What do you do after a binge?

Options
rharris86dc
rharris86dc Posts: 635 Member
Because I just had a huge one and I can't stop crying and feeling disgusting and ashamed. I ate so much that I feel physically ill, and I keep dry heaving because now I'm crying so hard.

I need help, please.

Replies

• veggie_1200
    Options
    I am exactly the same! I try not to think about it....I watch some stupid TV show or try to go to sleep.....sometimes I really need someone to talk to so you're always welcome to add me/message me when you're feeling down. I know what it's like!! Stay strong, you'll get through this.
  • apesid
    apesid Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    Sometimes if I can make myself MOVE then I feel better. By cleaning, exercising, playing with my kids, whatever it will be - just moving and not wallowing on what I've just done can make it easier.
  • HonkyTonks
    HonkyTonks Posts: 1,193 Member
    Options
    Feel guilty mostly, and sick
    I have purged in the past but I have overcome that
  • gisele246
    gisele246 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I exercise. I try to not create an eat/binge cycle but the only way I know how to deal with it is to exercise and make-up those calories the best I can. I also try to keep food in the house that is better to binge on. The other day I ate 75 cherries lol but it was only 300 calories.
  • caitlinsmom07
    caitlinsmom07 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Sometimes if I can make myself MOVE then I feel better. By cleaning, exercising, playing with my kids, whatever it will be - just moving and not wallowing on what I've just done can make it easier.

this works for me. i binged today :( when i stopped feeling like i was gonna toss my cookies (literally) i got up and moved.
  • echoica
    echoica Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    when i would binge (think 7000+ calories) i would be so sick (cramps, nausea, headache, sweats etc) that i couldn't do anything other than lie around and TRY to sleep...sorry you are having troubles and i don't have any good suggestions. perhaps video games or a movie?
  • lynn1982
    lynn1982 Posts: 1,439 Member
    Options
    Exercise if I can. I also throw out anything left in my kitchen that may be a trigger food for me. And remember, tomorrow is a new day...
  • recoveryisbeautiful
    Options
    I remove myself from the situation, go outside and sit down in my garden with a blanket for a while or just go into my bedroom (which is a food-free place). I usually eat a couple of strawberries afterwards so the smell of my breath doesn't remind me of the binge.

Edit: And to everyone that exercises after a binge, be careful. When I started exercising off every calorie, fasting and restricting just to ''make up for it'', I developed bulimia.
  • enliven_mal
    enliven_mal Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    If I catch myself in the middle of a binge (which has been few and far between lately thanks to MFP - accountability!), and I am able to stop (which sometimes I am not), I will go brush, and floss my teeth and swish with mouthwash. I hate ruining that super minty taste with more food and USUALLY it is enough to get me to stop.
  • greekygirl
    greekygirl Posts: 448 Member
    Options
    Like others, I exercise the next morning, for sure. I reach out and share with my friends here. I ask for help. I really try to learn from it. Most importantly, I try to forgive myself and move on. That can be difficult but it's SO important!
  • graelwyn
    graelwyn Posts: 1,340 Member
    Options
    I usually purge as I have not found a way to deal with the awful protruding stomach and sheer sense of fullness and panic that comes afterwards. I only managed to go to bed without purging once. It is the potential to gain a Ib or 2 of genuine weight from a single binge for me that is really scary and the fact that I often don't feel up to exercising the next day even to help undo some of the damage.
  • maryloomis
    Options
    So disgusted with myself over what I ate today. I felt like bingeing all day and was able to avoid it part of the day by drinking water and chewing gum. Once I avoided it by no credit of my own. I went to th vending machine with $1 and made my selecton and the machine ate my money but didn't give me anything back. I blew it after work by going o Walmart when I knew I was hungry and I bought ingredients to make lobster mac and cheese to satisfy a craving I was obsessing over. And then I bought a couple other binge foods knowing I was going to be out of control but not stopping myself at all. I felt so miserable after I stuffed myself that I made myself throw up for the first time in quite a few weeks and feel both better and worse. My new friend Diane has shown me by example that the best medicine for a binge is to acknowledge it, accept it, and move on. And I learned in Bible study this week that all the times I am beating myself up and telling myself what an idiot I am, God is telling me, "I love you. Try again." So, even though I still feel disgusted with myself I logged everything I ate, I shared it with all of you, and now I am going to move on and make the rest of the night better. And tomorrow, I am going to try again to make it through a full 24 hours wihout a binge.