Starting C25K On January 2nd-Tips?

Options
So, I have been trying to find motivation to get back into working out. I heard about the Couch to 5K program and decided to check it out!! I have decided that with every week I complete the workouts without stopping, I will reward myself (not with food). And every 5 lbs lost do the same. My small town has a 5K on the 4th of July and my main goal and I want to reward myself with a new Ipod!! Anyways, I would love people suggestions, tips, advice, input, anything!! :) Thanks!

Replies

• jskaggs1971
    jskaggs1971 Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on making the decision to start! My only tip/question is this: Why wait for January? You could start now and already be in Week 3 when the new year rolls around.
  • Allik623
    Options
    That's so interesting that you said that!! This morning my brother (my C25K partner) and I decided that we are going to start tomorrow!! I am super nervous!! I Have never been a runner!
  • shydaisi
    shydaisi Posts: 833 Member
    Options
    Run outside.
    Focus on controlling your breathing.
    Do not focus on speed. At all.
  • shydaisi
    Options
    That's so interesting that you said that!! This morning my brother (my C25K partner) and I decided that we are going to start tomorrow!! I am super nervous!! I Have never been a runner!

This is the perfect program for making runners out of non-runners! I am at the end of week 6 now, and I never would have thought that I could run for 20+ minutes, but I can! The program has really helped to build my self-confidence. I feel like if I can do this, I can do anything!
  • Allik623
    Options
    Run outside.
    Focus on controlling your breathing.
    Do not focus on speed. At all.

I don't know if I will be able to run outside since it's so cold out!! I do have a gym membership so I think I am going to start on the treadmill. When I make it through the first 9 weeks, maybe the second go round I will do it outside! :)
  • flabulous4
    flabulous4 Posts: 599 Member
    Options
    I don't know if I will be able to run outside since it's so cold out!! I do have a gym membership so I think I am going to start on the treadmill. When I make it through the first 9 weeks, maybe the second go round I will do it outside! :)

I know it's horrible out there (had to use treadmill this morning as roads were icy and did a lovely wheelspin driving to the gym) BUT definitely worth trying outside as well as indoor running. I found when I started that while I could run for 20 minutes or so on the treadmill, when I went outside I could manage about 2 without getting puffed.
    Watch out though, you are likely to get hooked on running! I started C25K in June and have signed up for a 10K in February - madness!
  • shydaisi
    Options
    <snip> I found when I started that while I could run for 20 minutes or so on the treadmill, when I went outside I could manage about 2 without getting puffed.<snip>

I discovered the same thing! I was able to run for 10ish minutes on the treadmill and was barely able to do 2 outside. I think if you completely finish the program indoors and then do it again outdoors when it starts to warm up, you will be fine. I am not sure where you (the OP) live, but don't discount running in the cold. Once I get going, I barely notice! I imagine it will be more difficult to run in the heat than in the cold...
  • jskaggs1971
    jskaggs1971 Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    Congratulations.

Tips? Run slow. Try to run slow. Lots of beginners try to run too fast, and can't maintain their too-fast pace.
    Have a smartphone? Log your runs. Sportypal, MapMyRun, and Endomondo are all great tools.
    Give yourself rest days -- your body needs them as it adjusts to new stresses.

Stretch well after running.

Go get 'em, tigers.