Becoming a non-smoker

Options
2»

Replies

• CnocNaCu
    CnocNaCu Posts: 536 Member
    Options
    UPDATE-Allen Carr is a genious! Finished the book Friday night and GLADLY smoked my last cigerette. Granted, it's only been 2 days..but I'm EXCITED about being a non-smoker and NEVER falling into the nicotine addiction trap again. Check out the book or watch the DVD or something..totally worth it!!

I'll second this recommendation - I bought it last week after seeing a bunch of recommendations on another thread on MFP. I'm a diehard skeptic, and couldn't imagine that a book could really deserve all these rave reviews from people who truly quit after reading it, but I figured what the heck... so I read it last weekend, but waited until I got through a tough day on Monday and finished the pack I had on Tuesday, and just stopped... just like that. I don't know what it is about that book, but I just don't feel like smoking is an option anymore - it's really amazing. And I had smoked for over 30 years.

I just passed the 72 hour/3 day mark, and while I wouldn't call the first three days 'easy', I'm through them now and its getting easier - today I could actually focus on my work most of the day - I felt like I was in a fog the first 2 days, which was really tough, and yesterday was superemotional, which is definitely not normal for me, but now I'm actually beginning to feel normal. And I'm super excited about how my heart rate is lower now when I run and walk on the treadmill - I'm hoping I can break my best 5K time this year - clean lungs have to make me faster, right??

Congratulations to your quit:flowerforyou:
    There is so much to be looking forward to, really! The heart rate will decrease within 2 weeks, you will be able to run faster. After 9 weeks I started coughing and cleaning my lungs. Over a period of 10 days I had to stop running a few times just in order to "cough it out". That's done now and I'm as fit as a fiddle :happy:
  • charm_quark
    charm_quark Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    I read Carr's book a month after I quitted smoking. A friend of mine, suggested it for me, cause I had terrible nerve break downs at the first months. Once I kicked our tv and broked it, my boyfriend had to lock me in the house one night, so I couldn't go and buy cigarretes (another reason that makes me love him more!!!)
    After reading it, each time I felt I was going crazy, I thought it as a victory against smoking.

I'm 10 months and 3 days clear! Soon I will have my re-birth-day party!!!!! I've stopped having normal birthday parties the last 5-6 years... but I feel that I deserve it now! I find the day I quitted smoking my re-birthday! It's the best present could ever give to myself.
  • CnocNaCu
    Options
    I read Carr's book a month after I quitted smoking. A friend of mine, suggested it for me, cause I had terrible nerve break downs at the first months. Once I kicked our tv and broked it, my boyfriend had to lock me in the house one night, so I couldn't go and buy cigarretes (another reason that makes me love him more!!!)
    After reading it, each time I felt I was going crazy, I thought it as a victory against smoking.

I'm 10 months and 3 days clear! Soon I will have my re-birth-day party!!!!! I've stopped having normal birthday parties the last 5-6 years... but I feel that I deserve it now! I find the day I quitted smoking my re-birthday! It's the best present could ever give to myself.

What a great achievement, what a great attitude. I'm so proud of you :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:
  • charm_quark
    Options
    What a great achievement, what a great attitude. I'm so proud of you :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:

So, didn't you have any break downs while quitting smoking?

I remember myself once driving. It was noon, and I couldn't find where to park the damn car in the center, to go to work. I was so frustrated with other drivers who just put on the alarms and let the car in the middle of the road so the others couldn't pass!! (roads is just a mess in Greece!!!!)
    I began craving for a cigarette, instantly. I was thinking to ask for one the driver who was next to me. Then I began imagine that I will take my car and run over the illegal parked cars and crash them!
  • mjbrowne
    mjbrowne Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    I have been seeing a lot about his book I want to quit and I am trying to get hubby to join me I did't know you could get a DVD where did you see that at? Congrats on being a non smoker ! I need to by the DVD I think I could get my husband to watch that
    Thanks any info would be great
    I thought there was a DVD, but I can't find it. I went to A Carr's website and you can do a webinar for $150. WAY more expensive than the book..but I cannot talk my husband into reading the book. I even offered to read it to him. He acts like he doesn't need a book (he thinks he's quit smoking when he actually switched to dipping at work and having a cigar every other day).
  • mjbrowne
    Options

AGREED!!! Great attitude and AWESOME STRENGTH!! If I would've had those intense urges..I honestly probably would've gave in and smoked. GREAT JOB!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • mjbrowne
    Options
    UPDATE-Allen Carr is a genious! Finished the book Friday night and GLADLY smoked my last cigerette. Granted, it's only been 2 days..but I'm EXCITED about being a non-smoker and NEVER falling into the nicotine addiction trap again. Check out the book or watch the DVD or something..totally worth it!!

