Sydney

Options
it_be_asin
it_be_asin Posts: 562 Member
I was wondering who lives in or around Sydney? It would be nice to see if we could share local events, information on local gyms, even match up a few exercise buddies along the way! FWIW, I live in Blacktown.

Replies

• spyder_rose
    spyder_rose Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    Hey, I'm in Maroubra... Only been in Sydney since April this year, so any advice is welcomed :)
  • brookepenni
    brookepenni Posts: 787 Member
    Options
    I lived in Sydney for 5 years and miss it like crazy (Im in Canberra now). I was in Randwick. Centennial park is a great work out, good for walking or jogging. The coastal walk around Bronte/Coogee to Bondi is incredible - a must do. I cant comment much on out West, but I am sure there are heaps of parks there.

I do know that there are lots of sporting teams, sports for everything and every level - so you could find something that will keep you motivated and committed. Or look for things like Orienteering (I am its biggest fan, dont know what it is - google it!).

Sydney is a great place to get fit and be healthy!
  • stimpackus
    stimpackus Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I'm in Richmond. I've been around the Hawkesbury/Nepean area now for around 15 years. I was actually born at Penrith, but went rural until my late teens. So far I've been to several different gyms - Fernwood at Penrith, then the same chain at Blacktown (a friend buddied up with me from Seven Hills). Eventually I moved to Plus Fitness (Seven Hills) before I tried out two more: One in North Richmond and the other in Windsor. I personally stick to the one out at "Northo" now lol, but I haven't been there for a while.

I would say the Mountains is a great place for walking tracks, and which give alternate routine in regards to exercise. There is also an exercise friendly area between Richmond and Windsor on Hawkesbury Valley Way (beside RAAF base) for runners and athletes. It is all level ground, but great for joggers and also has some outside weight training cable equipment for people to try.
  • desertpea
    desertpea Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I'm in Emu Plains. I've lived around here my whole life (except for a four year stint in Dubbo). I originally was in St Marys but seem to gravitate west everytime I move.

For walking or jogging, I am just near the Nepean River which is beautiful and about a 7km round circuit. I also love the Blue Mountains and having the National Park 10 minutes up the road - there are some beautiful bushwalks around. I tend to stay to the tried and true tracks so I don't get lost - maybe I need to work on my spatial skills!

As far as a gym - I'm with Ultra Fit at Leonay - its a tiny gym and I'm only a new member but so far so good. I have a program for and I feel comfortable and happy to train.

I recently did the Mud Run at the Equestrian Centre at Horsley Park - Highly recommended for LOADS OF FUN!!! Its an annual even. A 6km run (walk, crawl..) with obstacles and lots of mud! There is another one on at Peats Ridge (Central Coast) coming up shortly.

Anyhoo.. love to hear from anybody.
  • orangejellybean
    orangejellybean Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Hi :)

I am Katie and currently living in Penrith. I am originally from the country - Tamworth and spent a year in Dubbo before moving here last June. I joined a gym as soon as i moved here - fernwood in Penrith - and have been loving it!
    Need to be extra brave this year and start doing some classes so hopefully i can make some new friends.
    Anyone who lives around this area and who would be interested in going for a walk one day or catch up for a coffee or just have a motivation buddy let me know!
    I find being away from friends and family really hard and that is a struggle i need to overcome and to stop heading for the kitchen every time i feel lonely haha!
    So 2012 is it!!

Katie :)
  • it_be_asin
    it_be_asin Posts: 562 Member
    Options
    Hi :)

I am Katie and currently living in Penrith. I am originally from the country - Tamworth and spent a year in Dubbo before moving here last June. I joined a gym as soon as i moved here - fernwood in Penrith - and have been loving it!
    Need to be extra brave this year and start doing some classes so hopefully i can make some new friends.
    Anyone who lives around this area and who would be interested in going for a walk one day or catch up for a coffee or just have a motivation buddy let me know!
    I find being away from friends and family really hard and that is a struggle i need to overcome and to stop heading for the kitchen every time i feel lonely haha!
    So 2012 is it!!

Katie :)

Sent you a message - if you want a training buddy after work in the 'riff, I'll start work there in Feb.
  • losethepuku
    Options
    Hi I'm Amy and just moved to Sydney a month ago so 'newbie".. living in Woolloomooloo and would love to know if there are any city siders looking for a workout buddy
  • Rydell86
    Rydell86 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Howdy, I live in Meadowbank and am moving to Parramatta from Penrith for work on Wednesday! So everything will be new in Parra! My understanding is there's a lot of places you can work out there, but I don't really know it very well, so can't be sure. I'm a member at V&R Fitness in Meadowbank, but don't go very often because it's a hard place to be when you're by yourself.
  • The77dtrain
    Options
    I'm in Sydney, in the Hills District
  • GO_NadZ_xO
    GO_NadZ_xO Posts: 445 Member
    Options
    Sydney - South West :)
  • Kiarna
    Kiarna Posts: 2
    Options
    Hey everyone.

Penrith area girl here. At the moment I work out at FitnFast, but having lived/ worked across Sydney I know quiet a few good gyms, etc.
  • mariagabriella
    mariagabriella Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    I'm in Sydney - from the Northern Beaches :)

I workout at Virgin Active, trying to motivate myself to get outside more though..!!
  • jaysonhijinx
    jaysonhijinx Posts: 663 Member
    Options
    Sydney South-West resident here but spend just as much time in the city (work + gym).
  • soapsthegreat
    Options
    Hey im in Bondi, work in the city , gym in the city/ Bondi Junction at FF ( i have a wicked trainer too...highly recommended)
    any help/ support always welcome ... i tend to hove around the same weight always ggrrr
  • heyitsmegxx
    heyitsmegxx Posts: 444
    Options
    I'm going to Sydney the first week in June because it's study week at Uni. Any ideas on what to do when I get there would be helpful! (:
  • hardkitty
    hardkitty Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I'm near by, just south of Wollongong, but I head up to Sydney every now and then :)
  • Rollersaurus1
    Rollersaurus1 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I'm in Liverpool. Doing the million paws walk at Cathy Freeman Park with my roller derby team on Sunday week. Is anyone else going?
  • Petefry1
    Petefry1 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    The Hills too, and work in the city.
  • ToniDat
    ToniDat Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Hi all, I live in the Holroyd district and work in Parramatta. I don't go to the gym but I walk alot and just started doing Yoga (at home) would love to find some Yoga classes out this way.
  • leanne9876
    leanne9876 Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    I live near Penrith