SALT/SODIUM

Options
babynew
babynew Posts: 613 Member
Help...
Sugar,has never been a problem for me.....BUT
Salt is.
The only sub. i knowof is dulce flakes so far.
I must admit,with this new lifestyle,i have not craved it
Too much at all......just a crunch,& i have learned
Celery us good for that,but...I only like celery for
The most part in smoothies..So,any. & all
Help...Thanks in advance

Replies

• Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    I don't worry too much about salt - I think it's more of a problem if you are eating lots of processed stuff.

If you are cooking your own meals from real ingredients, then you get to control how much salt is added, I don't think it's worth trying to find a substitute, better to minimine the amount you add when cooking, and use other flavours instead.
  • PoochPottery
    Options
    I agree! I am a bonafide salt-a-holic!! My diet is pretty much free of anything processed. However I do love my salt. My body actually craves it! Funny thing too is I had my blood work done and it came back I was low in sodium!!! I do stick to pure forms of salt like coarse Kosher for cooking and seasoning my food! Drink plenty of water and you should be fine.
  • lisabstrong
    lisabstrong Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    I agree! I am a bonafide salt-a-holic!! My diet is pretty much free of anything processed. However I do love my salt. My body actually craves it! Funny thing too is I had my blood work done and it came back I was low in sodium!!! I do stick to pure forms of salt like coarse Kosher for cooking and seasoning my food! Drink plenty of water and you should be fine.

Add a pinch of sea salt and a slice of lemon to your water and every time you refill it. Your body needs salt just not in excess...
  • babynew
    Options
    Hmmm....sea salt & lemon.
    Wish i knew that early this a.m. when i was extremely
    Tired,could not sleep,and when for a clausen,crunch,salt
    fix.Now my rings are tight fingers swollen ..holdig that water.
    I'd say i have been about 95% clean,unprocessed for 2
    months now.I have My body crave it especially when i an
    extremely tired.This has been since i was a teen.I have
    Never been deficient in blood work,although i am due.
    Good tip, thank you.
  • cantobean
    cantobean Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    For a natural crunchy, salty snack try kale chips:

tear some kale into large chip-sized pieces, toss with a little olive oil, salt, and garlic if you wish. Toss in the oven at 300 for 15-20 minutes.
  • simplyeater
    simplyeater Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    I LOVE kale chips! I think I agree with most of the posters here, salt you add on your own while cooking is OK as long as you are using appropriate amounts. It's the processed food that supplies all that excess sodium, and most of the time in the most unexpected things!!
  • ShrinkinMel
    ShrinkinMel Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    Salt added by me is so tiny. I'll use sea salt sometimes but I've never been one to use salt at the table(ever) even in baking and recipes I almost always omit the salt. The issue with sodium in my diet comes by way of the occasional fast food night or processed or the frozen foods which I do try to limit but some days shopping is so overwhelming for me.

One thing I've found is that using fresh garlic and onion as well as onion and garlic powders helps add a flavor to cooking without even using salt. :)
  • babynew
    Options
    The thing is. ..
    I never added x shall in my cooking when i DID cook
    (& i LOVED to..) for many many years,and even then
    Used low sod. Tomatoesin the off season Kosher,&
    Pink Himalayan Crystal,or celtic sea salt.NEVer seen
    At my table though.
    PROCESSED isn't an issue either because i am RAW
    About 99.6%...I do put lemon or line in my greenies
    And smoothies daily. Celery imparts a salty flavor
    In green smoothies.Actually,Dulce is a sea algae
    I mostly use satop salads,dips or raw spreads.
    What i guess i wast refrring to was another plant
    Based food.Olives just came to mind,but i haven't
    Had for awhile..since making a tampenade..nOw
    I AMMM craving..seeeeee
    Thanks for all your thoughts.This strange body is
    just a water hugger!
    Oh, i can't wait to try the Kale chips,I don't have
    a dehydrater just yet though.Thanks again &
    Any other. Ideas thoughts are welcome.
  • Austincbr
    Options
    I LOVE salt and esp soy sauce. I use it like steak sauce....for a soy replacement that actually tastes good try Braggs Liquid Aminos, like 1/3 of the salt of soy sauce and tastes just like it. My husband is as picky as they come and he likes it!