Started C25k today...

Options
Where I live, outdoor running is near impossible this time of year (cold doesn't bother me so much as deadly ice and snow lol) so I decided to move away from the elliptical at my gym and tackle the walking/running track. I have always wanted to run but never could. I put c25k on my iphone and away I went. I made it, I got winded, I'm terrified of what is to come in a few short weeks but I'm so proud of myself for trying something that's always frightened me!

I plan on finishing this round, and by then, ice will start to become less of a problem, so I think I'll attempt it outside, as I know that's more challenging.

I'm glad to have found this group. It's nice to have somewhere specific to come for support and I find people on MFP are amongst the most supportive I've met.

Replies

• DoingItNow2012
    DoingItNow2012 Posts: 424 Member
    Options
    I started the day before yesterday, so today will be my second day. I felt so accomplished afterwards. Looking forward to next week to see how I do. It really wasn't that bad though. I've been so terrified that my body wouldn't let me do. I have flat feet and just all around bad feet issues. So I spent the last month conditioning myself and doing specific stregthening exercises to minimize injury and pain. So far, so good.
  • PinkAndSparkle
    Options
    I just started last week, so today was day 1 of week 2! I am really liking it so far, but it's definitely a challenge.
    I am actually sort of surprised because I work out a lot already, but this is way harder than my normal workouts!
  • DoingItNow2012
    Options
    Day 2 week 1 completed
  • charlene_1980
    Options
    I hurt today! My hips, ouch! My back... even my arms lol I realize it's been over a month since I've been to the gym but it frightens me haha Oh well, rest up today, work this afternoon, and hit up day 2 tomorrow :D
  • DoingItNow2012
    Options
    Yeah. I'm walking funny at work, my hips are seriously aching. And I do feel it in my back and shoulders also. Oh and my inner thighs?
  • shydaisi
    shydaisi Posts: 833 Member
    Options
    Great job ladies!!!

One of the things that I wish I had concentrated on from Day 1 is the breathing - steady in, steady out. I didn't start to focus on it until I *had* to somewhere around week three because I was having a hard time getting through the runs. I discovered later that it felt physical because my body was not getting enough oxygen (or too much, depending on my breathing pattern at the moment). Now that I am doing well at the breathing thing, I am slowly breaking through the mental barrier...
  • soccer8s
    soccer8s Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    I"m doing W1D2 tonight...can't wait. I finished the whole program about 10 months ago, but just started it again...this time, I'm not going to stop...dang divorce got it my way...now it's all about getting me back!

I try to run more than walk...for W1D1 instead of doing 90 seconds walking and 60 seconds running, I swapped them....so we'll see what happens tonight! I can't wait to hit the gym.

Yes, I'm doing mine inside as well, but I try to do at least 1 day a week outside for now...it's hard with kids - so at least at the gym I have them in the daycare there....well worth it!
  • DoingItNow2012
    Options
    Question: The program says three times per week, but I also read every other day at some places. If you do every other day, sometimes that will come out to 4 times per week. Soooo, do you think it matters?
  • flabulous4
    flabulous4 Posts: 599 Member
    Options
    Nah, if you feel like doing 3 runs one week and 4 the next, why not? I suppose it depends on whether you are doing other workouts as well and how fit you are generally. When I started C25K I would do Monday Wednesday Friday and then take the weekends off (well, go for a walk with the family). Now I run 4 times a week if I can plus a couple of walks.
  • flabulous4
    flabulous4 Posts: 599 Member
    Options
    I"m doing W1D2 tonight...can't wait. I finished the whole program about 10 months ago, but just started it again...this time, I'm not going to stop...dang divorce got it my way...now it's all about getting me back!

I try to run more than walk...for W1D1 instead of doing 90 seconds walking and 60 seconds running, I swapped them....so we'll see what happens tonight! I can't wait to hit the gym.

Soccer8s, you might be interested in trying what I'm doing - I'm doing C25K again as well, but this time as jog-run instead of walk-jog. I'm not massively fast, but it is making a difference to my treadmill speed (just finished W1 at 10/11kph intervals), and it makes the treadmill a bit more interesting.
  • Annalisa419
    Annalisa419 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    I started last week also. Last night was W2D1, which was doable but still hard. I have to focus on my breathing, otherwise I get that damn distracting side pain. It's hard to stay focused when all I'm staring at is the door in front of my treadmill. I noticed my calves and thighs were sore last week and today, it's mainly my shins. I think I run too much on my tippy toes. I'd like to see how it differs outside but I'm not quite motivated/brave enough for that yet.
  • Poohsta0
    Poohsta0 Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    Question: The program says three times per week, but I also read every other day at some places. If you do every other day, sometimes that will come out to 4 times per week. Soooo, do you think it matters?

I have been doing every other day without issue. Go for it as long as you feel OK.
  • soccer8s
    soccer8s Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    W1D2 done last night and it felt great....thanks for the tips everyone. I am going to try to "walk" even less and make the walk a slower jog...sounds like a good plan. On the treadmill I go from 3.5 to 4.7 for the walk/jog part, but maybe I can switch it to a 4.0 and 4.7 or something....I'll try that tomorrow! I love this program!!!!
  • WWH_AJ
    WWH_AJ Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    I started (again) on Monday too! I'm going to do day 2 when I get home later. I will finish this this time!!
  • DoingItNow2012
    Options
    Ok, so every other day it is, unless my body tells me otherwise.
  • dmmclean
    Options
    Congrats to everyone for getting started or starting again :) I myself started C25k today and I am feeling really good about it. Ive never been a runner so Im excited to see what I capable of. I would love to participate in an official 5k someday. I guess we will see. I am runner now on a treadmill, Its getting cold and icy out. I am curious as to what speeds others use while runner on the treadmill.
    Good luck everyone!! :)
  • charlene_1980
    Options
    Week 1, Day 2 complete. I did it on the treadmill instead of the track today and it let me see my speed easier and keep it steady, which also helped with my breathing. I was walking at 3.6 to start then started walking at 3.8. I was jogging at 5 and then near the end 5.2.

I'm sore but feeling good... I'm proud of myself. Doing this was the last thing I wanted to do this evening after working 3pm-11pm last night and then 7am to 3pm today but I went, I survived, and I can't wait to do it again on Friday =)
  • DoingItNow2012
    Options
    Week 1 day 3 done