Soy sauce with my sashimi?

_Amy_Budd
_Amy_Budd Posts: 378 Member
edited October 6 in Social Groups
I have a sushi dinner coming up, which is something I haven't done since I've gone Primal, pretty much because of the soy sauce.

And now I'm wondering just how anti-Primal it would be to just dip some sashimi in some low-sodium soy sauce. I won't do edamame, and I'll do mushroom broth instead of miso soup with tofu, and I won't do the ginger dressing on the salad. So would consuming a couple of tablespoons of soy sauce send my Primal system for a loop? Or... should I just suck it up and have my sashimi plain?

I am interested in your thoughts on the subject, friends... :)

Replies

• monkeydharma
    monkeydharma Posts: 599 Member
    I'm not sure what you mean by "won't" - because of nutritional concerns, or because you don't like the taste?

Sashimi: sushi fish without the rice, etc. OK.

Soya: fermented (brewed) soy juice. Because it is fermented, it is OK in a primal diet - salt may be a consideration, so like you said, lo-sodium is the way to go.

Edamame: whole soy beans. About the only form of soy that is actually GOOD for you. OK.

Mushroom broth: OK

Miso w/tofu. Nope.

Ginger dressing: OK, depending on the amount of sweetener added. Since ginger is good for you, and it is only a couple of tablespoons, it's OK on an occasional basis. Have them serve it on the side so you can control the amount of dressing.

That's the verdict - at least from my perspective. Enjoy! :)
  • _Amy_Budd
    I'm not sure what you mean by "won't" - because of nutritional concerns, or because you don't like the taste?
    It's nutritional concerns. My goal is to stay away from anything that will spike blood sugar, and insulin response.
    Soya: fermented (brewed) soy juice. Because it is fermented, it is OK in a primal diet - salt may be a consideration, so like you said, lo-sodium is the way to go.

Edamame: whole soy beans. About the only form of soy that is actually GOOD for you. OK.

Ginger dressing: OK, depending on the amount of sweetener added. Since ginger is good for you, and it is only a couple of tablespoons, it's OK on an occasional basis. Have them serve it on the side so you can control the amount of dressing.
    Really? All these aren't no-nos? That would be great... Thanks! :)
  • monkeydharma
    It depends on how strict you want to be.

Whole soy has some health benefits. Fractionated soy (from which most soy products - milk, texturized protein, soybean oil, etc.) does not. Edamame and soy sauce are on the "occasionally" list.

Ginger is very healthy for you. The dressing is less so - but it is still healthier than 80% of the other salad dressing out there. Just ask for it on the side, and use a little as you can get away with. In the context of an entire meal, the dressing will only add three or four grams of sugar per tablespoon - not so bad, really. Just skip the Green&Black 85% chocolate for the day - which had 16g sugar. ;)
  • _Amy_Budd
    I like being fairly strict. :)

I don't mind skipping the ginger dressing - I don't want the added sugar. But I will totally have some edamame, and will dip my sashimi in low-sodium soy sauce. Add the mushroom soup and that makes for a very happy meal for me. :)

Thanks for the advice.
  • _Amy_Budd
    Just skip the Green&Black 85% chocolate for the day - which had 16g sugar. ;)
    The dark chocolate is my only indulgence - and I had double tonight what I usually have... Let's just say that there are a couple of days during the month when I crave chocolate more than usual.
  • monkeydharma
    Oh, no doubt. My wife is the same - I'm more of a cheese and onions type. :)

My point was take it into account. Your normal dose of chocolate has 8 grams of sugar in it. Two tablespoons of the dressing (based on a ginger dressing I bought early in my diet) has 6 grams of sugar. They're both sucrose - so if you decide to have some of the dressing, just skip the chocolate that day - and you will not have had more sugar than you normally do.

However you go - enjoy!
  • jsuaccounting
    jsuaccounting Posts: 189 Member
    Some of the paleo bloggers point out that fermenting negates the toxins. They are ok with fermented food, and sometimes well-soaked foods that otherwise are a no-no. If I come accross a link/name I'll send it your way.
  • mehaugen
    mehaugen Posts: 210 Member
    Maybe make sure to bring some gluten free soy sauce? I like Little Soya travel packages.
  • _Amy_Budd
    Maybe make sure to bring some gluten free soy sauce? I like Little Soya travel packages.

Ooo, that's a thought... I will see if I can find some before Wednesday (sushi dinner night). Ya think Trader Joe's would carry that?
This discussion has been closed.