Welcome everyone! Come and introduce yourself!

Options

Replies

• ForeverChasingTheSunsets
    Options
    Great going Ashley! One step at a time and you will reach your goal. :o)
  • Bossit
    Bossit Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    Took me a while to think of searching for an Ottawa group!
    Hi guys,
    I'm Alexis. age 25. Working a desk job 9-5. I like to run and drink beer. Never at the same time, but I've been thinking about it.
    You can learn more about me on my profile. Feel free to add me.
  • escloflowneCHANGED
    escloflowneCHANGED Posts: 3,038 Member
    Options
    Took me a while to think of searching for an Ottawa group!
    Hi guys,
    I'm Alexis. age 25. Working a desk job 9-5. I like to run and drink beer. Never at the same time, but I've been thinking about it.
    You can learn more about me on my profile. Feel free to add me.

We should get drunk and go for a jog sometime lol
  • fortinfitness
    fortinfitness Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Hi,

My name is Michel and I've been using MFP for a while. Just recently started looking into the community.

I'm a copywriter, consultant, marketer, and owner of several online businesses with my beautiful wife, Sylvie Fortin, in Ottawa (East end). I'm originally from Gatineau and moved to Ottawa when I got married.

I have four grown kids all still living at home. They've seen the remarkable transformation I've went through in the last year (having lost close to 100 pounds in all) with a combination of weight training and cardio.

My mom passed away last year of galdbladder cancer. Earlier this year I was diagnosed with gallstones and the beginnings of diabetes, so it gave me pause. Plus, on her deathbed my mom told me I was getting fat. Add that to the fact that my wife is a cancer survivor, too, I decided "enough is enough." I started this journey.

I have a website that tracked/tracks my progress, my journey, at FortinFitness.com if you're interested. I also LOVE myFitnessPal and now the community.

So hello to all you Ottawans and Gatinois(es)!
    Options
    Salut Michel! Nice to meet you. You have quite the success story!
  • fortinfitness
    fortinfitness Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Thank you @sarcasticklic. ;)
  • SSmall101
    SSmall101 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Hello everone

Newbie here have lost 37 lbs before joining mfp hit plateau and my fitness counsellor hooked me up on here. looks great looking forward to seeing more results.
  • markjglover123
    Options
    Hi, I'm Mark. I am married to a wonderful woman that has put up with me for almost 10 years now. We have only been married for a year and a half now. We both have a child from past relationships and we both leave each of them equally. I joined MFP to help me with the BodyByVi Challenge. Currently I am on day 8 of the 90 day challenge and I have lost 8.5lbs...So I am extremely positive. I do know that for weight loss and and fitness, it is always best to have as much support in your corner as you can get. I get tons of support from my wife and kids and with that, I figure I could use much more. So I have turned to this group of like inded people. People who I share similar dreams and goals with!
    Options
    High Five for the progress you have made in such a short time! Keep it going!
  • moecho
    moecho Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hi! I'm Heidi. Born and raised in Ottawa. Loving this community and it's members!! Cheers!!

Oh, if any of you train at SNAP Fitness in the East end, let me know! Looking forward to meeting you all!
    Options
    I got a free one month membership at the Snap Fitness in Rockland.
  • zumaetsunny
    Options
    Hi I am from Aylmer, I just turned 55 and just retired from work, I just joined the MFP today, I am not too familiar with this site, is there a diet suggested or we just eat whatever we want without going over the caloric intake they suggested.

My plan is to do exercise five times a week, hope I will be able to do it.

feel free to add me as a friend,

good luck everyone :smile
  • JasonB613
    Options
    Hey, I've lived in Ottawa for the majority of my life (was also born here). I'm 29 and a married father of 2 children (2 year old son and 2 month old daughter). I joined yesterday to help me keep on track with my diet and fitness goals. After getting some blood work done, I found out that I have high cholesterol. I started P90X and my goal is to drop down to about 150-155 lbs. from 175, and to lower my body fat percentage from 28 to 18. With diabetes, heart disease/strokes being part of my family medical history, it's time to change. I will not become another statistic.
  • ElaineRochelle
    Options
    Hello!

