weight gain on LCHF?

Options
grendella
grendella Posts: 158 Member
is anyone out there trying this scandinavian craze, "low carb high fat?"

because i have put on 5 lbs doing it....and 2 inches on my waist. i am going to cut out dairy, bacon, nuts and dark (81%) chocolate for the next 2 weeks and see what happens.

i have also started weight training, but 5 lbs? seriously?

does anyone have theories? water retention? TOM?

HELP!

Replies

• dittiepe
    dittiepe Posts: 557 Member
    Options
    This sounds like a bastardized version of Atkins. I would immediately cut out dairy and chocolate and decrease nuts to 1 serving per day. Leave the bacon though.

The dairy and chocolate(and possibly nuts) are counteracting the work you're doing with the other low carb/high fat intake.
  • auctoritas
    Options
    I do keto, which is very low carb high fat (<20g carbs/day, 60-70% fat). Maybe try cutting down farther on your carbs for a while? I eat tons of dairy in the form of butter, harder cheeses and occasionally heavy whipping cream, though I never eat chocolate anymore, and my almond intake is only half a serving every few days or so. I also don't eat fruit anymore either in order to keep my carbs low. I don't really worry about it since I get all the nutrients I need from vegetables. I see you have some higher carb items in your diet too, like bananas, tomato soup, a saffron bun, and some cockies. Try getting your daily carb count below 50 for a while before worrying about a small piece of chocolate or something as awesome as bacon. I would cut out the yogurt and milk, unless you switch to small servings of heavy whipping cream (36% milkfat) which is very low in carbs.

Bacon shouldn't be a problem on a high fat diet, honestly. The weight gain might be somewhat from water weight due to starting workouts, or TOM, which can cause huge weight fluctuations in some people (mine is usually 2-4 pounds, I've heard some women gain as much as 6-8).

Good luck. :D
  • grendella
    grendella Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    thanks guys! ive cleaned up my act a little, not as much as i would like. this week was particularly hard as moving to a new country and not "participating" (eating) at their holidays comes off as a little rude. i've lost 2 lbs this week regardless of those major carb days. going to keep striving for a cleaner diet, thanks again for your help!
  • Dundreggen
    Dundreggen Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I am also doing keto. Which is a form of high fat low carb. I find it easier than atkins, but each to their own.

Watch all of what you eat. Some artificial sweeteners (like Splenda) lie. They are full of carbs. I have to work to get my fat in most days. So before you cut the fat (keeping fat in your diet has been shown to increase leptin in your body and promote weight loss) I would make sure you aren't getting more carbs than you realize.
  • tecallahan
    tecallahan Posts: 732 Member
    Options
    I think you also have to watch to keep the protein moderate -- or at least I do! There are some sources of fat that don't have any protein and I have to seek them out. Things like avocado, flaxseed oil, coconut oil, macadamia nuts. Otherwise, my protein gets too high and I will gain weight or stall.