Some things I've learnt

Options
I've had a binge eating problem for about two years now. It started when I moved cities and when I started dieting. I went to see a therapist about it, and she was the one who helped me identify that this is where it started. I've always loved food and enjoyed eating and preparing it. Binge eating has destroyed my love of food- now it's like I fear it. Someone said on a previous post that they 'wish they could give up food'- this is EXactly how I feel. I think about food ALL the time. It's obsessive but I don't know how to stop, and feel like I've forgotten how to eat normally... I don't feel that I could trust my body any more to tell me when it's hungry and when it's not.

I am probably a lot luckier than many of you, as I am not overweight, and never really have been. I think my metabolism is very fast, and I seem to recover from binges without putting on too much weight (although I do not binge too frequently- at the moment it's only about once every two weeks- but always very very bad, I'm amazed I do not throw up!)

I'm on a mission to be rid of this!!!! I've read a lot about BED, and what one needs to do to have a succesful recovery. You've probably all heard it all before, but here's a few things I have learnt and that I think are very true:

- Dieting is a trigger for BED, and this is often where it starts. When the body is starved of calories it will do its utmost to try and get those calories back.

- Don't try and make up for binges, by fasting the next day, over exercising, throwing up. Try your best to eat normally the next day. Trying to make up for it will usually end up in another binge.

- Stop dieting. Eat regularly (every few hours) and don't let yourself get hungry. Keep a diary of your eating- including times and locations and how you're feeling. Eat 3 regular meals, and 2 snacks. If you have a binge, write about it, how you were feeling at the time, where you were. This can help identify triggers.

- Avoid any 'trigger' foods initially, and then slowly introduce them into your diet. Have a few bites and put it away.

- Do NOT weigh yourself obsessively. Never any more than once a week. Don't weigh yourself after a binge.

- Have proper meals and try to eat with friends or family.

- Keep yourself busy, find hobbies, spend time with people who make you feel good.

- Don't beat yourself up after a binge. What's the point? Just forgive yourself, be gentle with yourself- tomorrow is a new day.

These are the only things I can think of at the moment, but I hope that they can help at least some of you! I am still trying to do these things to get over this, I know it's not easy. ...

Glad to be part of this group. Binge eating can make you feel extremely alone, as who wants to admit they just ate three days worth of food?! Not me... I feel like going into hiding for a week.

Keep posting guys! Post when you feel like bingeing, I think this could help!

Replies

• apesid
    apesid Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    Thanks for these!

I totally relate to the quitting food - BED is the worst addiction - because you CAN'T just stop and stay away!