Reactions to gluten

Options

Replies

• caroleslaststand
    caroleslaststand Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    Many of these are allergy symptoms rather than celiac symptoms. Of course, there's no reason you can't have both.

Pam

Celiac disease, syndrome, whatever you want to call it - is an autoimmune disorder. Allergies are something else. I guess it's hard to tell the difference -- you might "get over" an allergy, but your inability to digest gluten isn't going away.
  • cutmd
    cutmd Posts: 1,168 Member
    Options
    I'm still not sure if my issue is wheat or gluten, but a gluten-free diet covers it for me:

- WEIGHT GAIN 5+ pounds overnight that takes weeks to go away. I tried some during this pregnancy cause I heard some women lose their allergies while preggo and the overnight weight never came off! :noway:
    - Skin rash/acne especially on my face
    - bloating/constipation
    - extreme fatigue

Everything lasts for weeks. I always forget how bad it is until I get exposed again :frown:
  • angng
    angng Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    I have pretty severe reactions... all the digestive issues, brain fog where I get really angry and over-emotional, and I fall a lot. My joints don't work and I end up on the floor, or I am just so exhausted that I can't go on.

Interesting; I'm like this (the over-emotional and falling) and never thought it could be related to gluten.

My main reaction is diarrhea/bloating/pain, but I also get migraines. My migraines have been reduced significantly since going gluten-free. I had (have?) a seizure disorder and haven't had any seizures either, but I'm also on meds. I think it could be related to my b-12 being so low, but no neurologist will confirm this for me. I want to try starting to wean off meds eventually and see what happens.

I also get itchy/ezcema, but no blisters.

I've actually gained weight since going off gluten because I don't have constant diarrhea. That's the only thing I dislike.
  • angng
    angng Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    Hi! Brand new here!

I am not a diagnosed Celiac, but the GI I saw last year thought I probably was. Unfortuantly (?? Maybe for her, lol) I went gluten free before I could get tested. I simply couldn't go through the pain and frustration of going off the diet to find out for sure!
    I have dealt with arthritis type pain for years. I had a head fog that wouldn't go away, ever. I constantly felt like I was seeing my whole life through a haze that I couldn't even actively participate in. I was extremely fatigued, but was just told I needed to exercise more (hard to do when you're exhausted, and in pain!). Digestive issues up the wazzoo. It was ridiculous. I hated that NO DOCTOR would listen to me! Complain of being tired? Your hair is falling out?? Oh, it must be your thyroid. Nope, that's not it. Sorry, I guess we just don't know!

At any rate, when my oldest was an infant he had a plethora of food allergies/intolerances. He couldn't eat much of anything! I was nursing, so I went Top 8 allergens free, + corn. He finally started doing really well! Then he was tested, she said that gluten and all were fine - he was *just* allergic to dairy and peanuts. I added all those foods back in, and went back to feeling like crap.

He was diagnosed with Autism 2 1/2 years later. A year after that, I decided to try the GF diet with him, to see if it would help. The turn around in the kid was amazing. He went from barely being able to speak, to not ever stopping!! His behaviour improved, he stopped tantruming all the time. And his stools went from green and frothy, to totally normal.

I started the diet too. I had started having monster migraines several times a week. I hurt, everywhere. I couldn't stand it. I was so exhausted, I'd fall asleep standing up.

It's been 3 years, and I've learned SO much. I can make almost anything GF... which is now why I need to lose some weight, lol. Now, if I get glutened, its pretty subtle at first. I guess I'm lucky in that regard. I'll have an ever-loving headache for a few weeks, and the arthritis will come back with a vengenance! I'll get super constipated too. And nauseaus.

My son, though. Turns into a little monster!

I should try taking my son off gluten too. I want it out of my house anyway. It's soooo hard to feed him already (he's on the typical very limited autie diet).
  • pdworkman
    pdworkman Posts: 1,342 Member
    Options
    I've heard from many parents whose self-limiting eaters expand their repertoire and start eating more once on a GFCF diet. Corn and soy can also be problems, so you have to watch that too. Dairy has a hugely negative effect on my son's behaviour.
    I should try taking my son off gluten too. I want it out of my house anyway. It's soooo hard to feed him already (he's on the typical very limited autie diet).
  • shar140
    shar140 Posts: 1,158 Member
    Options
    Finding all of this very interesting. I am in the process of being tested for Celiac disease. INitially the doctors thought it was my thyroid, but it came back normal. I have elevated liver enzymes, itchy skin, very fatigued, and IBS. Since eliminating gluten my belly bloat has gone way down, which is encouraging although I haven't noticed any improvement in my fatigue.

