Prayer in Schools

Options
2»

Replies

• mikajoanow
    mikajoanow Posts: 584 Member
    Options
    The only problem with the article is that someone needs to let the good Rev. Linklater know that there's no such thing as atheist prayers...

Haha I saw that too!

An Atheist Prayer:

Dear no one,

Whatever.

Too funny!
  • mikajoanow
    mikajoanow Posts: 584 Member
    Options
    My kids go to public school and the discussion of religion in the class room was taught from a very generic pov on all world religions. I even checked out the text books at one point just to make sure there was no funny business going on lol They did skim over the other world religions a lot faster than they did Christianity but outside of that, it was all on the up and up.

I don't know why anyone would want a public school leading their kids in prayer or teaching kids their (school officials) personal opinions on what scripture means. It protects everyone to leave this stuff alone.
  • Lozze
    Lozze Posts: 1,917 Member
    Options
    Well I'll come in here from an Australian perspective :)

I went to a public primary school. Once a week we'd have an hour of 'Scripture'. Someone from the local churches would come down and teach the kids. There were six different options and the only pre-requisite for having the class was that they could have someone to teach it. So the Catholics/Baptists/Anglican churches would send someone down and we'd split up in that fashion. We had no Islamic kids in my year, but my brother did (two) and the school arranged for someone to come and teach them. We had one Jewish girl in my year and they searched so hard but couldn't get someone to come down and do the class for her. There was also a class with parents who opted not to send their kids to any religious instruction. The Jewish girl would come to class when they were dealing with the Old Testament (no matter what denomination) but would go the 'no religion' class if everyone was dealing with the New Testament.

I went to a private Anglican school in high school so we had Biblical Studies all through high school twice a week, plus a fortnightly chapel 'class'. Prayer would happen in every tutor group (home room type class) Ironically I learnt the most about other religions at my high school as every year we would spend a term on another major religion. I loved those classes because we went really in depth.