I live in Kingston at the moment but I plan to move back to Ottawa (where I'm from) in the next year. I spent most of my time in the West end of Ottawa. I just joined MFP, and so far I love it. I work for the government in HR, and have an almost 3 year old daughter.

I am still recovering from an injury from working out so there's not much I can do for exercise except bike, so I have to be very strict with calorie counting.
  • miracole
    miracole Posts: 492 Member
    Options
    Hello All!

I'm Mira and apparently one of the very few people who migrated to Ottawa from Western Canada instead of Eastern Canada.

Originally from small town Alberta I came out here for University and never left (my darling Husband may have something to do with that). My 7 years of university led to a rapidly growing behind and a sense of denial about my fitness levels. I'd always done something for exercise, (fencing in undergrad, jiu jitsu throughout law school) but I found my true exercise passion in long distance running, a habit that I've been happily feeding since 2009 (did a brief stint of running in 2006-2007 but then got "the fear" when I twisted my knee).

I lost a fair amount of weight before my wedding in 2010 and then entered wedded bliss which lead to more blinders about eating habits. I realized when I barely made it through my first full marathon in 2011 (fall colours is an evil course by the by) that I had gained back all the weight that I'd lost pre-wedding and then some. After about 14 months of hard work I'm down to right around my high school weight and fairly happy with it, though now I'd like to get into uncharted territory and see if I can't shave a bit more time off my next marathon (I shaved an hour and 37 minutes off my second one in October 2012).

Now you can regularly see me being one of those crazy people who are out running in all kinds of weather. The canal is a few blocks from my office and I love strapping on my running shoes for a quick 5k at lunch (hooray for government employment!) or in the west end on the trans Canada trail with my dog. I am also a pretty common sight at races. I'm usually the one yelling at the spectators that we need more cheering and complimenting other peoples' fun coloured shoes. Anyone else doing Ottawa Race Weekend? I'm marathon bound for that one!

That's my novel- feel free to add me if you'd like!:happy:
  • escloflowneCHANGED
    escloflowneCHANGED Posts: 3,038 Member
    Options
    ^^^ She's cool! add her!!!
  • iamairje
    iamairje Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone,
    My name is Janet. I recently moved to Ottawa this summer with my husband and two teenage kids from Trenton, ON. Both of us are in the military.
    I have had problems with my weight forever which is why I decided to undergo lap-band surgery Dec 19th. So far so good but it's a big learning process.
    I joined MFP because of it's terrific food and exercise tracker. Now that I can exercise I have started figure skating with my daughter and have joined the YMCA. The only problem is I can't seem to get the motivation to go at night so next week I am going to go in the morning before work instead. (Winter is sooo depressing with the dark nights)
    I am 205 pounds now and hope to get down to 140. I walked/ran 2 half marathons in the past and would love to do a full marathon once I get a bit of weight down.
    Ottawa is an awesome city for running!
    Options
    Welcome Janet! I'm also at the YMCA and my only winter motivation is to bring good music with me at the gym. When it's this cold though, I use this cool app on my android phone by Nike called Training Club. It gives you circuit training workouts you can do at home. I am using those until the weather warms up a little.
  • Redkestrel
    Redkestrel Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone!

I decided 3 days ago that this was the place for me! I heard about this website on Pinterest -- of all places! LOL. I can't believe what an amazing site it is! I've done the Weight Watchers Online thing before, and find this site to be far, far superior!

I work at a desk and the "secretarial spread" has been creeping up on me for years. 3 years ago I lost 30 pounds but then stopped. I've kept it off, but decided it was high time to take care of the rest ;)

Glad to have found the Ottawa group!
    Options
    Welcome! :)