I'll second this recommendation - I bought it last week after seeing a bunch of recommendations on another thread on MFP. I'm a diehard skeptic, and couldn't imagine that a book could really deserve all these rave reviews from people who truly quit after reading it, but I figured what the heck... so I read it last weekend, but waited until I got through a tough day on Monday and finished the pack I had on Tuesday, and just stopped... just like that. I don't know what it is about that book, but I just don't feel like smoking is an option anymore - it's really amazing. And I had smoked for over 30 years.

I just passed the 72 hour/3 day mark, and while I wouldn't call the first three days 'easy', I'm through them now and its getting easier - today I could actually focus on my work most of the day - I felt like I was in a fog the first 2 days, which was really tough, and yesterday was superemotional, which is definitely not normal for me, but now I'm actually beginning to feel normal. And I'm super excited about how my heart rate is lower now when I run and walk on the treadmill - I'm hoping I can break my best 5K time this year - clean lungs have to make me faster, right??

HOpefully you're on day 6?!?!?!? WAY TO GO!!! I can't wait for my work-outs to get easier cardio-wise. I like everyone's feedback so we know what to expect (like a potential cough after 9 weeks). I'm on my 2nd week as non-smoker and still feel great!
  • srp2011
    srp2011 Posts: 1,829 Member
    Options
    HOpefully you're on day 6?!?!?!? WAY TO GO!!! I can't wait for my work-outs to get easier cardio-wise. I like everyone's feedback so we know what to expect (like a potential cough after 9 weeks). I'm on my 2nd week as non-smoker and still feel great!

Congrats on week 2! That's fantastic!! :flowerforyou:

I'm on day 7 now, and I feel wonderful - the nicotine withdrawal brain fog of last week seems to be gone, and I feel back to normal, on the way to better than normal :bigsmile: I have to say, the physical withdrawal was harder than I expected, or more miserable, and I took a lot of naps, but now it's much easier - I think the point of Alan Carr's book is that it really is as easy or as hard as you make your mind up for it to be. I have the occasional twinge where I'm reminded of smoking, but then I just push the thought away by thinking, 'why on earth would I want a cigarette? I'm a non-smoker', and that seems to be it. Luckily I'm not around any other smokers - I think that would be more challenging - although I did see some people smoking on Saturday and I just felt sorry for them... and it smelled pretty darn gross - why did we ever do that to ourselves??? :noway:

I agree that it is really helpful to hear from others who are further along about what to expect. So far I've noticed it's easier to breathe deeply, and my resting heart rate is lower, although it still seems to be getting up there fairly high when I run, but that may be because I'm trying to increase my speed and distance... I can't wait for my energy to increase :drinker:
  • CnocNaCu
    Options

So, didn't you have any break downs while quitting smoking?

I remember myself once driving. It was noon, and I couldn't find where to park the damn car in the center, to go to work. I was so frustrated with other drivers who just put on the alarms and let the car in the middle of the road so the others couldn't pass!! (roads is just a mess in Greece!!!!)
    I began craving for a cigarette, instantly. I was thinking to ask for one the driver who was next to me. Then I began imagine that I will take my car and run over the illegal parked cars and crash them!

:bigsmile: LOL, what a great story.
    No, I had no major break downs but my hubby almost peed his pants when I, while talking to him, suddenly dropped to the floor doing a few push ups. He was looking at me asking:"Anything wrong?" and I said (completely out of breath) "No, just having a craving". Now, whenever he watches me doing fitness (Jillian Michaels) and performing push ups he says:"Having a craving, honey?".
    It's so funny!
    Yes, I was very irate for a few days and sometimes even a bit aggressively talking.
    Let's keep up the good work and spend our money on nice clothes and sports gear and make up and shoes, yay:laugh:
  • charm_quark
    Options
    Now, whenever he watches me doing fitness (Jillian Michaels) and performing push ups he says:"Having a craving, honey?".

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

As for our friends there,

You are at 2 weeks!!! This is a proof that you can do it! A few years ago, when I tried to quit smoking, I just did it for a couple of days! 2 weeks is an excellent sign.
    There is only a rule!!!!!

YOU WILL PROMISE YOURSELF YOU WILL NEVER SMOKE EVEN ONE DAMN CIGARETTE, NO MATTER WHAT!

I've sometimes been on the edge, thinking that "come on... it will be just a cigarette".
    Carr's book and advices from a friend who quitted twice make me avoid that. The one cigarette. NO!!! You did all this effort! Never do this one!

When reading the book , (I had already quitted) I found it a bit... stupid! I felt that the one that wrote it, though of me such an idiot!! But I was!!!! I smoked!!!! It's so obvious. I read it only once. Didn't like it firstly. Then I gave it to my father on his birthday.... (it didn't work!!!) Now, as I'm thinking of it, Carr, was trying by repeating some things to do a kind of a "good" brain wash to clean your brain from other brain wash that had occurred from tv etc.

