Pulley Machine

Options
Sorry, this is a Noob question. My gym has this pulley machine:
69002_big.jpg

I was going to sit on the floor and do the seated rows, but my husband talked me out of it (and the gym was crowded, so I wasn't gonna argue). So I used the seated row machine :tongue: ( The machine at the gym has upper and lower options on each side)

Tonight I have the wide grip lat pull downs, and again, it isn't set up to do these, as described, seated.

My question is, can I just do the exercise standing?

Thanks in advance for all advice!

Replies

• AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure how you would do wide grip lat pull down standing, but if you have a machine that enables you to do it go for it. Is this the only machine your gym has?
  • Lizzy_Sunflower
    Lizzy_Sunflower Posts: 1,510 Member
    Options
    sorry, I forgot to mention you can switch out the handles. There is a long bar I can hook instead of the grip shown. Also a rope option. I can do the exercise, there just isn't a bench under the contraption. :wink:
  • bizco
    bizco Posts: 1,949 Member
    Options
    All gyms have a lat pulldown machine. It's best to do the exercise seated as described in the book. If you're unsure how to use or setup the machine, ask one of the employees.
  • Lizzy_Sunflower
    Options
    All gyms have a lat pulldown machine. It's best to do the exercise seated as described in the book. If you're unsure how to use or setup the machine, ask one of the employees.

My only other choice would be the "isolation" type machine

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQitTAsEKKAfkFW_w-9qUNscSs_w82WgVkC6A-772gnz_g9v-hc

Maybe I could move a bench under the 1st machine.

But your recommendation is that I do it seated?
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    Options
    The issue here is that it's hard to get the proper angle while standing. try pulling a bench up and then straddeling the weights. What kind of row maching did your dh talk you into using?
  • Lizzy_Sunflower
    Options
    Also an "isolation" type machine. It's hard to find exact pictures here but it is something like this:
    images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSD5mjsw1os7umF0uGTpwlt9EtattzlTCoDcwyZ3d-LpGf0pzhWog
  • bizco
    bizco Posts: 1,949 Member
    Options

My only other choice would be the "isolation" type machine

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQitTAsEKKAfkFW_w-9qUNscSs_w82WgVkC6A-772gnz_g9v-hc

Maybe I could move a bench under the 1st machine.

But your recommendation is that I do it seated?
    Yes, seated. This machine isn't an "isolation" machine. You are working your lats, biceps and shoulders. You need the knee pads to keep yourself seated and they also help to keep your upper torso completely stationary; only your arms should move. As you increase the weight load, it becomes difficult to do both of these things if you aren't seated at a lat pulldown machine.
  • Lizzy_Sunflower
    Options
    Great, thanks for the info!