Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Fat

servilia
servilia Posts: 3,452 Member
hi guys
This isn't workout related - but I thought you're the best non Broscience bunch to get advice from.

From a body composition perspective, is it hurting my efforts if I'm consistently over on my fat intake? I like cheese and nuts and take a fish oil supplement and several times a week I'm pushing 60-80 grams of fat. My cals are set to 1480. I've opened my diary. I know for weight loss it's just the cals in and out that matter, but I'm looking to tone up a bit more, lose some more fat and some jiggle from my butt lol
I've been slacking on protein I know.. I should make more of an effort on that end (ran out of my protein, husband has to go buy some).

Replies

• adjones5
    adjones5 Posts: 938 Member
    I don't really have a good knowledge base when it comes to this but when I was at my leanest I stuck to under 50 grams of fat a day, but I was netting less than 1200 calories every day so there were definitely some confounding variables involved there. I would say definitely up the protein though.
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,834 Member
    I don't really have a maximum fat amount just a minimum which is .4g/lb of BW. Our bodies require fats for proper hormone functions.

60g is my minimum BTW.

The only thing I have read is that if you are doing stuff like low carb days with high carb/cal refeeds occasionally, you should watch the fat intake on those days being that you will consume over maintenance calories (to replenish glycogen) & there was something about the excess fat intake combined with high carbs meaning that the dietary fat could be stored. Paraphrasing Lyle McDonald from memory here :tongue:

So if you aren't doing that then don't worry :smile:
  • Lift_hard_eat_big
    Lift_hard_eat_big Posts: 2,278 Member
    Acg67 toId me something similar about minimum fat intake on training days and minimum carbs on rest days being beneficiaI, his source was also McDonald
  • Abigailblue39
    Abigailblue39 Posts: 212 Member
    My fat is high on occasion, and I don't mind. I usually try to eat healthy fats such as omega 3, unsaturated fats. Fat is only not used as immediately ready fuel for workouts, such as e.g. carbs. In my experience, it is not the amount of each macro that makes you gain fat, it's the overall cals. Cal in v cal out. Everybody is different though, so I would occasionally check bodyfat if the weight stays the same.
  • tjradd73
    tjradd73 Posts: 3,495 Member
    I found that if you focus on you protein and carbs first, the fat kinda just falls into place (at least close) to where it belongs :)

otherwise...try to stick with lean meats, reduced fat cheeses, and HEALTHY fats like pistachios vs peanuts, olive oil vs veggie oil....and yogurt spread vs margarine :) then if your fat is still a lil high...at least it will be high with better fats :)