Any other CNAs or former CNAs in nursing school (or planning

Options
Um, the question pretty much sums it up! :) I'm a CNA and hope to start nursing school in the fall. Wondering if there are any others in the same shoes?

Replies

• CelesteR903
    CelesteR903 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I'm a CNA working at a nursing home and waiting on my results for the CMA state test. I'm also doing my prerequisites for nursing.
  • flyawaybyebye
    Options
    They didn't get you the results when you took the test? That's awful! Ours were faxed in and given back to us immediately. I would have been so stressed having to wait!
  • CelesteR903
    CelesteR903 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Nope we got our CNA when we took the test but the CMA we're still waiting on. The wait is killing me!!!! I'm really hoping to switch to double weekends once I'm a med aide. We also get a pay raise once we're certified so I'm ready for my results.
  • 87beckyRN
    Options
    I'm a CNA in nursing school! One more semester left. I worked at a nursing home, and just recently got a job at a hospital. Good luck to you!!
  • adhamilton11
    Options
    I am a CNA working in LTC and Rehab Center. Mother of a 9 month old, and Half way through my classes for my LPN!! It's tough at times but it is all worth it
  • Judanjos
    Judanjos Posts: 87
    Options
    I'm a CNA in Nursing School. Worked in home health but currently giving 100% to school and my little one.
  • camcguire63
    camcguire63 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Me! I've been a CNA at a hospital for three year. Been slowly taking my prerequ's during this time and also giving myself the opportunity to decide if this is really the field I want to go into. Starting the official nursing program Fall 2012. I'm amazed that people go into nursing without having ever worked in the medical field. It's not what you think! I had a big adjustment period at the beginning and thought I might walk away from nursing. Actually, I know people that have done just that. Also, I know of people that walk away after one year of nursing school because they've gotten their first taste of healthcare. That's a shame. In my opinion, working as a CNA for at least a year is critical.
  • Candi8099
    Candi8099 Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    Me! I've been a CNA at a hospital for three year. Been slowly taking my prerequ's during this time and also giving myself the opportunity to decide if this is really the field I want to go into. Starting the official nursing program Fall 2012. I'm amazed that people go into nursing without having ever worked in the medical field. It's not what you think! I had a big adjustment period at the beginning and thought I might walk away from nursing. Actually, I know people that have done just that. Also, I know of people that walk away after one year of nursing school because they've gotten their first taste of healthcare. That's a shame. In my opinion, working as a CNA for at least a year is critical.

I've heard this from so many people & couldn't agree more!! I've worked in Registration for almost 2 years at the UW Hospital (working on my pre-reqs in the evenings), but that isn't technically "in the field" in my eyes, so I I will start my CNA course on June 18th & will probably work as a CNA for 1-3 years before I actually finish Nursing as well. I have all of my pre-reqs done, but I also want to make sure so I am also taking this route. You're so right! Great minds think alike ;) lol

Good luck with the Nursing program in the Fall!! :)
  • lmkelly679
    lmkelly679 Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    I start my prereq's this fall... I'm so nervous! But I'm wicked excited!!!
  • leeeeeleeeee
    Options
    I am in my last year of nursing school. Almost out. Was set to graduate this December but I failed psychiatric nursing. Good luck to you all!!
  • Francesca941
    Options
    I couldn't agree more. I have been a CNA 10 years now (Yikes! that long?!) and I am set to graduate with my RN in March '13. The experience I received in those years of CNA work have put me very far ahead of the rest of my cohort in terms of familiarity and comfort with patients and the work we do. If you are thinking of nursing I highly recommend getting a feel for patient care by working as a CNA for at least a year. I can also tell the difference when I am working with Nurses who have not been a CNA before becoming a nurse.
  • daterminedfatburnerX
    Options
    ME!!! ME!! ME!!! im also nervous getting all my paper work and stuff done so i can start applying for nursing school im nervous yet excited!! :D
  • carlajewel2005
    Options
    I'm an LPN that's currently in nursing school also. I graduate in May '13 and I can say it was well worth it. I started out as a medical assistant, then went back and got my LPN license, worked at an infusion clinic for the past 7 yrs, and now I'm about to finish up RN school. Start my last semester Tuesday morning and I can't wait. Good luck to you all!!