Intro - W1D1

Options
Hi gang,

I'm a long time sufferer of Crohn's Disease, and was recently hospitalized with Disseminated Histoplasmosis due to the immune suppressants used to fight the Crohn's. The good news: 1) I'm not over weight - it's really hard to get over weight with active Crohn's as most of what you eat isn't absorbed. 2) The Histo meds have pit the Chron's into remission for the first time since I was diagnosed in 2004. The bad news: I am in terrible physical condition from both the Histoplasmosis damage and the YEARS of Crohn's. When you get all your energy from what you put into your body it's hard to just get through a normal day with what Crohn's lets you keep, so exercise has not been an option until now.

One of my goals is to get into shape while I'm still in remission, hoping a healthy body will help the remission last longer. My 2nd goal is to be able to run with my daughter (13 years old) when she starts training for cross country again next fall. (and keep up with her! LOL)

With those goals in mind I started the C25K run today. I'm using a very slow program because I am still pretty weak and have a bit of lung damage from the histo. Today my program was to walk 5, run 2, walk 5. Of course when my timer went off to start the run 2 I was right at the bottom of an up hill climb, uugh! I did make it but it was a tough run! My daughter taught me how to stretch out, so I'm feeling pretty good so far. Just a bit sore in the lower back, I have been having trouble there off and on since getting out of the hospital so I think that is just residual pain.

I'm glad to be here with others just starting out and am looking forward to helping keep each other motivated.