Pole Goals?

Options
Bentley2718
Bentley2718 Posts: 1,690 Member
I was just wondering if anyone had any goals they want to share, like tricks they're working on, a song they want to be able to dance to, etc.? I was thinking it might be fun to post them, and then share when we got them.

Right now mine are a clean aerial invert (getting close) and a shoulder mount (nowhere near). Also, I want to be able to dance to Bush's Comedown. Moving slow is crazy hard for me.

Replies

• MrsSpinks
    MrsSpinks Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    I am a total beginner and I would like to be able to execute a standard Seat move! I can't let go! It just hurts my thigh skin too much!! I can do a shoulder mount though (just)! I'm good with strength, it's just holding on with your skin that's crazy hard for me!!
  • Bentley2718
    Options
    I find it really funny that you don't mention finding the shoulder mount be painful, but that you do find a sit to be. I'd say part of it is finding the "sweet spot" and part of it is just gritting your teeth until your body gets used to it. A fair amount of pole basically amounts to body hardening (e.g. climbing, knee holds). Sexy eh?
  • helenium
    helenium Posts: 546 Member
    Options
    I'm cleaning up my inverts so they look good (just working on a basic invert at the moment, no shoulder mounting) and (when I next see my teacher) trying to achieve the Cross Knee Release. I generally don't find pain to be a problem as I have a very high pain threshold, but I lack the flexibility for many things. Strength I'm finding easy to gain rapidly. Thankfully. :D
  • MrsSpinks
    Options
    It's the lovely bruises that are the sexiest!! :wink: Anything to do with holding on with skin instead of hands just kills me!! Makes me laugh that I gave birth with no drugs, yet I can't hold a seat with no hands for more than a second!! I have now finally got the crucifix down, used to slide off the minute I let both hands go, then one day I could just do it with no pain! Hopefully the same will happen with the seat moves soon!! :bigsmile:
  • helenium
    helenium Posts: 546 Member
    Options
    It's the lovely bruises that are the sexiest!! :wink: Anything to do with holding on with skin instead of hands just kills me!! Makes me laugh that I gave birth with no drugs, yet I can't hold a seat with no hands for more than a second!! I have now finally got the crucifix down, used to slide off the minute I let both hands go, then one day I could just do it with no pain! Hopefully the same will happen with the seat moves soon!! :bigsmile:

If you slide down in the crucifix despite your best efforts, I've found that's because I'm nowhere near warm enough - to remedy this, do some press-ups and ab-work until you feel yourself warmed up enough. Suddenly the pole becomes a LOT more grippier. Also make sure the pole is warm - though if you're warm, you'll transfer your heat to the pole more easily.

As for the sit, keep at it. Also note that in the days leading up to, and during your TOM, your skin around that area becomes a lot more sensitive to pain. Your pain tolerance will increase with time if you keep doing it every/every other day (or every week if you're at weekly classes with no pole in between - this'll take longer).

Bruising is hilarious. When I learned to climb the pole (the straightforward climb) my shins and feet looked like I'd been beaten up pretty badly. Now I'm getting all sorts of colourful shapes near my knee when I attempt the cross knee release. Weirdly I never bruised significantly on the inner thighs, but oh god did the sit hurt to begin wtih... :P
  • MrsSpinks
    Options
    i so need my own pole at home so I can practice every day! Currently going 2-4 times a month baby/money permitting! Both my sisters have their own poles though, so I'll have to gate crash their home training sesh's!!!
  • Bentley2718
    Options
    I feel you. My pole is in storage (for the past 6 months), and it's driving me insane and hindering my progress. I'm lucky in that my studio has "open pole" for an hour a few times a week, so I'm on the pole probably 2-3 days a week, but I still miss coming home and being able to do a little. I'm actually considering buying a used one, just because I know finding mine in the storage locker might cause the end of my marriage. Totally move in on your sisters' practice time. Also, I have no idea what your situation is, as far as space, etc. for a pole, but if your sisters pole too, and your family is supportive, maybe they could all chip in and get you one for the holidays?
  • diam0nddagger
    Options
    I've hardly been on my pole the last 4 or 5 months so my goal is to regain the strength I lost and be able to (just!) handspring again :)
  • Bentley2718
    Options
    I've hardly been on my pole the last 4 or 5 months so my goal is to regain the strength I lost and be able to (just!) handspring again :)

I always find returning to the pole from breaks to be frustrating. (I've had to take a few of them for various reasons.) I'm sure you'll get it back!
  • kimclaws
    kimclaws Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    I am working on a knee hold on the right side, the left side I got perfect, but the other side feels awkward and incredibly painful, but it is getting there, Also I have been working towards the chinese flagpole for months now, it is such slow progress.
  • Songtothesiren
    Songtothesiren Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    My pole goal?

It's the most basic of spin, the firelady/fireman. For some reason I just don't get it.

I'm determined though!

Mavis