Hi Folks, Need some advice

laurelderry
laurelderry Posts: 384 Member
edited October 6 in Social Groups
**I posted this in the main forums and got some really nasty comments back ;( I'm excited to get input from any of you. Thanks!

Hi Everyone,

I have been doing the Primal Blueprint since Dec 1st. I have had a few slip ups here and there, but for the most part am adhering to it well. I noticed a great deal of initial weightloss (see below)

Weight 12/12/11 126.7 delete
Weight 12/11/11 128.1 delete
Weight 12/10/11 129.1 delete
Weight 12/06/11 129.3 delete
Weight 12/03/11 129.7 delete
Weight 12/02/11 132 delete
Weight 12/01/11 133 delete

However, since the 12th I am back up to 129.4. That's a 2.7 gain. Overall, I have still lost 3.6 lbs since the 1st- which is great, but I'm interested to figure out why I have gained nearly 3 lbs in the last three days. After doing some research on marksdailyapple.com, I think it may be the excessive dairy I am consuming. I think it's also a combination of the fact that I am very well sated the whole day, and my overall cal intake has dropped significantly, in addition to higher sodium level. However, I have been drinking a lot of water to counterbalance this *(ignore my diary, I don't log my water very accurately).

Any primal/paleo eaters please feel free to comment. The carbohydrate curve for weightloss is (and I am usually consuming 75-100 a day):

150-300 grams/day – Steady, Insidious Weight Gain

Continued higher insulin-stimulating effect prevents efficient fat burning and contributes to widespread chronic disease conditions. This range – irresponsibly recommended by the USDA and other diet authorities – can lead to the statistical US average gain of 1.5 pounds of fat per year for forty years.

100-150 grams/day – Primal Blueprint Maintenance Range

This range based on body weight and activity level. When combined with Primal exercises, allows for genetically optimal fat burning and muscle development. Range derived from Grok’s (ancestors’) example of enjoying abundant vegetables and fruits and avoiding grains and sugars.

50-100 grams/day – Primal Sweet Spot for Effortless Weight Loss

Minimizes insulin production and ramps up fat metabolism. By meeting average daily protein requirements (.7 – 1 gram per pound of lean bodyweight formula), eating nutritious vegetables and fruits (easy to stay in 50-100 gram range, even with generous servings), and staying satisfied with delicious high fat foods (meat, fish, eggs, nuts, seeds), you can lose one to two pounds of body fat per week and then keep it off forever by eating in the maintenance range.

0-50 grams/day – Ketosis and Accelerated Fat Burning

Acceptable for a day or two of Intermittent Fasting towards aggressive weight loss efforts, provided adequate protein, fat and supplements are consumed otherwise. May be ideal for many diabetics. Not necessarily recommended as a long-term practice for otherwise healthy people due to resultant deprivation of high nutrient value vegetables and fruits.

Read more: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/the-primal-carbohydrate-continuum/#ixzz1gibRKPbj

Replies

• kkarrolle
    kkarrolle Posts: 120 Member
    My initial thoughts are you will probably do your head in weighing on a daily basis. Our weight fluctuates on a daily basis for so many reasons...whether you are maintaining or striving to lose weight probably best to only weigh once a week at the very most. Single day gains are not likely to be fat gains but more likely fluid retention. Gains over a number of days may be due to greater food intake than required. But I would assume if you have a good handle on what your body needs and waistbands were getting tighter that you would know that you are eating too much.

I assume you are wanting to lose weight? Mark Sissom recommends working out your required calorie intake..there is likely to be a link on MDA for his preferred site, then calculate your protein requirement based on lean body weight, add in carb intake and the rest of the calories should come from healthy fats. Don't forget exercise...low intensity cardio, strength or resistance training two or three times a week and occasional sprint intervals.

Not sure what dairy you are consuming?? Some people can handle it, some can't.
  • mgmlap
    mgmlap Posts: 1,377 Member
    I agree with Karrolle. Daily gains can be anything....defilitely not weight gain..nor muscle gain. I know for myself..when I eat non-paleo..i feel very "full" and I pretty much go up in weight about 1.2 pounds..but eating paleo for 2 days after..I am back down...so its just bloating for me.

