Not a late period...

Options
No, my period isn't late or early. In fact, it's not coming at all. I haven't lost a ton of weight, and I haven't lost any since September. I eat fine, not too little and not too much, and I don't think I'm working out too much. Most of my workout is running in intervals and sometimes walking to campus. Other than that, playing drums which is not physically exhausting most of the time. I don't have a history of missing any periods, not missed one since I started and I'm not on birth control. This is the second one that I have missed, and I know I'm not pregnant (if I were pregnant, I would have some symptoms and probably be showing by now) I have no idea why this is going on, and I wanted to know if anybody else has experienced this? If so, how did you get it solved?

ps I know I need to see a doctor, but I'm a college student and I'm paying for my own tuition, so I have no health insurance and I'm trying to save the money to get seen at the health services place on campus. Other than that, if I need something such as birth control, where could I get that for not a lot of money and preferably a cheap appointment? I was thinking Planned Parenthood, but I wasn't sure what their costs were...
Thanks

Replies

• KaleidoscopeEyes1056
    KaleidoscopeEyes1056 Posts: 2,996 Member
    Options
    One other question: If I do have to start taking birth control, what type would be the best? I know of the pill, a shot, the IUD and a patch. And what brand is the best from personal experience?
  • sunkisses
    sunkisses Posts: 2,365 Member
    Options
    Unfortunately, I have no advice to offer because this really falls under the realm of "medical professional" and that doesn't help you. Just didn't want you to think your post was ignored. I hope you find a solution. They've recently upped the age for college students to stay on their parents' health insurance. Any way you might be able to get back on your parents'? Good luck to you.

Oops, almost forgot:

As far as birth control goes, I had to try a few different Pills before I could settle with one. I'm on Yasmin now, and it works for me in that the side effects are minimal, and my period shows up when it's supposed to as opposed to the lowest estrogen pills on the market. I'm very sensitive to these things, but need them nonetheless.
  • KaleidoscopeEyes1056
    Options
    My mom doesn't have health insurance either (pre-existing conditions) but thanks for the advice on the birth control. I think I would be kinda sensitive too, I'm sensitive to a lot of medicines even Tylenol.
  • fiberartist219
    fiberartist219 Posts: 1,865 Member
    Options
    I just stopped taking birth control, and I know I'm not pregnant, because my husband and I have been abstaining ever since. I haven't had a period in two months, and I have an appointment on Tuesday to figure out what it is.

I was in about a month ago for a digestive issue, and the doctor asked. She said if I go two full months without a period, I need to come back in.

She suggested that it might be something to do with my thyroid hormones, but honestly I feel fantastic, and I don't think it's that, because I can usually tell when my thyroid is running sluggishly.

Even if I find out on Tuesday what might be wrong with me, there are a million things that cause this kind of thing, so what is the issue for me, might not be it for you. You could have something completely different going on.

I hope you can save up some money to seek a real doctor, because internet strangers can't figure this out for you.
  • KaleidoscopeEyes1056
    Options
    Yeah, I was mainly asking if anybody had experienced it before. And, also the question about birth control. Like I said, my friend said that Planned Parenthood had reasonable prices, but if I go there, I have to get all kinds of other tests that I won't really need and I'm not sure if they cost anything, and I could ask my mom, but just mentioning Planned Parenthood would make her not help me, even though it's just for an exam or whatever...
  • auctoritas
    Options
    Don't do the shot. It's cons far outweigh the pros. IUDs are a good way to go, though you have the issue of insertion pain and not using tampons (if you do). I used the pill on and off for a long time and skipped the sugar pills to stop my periods anyway with success. A friend of mine uses the nuva ring and swears by it, and I'd recommend it too due to low dosage and the localized hormone release, vs the full-body hormone release of all other hormone methods.

Get a pregnancy test just to be sure if you have been sexually active - there's a show called "I didn't know I was pregnant" for a reason. XD But it could be the exercise too. If you were previously sedentary, starting exercise can trigger lack of periods in some women.
  • fiberartist219
    fiberartist219 Posts: 1,865 Member
    Options
    Does your campus have a health center? That might be the best, easiest, and cheapest way to get birth control.
  • Krushchev
    Krushchev Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    Planned Parenthood is a wonderful, wonderful place. A few states have de-funded it, but unless yours is one of them, you should qualify for full coverage. I live in California & make ~$1600 a month & never have to pay anything. They do accept donations, but you set the value.
    How old are you? It sounds like you might have other issues if you can't tell your mom why you need birth control.
    Call & make an appointment, they'll go over what the costs would be for anything you might need. They'll talk to you about your sexual activity, if you have any odd discharge, pain, etc & go over what tests you feel you need vs what they usually reccomend. I got a "well woman" exam that was literally top to bottom & a Mirena inserted within a few hours of calling for an appointment.
  • KaleidoscopeEyes1056
    Options
    I've already gotten a pregnancy test and it was negative.
    As for my mom, I'm 20 so I don't need permission, I was just saying that I can't go to her if I need money for it.
    I looked online to see if the health services place on campus would be able to help, the website said they do "female exams," but that's pretty vague, I think I'll just have to go in there and see if they can help.
    krushchev, I'm making around $800/month so I don't think I'll have much of a problem getting some assistance, I hope. I know they have been doing some de-funding for the Planned Parenthood here, which I think is absolutely ridiculous... I'll definitely start (eh, if I can) saving money for it soon. Or hope that it just comes back...

Oh, I almost forgot, as for my activity level, I started to really work out in September and didn't have a problem with my period until now. Before then I wasn't necessarily inactive, I live on campus exclusively and I walk places because I don't have a car. I'm not sure if that's a really big help...
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options
    Female Exams generally mean a Pap Smear and a Breast Check to make sure that there is no abnormalities.

As far as Birth Control goes, I take Loesterin 24 FE it's a pill. I have a 24 day cycle, go off the hormonal pills for 4 days, get a period and re-start them. For me, it' wonderful. I have no cramps, no fatigue and my PMS is noticeably less. I've also lost weight while on the pill while others have had major issues.. so it really is a individual thing.
  • christine24t
    christine24t Posts: 6,063 Member
    Options
    i am not sure what state you are in, but in minnesota we have something called Minnesota Family Planning Program, where you get free female exams and free birth control if you make less than 1600 or so dollars a month. It's awesome. You don't pay the cost of office visits.

Check if your state has something like that!

P.S. I believe starting in 2012 you cannot be denied health insurance for pre-exsisting conditions. I am sure your mother knows that but just letting you know!!
  • KaleidoscopeEyes1056
    Options
    I will look for that, thank you!
  • zoe4friends
    zoe4friends Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    I am in the same situation. I started working out in September and lost about 40lbs since then. I missed my periods in February, and still haven't gotten them in March. I searched online and rapid weight loss and working out are listed among some of the causes. I wasn't much worried missing them for 1 month, but second month in a row kind of gets me worried.
    Any feedback would be very much appreciated.