following the diet...

Options
Ok, so this may seem a little embarrassing. Alright. It is embarrassing. But here goes. I'm adding all the extra protein to my diet and i ham having some unsavory side effects. GAS. ugh. Anyone else having this problem and if so, what are you doing about it.

PS this might be the most ridiculous post i may have ever writte. But hey, its a genuine concern.

Devi

Replies

• idauria
    idauria Posts: 1,037 Member
    Options
    Have you added a lot of extra dairy? I am slightly lactose intolerant and when I eat a lot of dairy I definitely have those side effects. When I was using a protein powder that wasn't 100% whey isolate I had terrible gas, it was painful even. But now I use Jay Robb 100% whey isolate protein powder and it doesn't bother me. I don't think consuming a higher level of protein in and of itself causes gas though.
  • Yanicka1
    Yanicka1 Posts: 4,564 Member
    Options
    My last protein powder used to do that to me. Oh my god it was horrible. Maybe time to experiement to see exaclty what kind of protein is causing the problem
  • Rae6503
    Rae6503 Posts: 6,294 Member
    Options
    Yeah, might be dairy or the powder your using.
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    Options
    Yeah, might be dairy or the powder your using.

If it's not either of those things, it could possibly just be a change in diet. I know any time I seriously alter my diet I get some bloating while things even out. You could also try taking lactaid (if you think it's dairy), or gas-x or beano and see if any of those help.
  • shlobiwan
    shlobiwan Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    If you're using a blender to mix your protein powder and drinking it immediately, it could be all the excess air that the blender creates. I made a shake this morning and it barely fit into a small perrier bottle. Now that it's been in the fridge all day, it's reduced to 2/3 of this morning's size.
  • aregensb
    aregensb Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    I had some bloating issues too when I first started, but I'm about a month in now and those issues have not been bothering me for a while. Be sure to drink plenty of water and to get enough fiber. I drink probably at least 10 cups of water every day - I just keep filling up my big water bottle, which I think is about 2.5-3 cups of water. I also kicked up my fiber intake to about 30-40g per day.

I've actually found that because of the diet, water, and fiber, my digestive system seems to be moving a lot smoother these days. Give your body time to adjust to the new diet and exercise routine and in the meantime, drink plenty of water and watch your fiber intake.