organic fruits and veggies

Options
simplyeater
simplyeater Posts: 270 Member
Just curious...what percentage of the fruits and veggies that you eat are organic? I am trying to go that way more and more, but cost and availability are sometimes an issue. Also I really support buying local, but local isn't always organic, so I get torn between the two.

Replies

• unsuspectingfish
    unsuspectingfish Posts: 1,176 Member
    Options
    Honestly, when it's local vs. organic, I almost always choose local. The exception is when it's a farm or company I know is no good (my dad grows fruit, so I know a lot of the local growers, and therefore which ones to avoid).
  • Shredded2011
    Options
    the problem in the uk is that its not readily available and when it is its so expensive - they play on it.
    Then its a viscious circle.
    i would want organic everything if i cound get it.
  • Guadalupana
    Options
    This is the list of "The Dirty Dozen" Things you should avoid buying conventional and try to buy organic. If you google it you will find it in CNN, PBS and magazines articles. These kind of produce uses more pesticides and/or absorbs more than other.

celery
    peaches
    strawberries
    apples
    domestic blueberries
    nectarines
    sweet bell peppers
    spinach, kale and collard greens
    cherries
    potatoes
    imported grapes
    lettuce
  • cantobean
    cantobean Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    Agree with local over organic, but when I can't get local (I live in MN so during the winter there isn't much local produce to choose from), I go with organic if possible. It's definitely more expensive, but worth the cost.
  • garlic7girl
    garlic7girl Posts: 2,234 Member
    Options
    I try to do the dirty dozen but my budget can't always allow it. Sad but true.
  • Guadalupana
    Options
    I know... I try my best but is not always possible.
  • clemsontgr4evr
    clemsontgr4evr Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Agree with local over organic, but when I can't get local (I live in MN so during the winter there isn't much local produce to choose from), I go with organic if possible. It's definitely more expensive, but worth the cost.

I do the same. I always choose local whenever possible but from about January through May, my local farmer's market is closed and I can't find local produce so I buy organic produce from the grocery store. I hate those months when the farmer's market isn't open.

When the farmer's market is open, I typically don't shop the farmers that are certified organic. I have discovered from talking with the farmers that there are many who are following all organic practices but just haven't spent the money to be certified organic. I buy from them because they are far less expensive than those who are certified and the produce is just as healthy.