Be patient don't despair.... I got hit by a car 14 year ago

Options
auntiebabs
auntiebabs Posts: 1,754 Member
I got hit by a car (as a pedestrian) 14 years ago.

I had 3 years of constant back pain... I was able to continue with my "daily activities of living" but oh the fatigue just dragged me down. It was so disheartening. I never had any energy to do anything beyond the basics. The doctors couldn't find anything specific to address. I had previously always hand an amazing range of motion, so when doctors assessed me I fell in the "normal range of motion" category even though it was much less than I had prior to the accident. I had constant low-grade pain, so I could do things, but I'd get completely wiped-out.

The one thing I can say is God Bless Physical Therapists.
I was sent to a PT later, for a different injury, but she took the time to access my overall condition more carefully. Doctors spend 5 minutes with you and move you a long. You spend 45 min or so with the PT. and you're seeing them a couple of times a week. So if you for got to mention something in you initial meeting, you can bring it up at your next visit or your next. The watch how you react to the exercises. I've had 2 different PTs connect the dots, better than the doctors I was seeing.

After that I had a series of other mishaps that kept me down for the count for quite sometime. (what doesn't kill you makes you more vulnerable so the next thing will.) Before I knew it I was up 30+ lbs

I'd kept trying to lose the weight. I felt like I knew how to do this. (I lost a bunch of weight in junior high and kept it off, well up until the accident) I could never quite make my goal. I came close a couple of time, then I'd get hit with another health issue. So I gave up completely.

A friend told me about this site and it's been a great tool. Now that I've been tracking my Macros I see why I was having such a hard time following a common sense diet. FOOD has changed a lot in the past 30 years. So many added sugars (under very many mysterious names) hiding out in things disguised as "REAL FOOD"

So it does take time... getting healthy is a priority over getting skinny.
But you are right it is a catch 22 the extra weight increase your pain and the more pain you're in the less you want to can move.

Baby steps, be patient and be gentle with yourself.

Replies

• tomarboyd
    tomarboyd Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I got bucked off my horse two years ago and have a compression fracture of the spine. It keeps me in constant low to moderate grade pain. In April of this year my horse fell with me and I re-injured the spinal compression making it significantly worse. I started this program in July and so far I have lost 40 pounds. I still have another 60 to go. I do a twelve minute "fat Burner" in the morning. I am 70 years old and physically pretty unfit but this one doesn't have any jumping which my knees and back can't take. I also started walking just 5 minutes a day at first. It isn't fast, but it does work. I started just focusing on the calories the first couple of weeks then started trying to get my fiber content up to at least 25 and then added sodium down to under 2500. I also printed out my daily diary every evening. It helps me when I hit a plateau to be able to go back and see what I was doing when I was loosing better. Hang in there and take it one day at a time. You will be surprised how much easier it is that way.