I would say you have only done this for a few weeks..most people do it for a few months to figure out if its working or not. I would also suggest to take measurements. I have been steady wit my weight for 3 weeks..but have managed to lose about 3 inches overall...which is good.
  • lys617
    lys617 Posts: 51 Member
    Keep with it and I agree, stop weighing yourself every day. You will get obsessed with it. I took a look at your diary. Up your fat intake with good healthy fats, you aren't giving your body carbs as fuel anymore so your body is wanting to burn fat, but your not eating enough of it. By adding good fats you will increase your caloric intake also. I hope that helps. =)
  • _Amy_Budd
    _Amy_Budd Posts: 378 Member
    I love that you keep such great records, and that you're motivated to figure out how to tweak it for you. I agree that you should weigh less often, and remember that you've only been doing this for a couple of weeks - your body is still adjusting and settling in, hence the fluctuations.

Stick with it. It's worth it. :)
  • monkeydharma
    monkeydharma Posts: 599 Member
    I'll chime in, too.

Body weight fluctuates daily for a number of reasons non-food related.

- Salt is a big issue; since it is a poison yet required for the body to function, the body keeps it diluted to a safe level. If you have more sodium, the body retains additional water to keep it diluted properly, and it may take a couple of days to eliminate it.

- Waste products. The intestines can carry several pounds of waste, and depending on one's elimination schedule, it can affect weight temporarily.

- Menstrual cycles. Water retention during this is a cliche for women; but men are also affected by this lunar cycle as well - just not as obviously.

- Plateus. The body tends to lose 10-15 pounds then stop for a few days. This is normal. Hormone and endocrine production needs to adjust to the change in body weight, and the body's "self image" needs to be re-calibrated as well.

I weigh myself daily, but I LOG it weekly. Weekly is good enough to let you know which direction you are heading in.
  • laurelderry
    laurelderry Posts: 384 Member
    Thank you everyone! I truly appreciate the genuine feedback! I will NEVER post anything in the main forums again after the nasty response I got, lol
  • demuralist
    demuralist Posts: 31 Member
    I weigh daily. But if you are going to do that you have to know that there are wild fluctuations and be mentally prepared for it. It is unlikely you are eating enough to gain a pound a day, and it is likely water retention. I would see if you are close to TTOM, or if you have had more sodium than normal, or less fluid than normal (a lower carb program works better when you increase you fluid intake), if you had fewer veggies as these act as natural diuretics.

Personally, I weigh on a daily basis so that I can tweak my food and liquid intake, for me though it is just another piece of information, missing a day means a piece of information is lost that I can never recover.

To each his own though, I know there are people who lose weight and never weigh themselves.

Good Luck
  • momof8munchkins
    momof8munchkins Posts: 1,167 Member
    I'll chime in, too.

Body weight fluctuates daily for a number of reasons non-food related.

- Salt is a big issue; since it is a poison yet required for the body to function, the body keeps it diluted to a safe level. If you have more sodium, the body retains additional water to keep it diluted properly, and it may take a couple of days to eliminate it.

- Waste products. The intestines can carry several pounds of waste, and depending on one's elimination schedule, it can affect weight temporarily.

- Menstrual cycles. Water retention during this is a cliche for women; but men are also affected by this lunar cycle as well - just not as obviously.

- Plateus. The body tends to lose 10-15 pounds then stop for a few days. This is normal. Hormone and endocrine production needs to adjust to the change in body weight, and the body's "self image" needs to be re-calibrated as well.

I weigh myself daily, but I LOG it weekly. Weekly is good enough to let you know which direction you are heading in.
    I agree 100% .. especially for women we nautrally fluctate... also one thing that may be happening.. when you first go Primal/paleo your body will go through a detox/carb flu where it reacts to the change in diet.. once the body gets out all the bad stuff it becomes more sensitive when exposed.. it's not unsual for food sensitivities begin to surface that were masked before for example- soy, comercial dairy, gluten- all things that can cause weight gain for me personally.
This discussion has been closed.