Post Surgery dizziness/lightheadedness?

Options
Has anyone else had dizziness and lightheadedness post surgery? I had surgery on Monday, it is Friday now, so Im what, 5 days post op? Ive had a busy day today, so Im not sure if the activity has played a part in it. Ive had a dizzy spell off and on all day today. Ive had to stop, close my eyes, grab onto something or someone and stand still for a minute to get over it. I havent blacked out or passed out, just felt woozy. Ive logged 540 calories today, 80 grams of protein, 72 ounces of water.

Replies

• GrammyDiane
    Options
    I had similar light-headedness episodes post-surgery for about a week. I had to sit down or hold onto something just like you described. I wondered if it was the low calories or just trying to do too much all at once. Probably it was more likely a combination of the two. After that first week, I have not noticed it again even though my calorie intake is about the same. I know you posted last Friday so hopefully this has now passed for you as well.
  • juliesue123
    Options
    HI, no dizziness for me, but lots of nausea. My surgery was 12/5/2011.
  • freakingenius
    freakingenius Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    the dizzies invited their friend nausea.... ive got an appt with my dr on the 28th. got to find out whats going on or what im doing wrong. im on the oatmeal/grits/yogurt plus protein shakes week. im hitting my goals... maybe im still eating too fast (even though im making an effort to eat ever so slowly?)
  • risskie
    risskie Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    Be sure to let us know what's going on with the dizziness, etc. Hope it's nothing serious. Prayers. :sick:
  • sue2ekelly
    Options
    Not sure if you're on any meds for pre surgery obesity-related conditions, such as blood pressure medication. I had dizziness as well about a week or so post surgery. For me it turned out to be my blood pressure. I had lost enough weight to bring my blood pressure down naturally, but I was still taking the same amount of medication as I was pre surgery. I am off my bp meds now and have not had any dizziness.
  • freakingenius
    freakingenius Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I spoke with my dr. He said that I need to break up my meals into 3 meals with 2 snacks in order to keep my blood sugar up. Plus I need to drink more water. I've done both the last week and I haven't gotten dizzy... HOWEVER I feel like I'm eating constantly =/
  • ebernutter
    Options
    Hi, I just joined the group, but thug I would give my experience. I had my gastric bypass in Sept of '06 and it was from low blood pressure... so you may want to get that checked out... I was told by my doctor(pcp) to up my salt intake a little, and drink more water, and that's pretty much worked for me. The days where my water/salt intake aren't enough then I'll find myself dizzy and lightheaded...

When I asked my surgeon about it, he said it was somewhat common for patients to have these issues post-op.