Smarter than your boss?

Options
mabug01
mabug01 Posts: 1,273 Member
Who here is more knowledgeable than your supervisor about your field? I have had to train my last 3 supervisors and spend time making them look good so they can take the credit. How are you handling it?

Replies

• I_give_it_2_u_str8
    I_give_it_2_u_str8 Posts: 680 Member
    Options
    in the corporate world, your boss rarely knows as much as his/her subordinates in the technical sense. they are in that position only to lead and manage what you or I do from an organizational standpoint. the upside is that you dont take the wrap for something going wrong, and the downside is usually in the bonus structure ;)

i took a business class in university once, and my prof told us all that the kids getting the A's are going to work for the kids getting the C's.... i never believed it until now.
  • a_stronger_steph
    a_stronger_steph Posts: 434 Member
    Options
    Ahhh, I wish that were the case. My supervisor is terrifyingly brilliant and knowledgeable. Thankfully he's also an extremely relaxed and kind person, or I'd wet myself every time we had a meeting. :wink:
  • Kirsty_UK
    Kirsty_UK Posts: 964 Member
    Options
    I worked at a company where they promoted the team leader beyond his capabilities. At one point my colleague was hitting her head against a brick wall trying to explain to him which way round the larger and smaller dna fragments appear on a capillary electrophoresis trace and why his "trouble shooting" or her assay was all back to front and utter rubbish. He called her "arrogant" in her annual appraisal.

I dont know which is worse though. I've worked in places where the group head has been brilliant at the science, but awful at people management, so that things went on like someone walking off with the credit for someone elses work that he knew about, just didnt have the balls to fix.