22g
  • playful82
    Options
    Sausage and Penne with Vodka Tomatoe Sauce

IMG_2989.jpg

Vodka sauce is traditionally made with heavy cream, which is very high in fat. We've lightened the dish by making it with little milk and Romano cheese. If you cant find Mediterranean style chicken sausage you might like to try artichoke and garlic chicken sausage or Italian turkey sausage in this recipe.

Makes 6 servings

6 oz penne pasta
    3 tsp extra-virgin olive oil
    1 (9oz) package fully cooked Mediterranean style sausage , cut into 1/2 inch pieces
    1 onion
    2 garlic cloves minced
    1 can Italian seasoned diced tomatoes
    1 tbsp vodka
    3 tbsp fat-free milk
    3 tbsp grated Romano cheese

1. Cook the pasta according to the package directions omitting the salt , if desired.

2. Meanwhile, heat 1 teaspoon of oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium high heat. Add the sausage and cook, Turing occasionally, until browned, about 4 minutes. Transfer the sausage to plate.

3. Meanwhile, heat the remaining 2 teaspoons oil in the same skillet. Add the onion and garlic, cook stirring frequently , until softened about 3 minutes. Add tomatoes and vodka: bring to a boil. Reduce the heat and simmer, uncovered, about 2 minutes. Add the sausage and milk; simmer until heated through about 2 minutes. Remove the skillet from the heat and stir in the cheese. Serve with the pasta.

per serving (1 cup pasta with scant 1/2 cup sauce) : 235 cal, 8 g fat, 2 g Sat fat, 0g Trans fat, 26 mg Chol, 574 mg sod, 28g Carbs, 2 g Fiber, 12g Protein, 83 mg Calc.
    Point value :5
  • playful82
    Options
    Chicken and Broccoli in Oyster sauce
    IMG_3599.jpg

This was a weight watchers recipe, but i changed it up a bit . It was originally broccoli in oyster sauce, I added chicken and I double up on the sauce.

This is so good. better than a lot of restaurants and its healthy

4 tbs oyster sauce
    1/4 cup water
    3 tbs reduced sodium soy sauce
    4 tbs cornstarch
    2 tbs sugar
    2 tbs dark sesame oil
    4 scallions thinly sliced
    1 tbs ginger minced
    2 garlic clove
    4 cup broccoli florets sliced into 2 inch pieces
    2 tbs garlic powder
    1 tbs black pepper

1. Cut chicken up into pieces,(2 inch) season with garlic powder, 1 tbs soy sauce, and black pepper. let stand still for 5 mins.

2. Heat 1 tbs sesame oil in a wok or nonstick skillet, when sizzling, add chicken and cook until you see no pink.

3. add scallions, ginger, garlic and stir fry, about a minute. then add broccoli, cook for about 3- 4 mins.

4. In the mean while, mix together, oyster sauce, cornstarch, sugar, remainder of the sesame oil and soy sauce, also add 1/4 cup of water. mix until smooth

5. Add sauce to broccoli and chicken and stir fry until sauce thickens about 2- 3 min.

Serve and enjoy.

Cal:227 Carb:28 Fat:5 Prot:21 Sug:9 Fib:4
  • playful82
    Options
    Sweet and sour chicken
    IMG_3254.jpg

I will be making this on Thursday and will add pics when I do.

2 tablespoon reduced sodium soy sauce
    1 tablespoon rice wine
    10 ounce skinless boneless chicken breast
    1/2 cub white mushrooms
    1/4 cup + 2 teaspoon corn starch
    4 teaspoon olive oil
    1 green bell pepper
    1 red bell pepper
    1 carrot thinly sliced
    1 onion 1 inch cubed
    1/2 cup pineapple chunks
    4 scallion cut into 1 inch length
    2 garlic cloves peeled and crushed
    1 (1/2 inch ) piece ginger minced
    2 table spoon sugar
    2 tablespoon red wine vinegar

1. combine 1 tablespoon of soy sauce and wine in a zip lock bag: add the chicken. seal bag . turn to coat the chicken. Refrigerate for about 30 minutes. Drain : discard of any marinade

2. Slice mushrooms. Coat the chicken in 1/4 cup of cornstarch, one piece at a time, shaking off the excess.

3.Heat 1 teaspoon of oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add half the chicken and cook stirring gently, until cooed through, 4-5 minutes. Transfer to a serving platter; keep warm. repeat with 1 teaspoon of the pol and the remaining chicken

4. Heat 1 teaspoon of the oil in skillet. Add bell peppers, carrot, and onion; cook stirring, until very tender 10-12 minutes. Transfer to a plate ; keep warm

5.Heat the remaining 1 teaspoon oil in the skillet, add the mushroom, pineapple, scallion, garlic and ginger, cook stirring until the pineapple is lightly browned 4-5 mins. Stir in the reserving vegetables: set aside
    6. Whisk 1 teaspoon water and the remaining 2 teaspoon cornstarch in a bowl, bring 1/4 cup water the sugar, vinegar and remaining 1 tablespoon soy sauce to a boil in saucepan. Stir in the dissolved cornstarch; cook stirring until the sauce thickens. Pour the sauce over the vegetables and bring to a boil . Pour the vegetable mixture over the chicken and toss.

CAL: 238 CARB: 30g FAT:6g PROT:13g SUG:11g FIB: 3g
  • playful82
    Options
    Turkey sausage and mushroom risotto
    IMG_3253.jpg

so yummy

Mushroom give an earthy taste to this risotto. while we've used regular white mushrooms, feel free to substitute fresh shiitake or baby bell mushrooms for richer flavor.

Makes 6 servings

5-6 cup reduced sodium chicken broth
    3 teaspoon extra virgin olive oil
    2/4 pound turkey sausage( casings removed , sausage crumbled
    1/2 pound fresh white mushrooms
    1 teaspoon dried oregano
    2/4 Madeira wine
    1 shallot chopped
    3 garlic clove minced
    1 1/2 cups arborio rice
    1/3 cup grated parmesan cheese
    1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper

1. Bring the broth to a boil in a medium saucepan. Reduce the heat and keep at a simmer.

2. Heat 1 teaspoon of oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium high heat. Add the sausage and cook, breaking up the sausage with a wooden spoon, until browned and cooked through, about 5 minutes. Add the mushrooms and oregano; cook , stirring frequently until the mushrooms are tender about 4 minutes. Add 1/4 cup of Madeira and cook until it absorbed , about 1 minute. Transfer the mixture to a bowl.

3. Heat the remaining 2 teaspoons oil in the same skillet over medium high heat. Add the shallot and garlic; cook stirring constantly, until fragrant , about 1 minute. Add rice and cook, stirring until it is lightly toasted about 2 minutes. Add the remaining 1/2 cup Madeira and stir until it is almost absorbed about 1 minute. Add broth, 1 cup at a time, stirring until it is absorbed before adding more until the rice is just tender. The cooking tie should be about 20 minutes from the first addition of broth . *kitten* the sausage mixture, cheese and pepper; cook stirring until heated through, about 1 minute , serve at once.

CAL: 400 CARB: 48g FAT:12g PROT:21g SUG:1g FIB: 1g