Such as. You have a major problem/ stressful incident. Such a death in the family! You began having cravings and you think " I need this cigar". Why??? You need what? Why I cigar will help you with this? It won't! It's all a brain wash.

Could smoking help me with my unemployment?No !!!!! Could smoking help me with the health problems that my family has to deal with? No! Could smoking, help me have any children? No! (this is for women) Could smoking make me sexier? No, it makes you stink!!!!!

Ohhhhh, and I wanted to ask you, how do you feel when you smell smokers? I'm feeling now really sick! Can't stand the smoke any more! In my country, even the law forbids smoking in public areas (such as cafes etc) it's not very strict and I when I go for a coffee with my friends I come back home, take a shower and have to wash all my clothes to get rid the smell!!:grumble: :grumble:
  • mjbrowne
    Options
    There is only a rule!!!!!

YOU WILL PROMISE YOURSELF YOU WILL NEVER SMOKE EVEN ONE DAMN CIGARETTE, NO MATTER WHAT!

:love: LOVE LOVE LOVE this statement! I need to engrave it in my memory. Thanks for the reminder and encouragement from someone who's been through it!

I did discover something yesterday though. I started smoking when I was in an abusive relationship. I wasn't "allowed' to have an opinion so I just smoked down my words and emotions. When I was stressed or upset (even with my kids or co-workers) I would smoke until I calmed down. And then usually just went on with life instead of calmly addressing an issues. I traded working out every day for stress to smoking.

When I decided to quit smoking, I told myself that I needed to go back to exercise for stress like I did before i started smoking. THE PUSH UP STORY IS HILARIOUS!!! I can totally relate because that's what I'm doing..substituting exercise for smoking.

HOWEVER..I'm finding that it's hard to bridle my tongue. My temper isn't any worse..it's just I dont have that ciggie to "resolve" the negativity. I tend to spout out whatever is running through m y head..and it's not always nice! I HATE that I'm hurting my husband's feelings at times.

Has anyone had this issue? That you "smoked down" your emotions / feelings? Any advice? I am a non-smoker..that will NOT change..I just have been reminded of how much a b*t&% I was before I smoked and popped off at the mouth alot! And I don't like it.....
  • CnocNaCu
    Options
    Oh yesss, I did that ,too. My hubby, a non-smoker, who had always been very understanding and patient with his nicotin-smelly-money - on-*kitten*-spending-wife had to take a lot of my...let's call it imbalance :ohwell: after I quit.
    After I stopped :smokin: I turned out to be a :devil: : couldn't control my tongue and was not a nice person to be around. I talked to him, explained, apologized and promised him he would have a new wife soon.
    Luckily I could keep my promise.
    After about 3-4 weeks my nerves calmed down and I could speak out but without being nasty or even abusive. Am still ashamed of having been such a...ch.
  • aNEWmarcus
    Options
    Wow it was interesting reading everyone's comments. I've owned the Allen Carr book for a while, but haven't actually picked it up yet. Yesterday, I also brought the book for my ipad as well - my concept being that when I start to read the book TODAY - even if I'm away with work, i'll be able to read it when traveling etc on the ipad.

I did read it years ago, but put it down before the last page as I decided that I wasn't mentally ready to stop smoking. This time round - every single day for the past 2 weeks I've been complaining to myself about smoking. I have cut down a lot and I'm noticing that I can go hours without the need for one, I am starting to really taste how horrible they are, the morning cough and splutter isn't nice, the smell lingering on clothing certainly isn't good and more importantly now my exercise has upped and I'm doing more cardio and circuit sessions - I am really feeling the limitations that I've created for myself.

So the book has been picked up and opened and the preface has been read (I am a slow reader), but I will re-post on my last day of smoking!!

It's comforting that so many others have been or are going through this process and are there to support.. Thanks all
  • mjbrowne
    Options
    Marcus-PLEASE read the book! I bought it for my Kindle as well..so I could read it any time if I needed reinforcement. I went camping with a bunch of smokers this weekend (including my husband). I was VERY nervous before the trip. This would be the first time since I quit smoking that I would be around adults only drinking. I drank tons of vodka, sat with the smokers around the campfire, my husband chain-smoked cherry cigars, and I was not even BOTHERED or annoyed because I "couldn't smoke". I DID NOT EVEN HAVE THE SLIGHTEST NOTION TO SMOKE!! It was a liberating experience!! It's hard to explain..but the book will change your life. Warning..I had to read it twice before it sunk in. Read the US version and then the UK version...but it worked. My last smoke was at 10 pm 1/6/12!