what to do before starting?

Options
kelseyhere
kelseyhere Posts: 1,123 Member
Hi all. I just ordered the book and can't wait for it to arrive. I've had a lot of success in the past with weight lifting so I'm excited to get back into it seriously.

While I wait for the book to come, is there anything anyone can suggest I do in the meantime (workout wise) to start preparing?

I've been doing light lifting combined with Les Mills Body Pump classes already but was just curious if there are any muslce groups or areas I should be focusing on. I want to start building some stength now so I can get through the workouts.

Replies

• ruststar
    ruststar Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    Maybe just some body weight work: pushups, squats, and lunges. Get your form down and then you'll be able to add weight (well, not for the pushups).
  • Yanicka1
    Yanicka1 Posts: 4,564 Member
    Options
    Try to work on your grip. My hands where my weakest part :)
  • VinVenture
    Options
    Personally I'd work on the pushups, but find your weakest link and work it with what you've got :)
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    Options
    Try to work on your grip. My hands where my weakest part :)

This, my grip is so debilitating and frustrating. I can the rest of my body can lift far heavier weights than my hands can hold. With most of the moves it's not an issue, but deadlifts and anything with dumbells that can't be modified to a shoulder hold, forget about it.
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    Options
    Hi all. I just ordered the book and can't wait for it to arrive. I've had a lot of success in the past with weight lifting so I'm excited to get back into it seriously.

While I wait for the book to come, is there anything anyone can suggest I do in the meantime (workout wise) to start preparing?

I've been doing light lifting combined with Les Mills Body Pump classes already but was just curious if there are any muslce groups or areas I should be focusing on. I want to start building some stength now so I can get through the workouts.

I'm a body pump instructor, so as long as you have good form in class you should pretty much be okay with the moves. You'll find that a few moves are modified in a group fit environment for safety purposes (for example bp deads only go to knees where as weight room deads go to the floor), so make sure you really read and look at the illustrations for the moves in the book instead of depending on what you know from class. I actually think that this class is a great intro to lifting, good luck!
  • kelseyhere
    kelseyhere Posts: 1,123 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the tip, Body Pump form is pretty well drilled into me so I'll have to watch myself on that. Thanks everyone!