I am curious about those of you who say you are vomiting. I have always thought I was very succeptible to stomach viruses as I am throwing up quite frequently. I never knew it could be a reaction to gluten.

Wow, this is the only one I read that mentioned elevated liver enzymes! I, too, have (had?) this, but never associated it with gluten. My dr kept telling me to stop drinking, but I don't drink all that much to begin with!! I haven't been back to the dr since changing my diet, but now I'm curious if my liver enzymes are back in the "normal" range now. I'd thought that maybe it was due to fructose intolerance, so I've been limiting my intake of fruit (I don't drink any sodas or juices or anything else with added fructose, either). My liver enzymes had been slowly increasing over the past couple of years - my dr checked it every year along with all my other yearly checks.

I came across my gluten intolerance by chance - I started a primal/paleo type diet back in August. I still cheat occasionally, and just in the past couple months discovered that when I did cheat and it included something with wheat/gluten, I'd get IBS symptoms (depends on how much I've eaten, sometimes just a little bloating and diarrhea, other times bad stomach cramps, too). I've always had these symptoms, but never associated it with wheat products. I've also noticed my eczema symptoms have gone away - it comes back when I've ingested a moderate amount or more. What's interesting, last month my sister asked if I had problems with eczema - when I said I did, but I fixed mine by going GF - she said she liked carbs too much to do that!! :noway:

It was also interesting to read about people's change in nails - I've noticed a change there as well, that makes sense now! And the fatigue part also makes sense, now - I was totally wiped out yesterday! (Still recovering from some gravy I had out at dinner on Sunday.)

Glad I have friends here on MFP to help guide me along - I don't know anyone IRL that has a gluten intolerance.
  • Debbiedebbiey
    Debbiedebbiey Posts: 824 Member
    Options
    Bump for my mom to read
  • monicalosesweight
    monicalosesweight Posts: 1,173 Member
    Options
    I don't have Celiac disease (not that I know of) but I have been diagnosed with a severe allergy. The doctor told me to avoid is as I can't really build up an immunity to it. It's too strong.

Anyway, these are my symptoms:

Skin Rash/Hives - the type that don't heal easily and are painful and all over the body
    Headaches/Migraines
    Nasal Congestion
    Tiredness
    Bathroom issues - noticed I seem to be having fewer issues since I gave it up
    Stomach irritation at times

For me, the worst part of my allergy is constantly feeling like I have a cold and developing rashes that won't disappear. They get worse and worse so I finally said no more and now I'm totally gluten free. My sister told me the other day, as I volunteered to help her cut bread, that she said no to me because she was worried I'd try to eat some and she had noticed how different I am now and didn't want me to relapse. Luckily, I don't seem to have a contact allergy - just get the reaction when I ingest it. I did tell her that at this point I wouldn't touch it ever again considering my accidental contact with it about a week ago that made me realize how much it affected me. They can eat it but to me - it's poison.
  • ckitsch81
    ckitsch81 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I have horrible, horrible stomach cramping and bloating within a half an hour of ingesting gluten. I also wind up feeling so lethargic that I wind up having to take a nap.
  • EccentricDad
    EccentricDad Posts: 875 Member
    Options
    I have severe brain fog (ADHD-like), lose my ability to access my depth perception, have acid reflux, bloat, have stomach cramps, and I feel absolutely lethargic.
  • monicalosesweight
    Options
    You know, I have acid reflux but I never really thought of it maybe being connected to my allergy. Hmmm.
  • sirabe
    sirabe Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    I have severe brain fog (ADHD-like), lose my ability to access my depth perception, have acid reflux, bloat, have stomach cramps, and I feel absolutely lethargic.

OMG, I thought I was the only one with depth perception problems when I get glutenated. My husband says I am like a robot who is trying to leave a room and run into the door frame. I fall more often too-balance gets way off

I, too, get severe brain fog, constipation, joint pain oh the joint pain is horrible, severe fatigue, blackouts ( i totally lose track of where and how I get places even I am attempting to concentrate). Oh and the mood swings.
  • MoCrafter
    MoCrafter Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I do not have celiac, but a wheat intolerance. I ate some breaded stuff at a deli yesterday. By the time I got home, I had to take a 2 hour nap. Then went to bed at 10 and slept 9 1/2 hours. This morning, my joints still hurt and I had a nose bleed. I think it is time that I learned I just cannot eat wheat! I am also diabetic. I have not been formally diagnosed, but my doctor thinks I should avoid all wheat. MY daughter has been diagnosed with the wheat intolerance.

I get very tired
    nasal congestion
    headache
    bad joint pain
    nose bleed
    dry eyes and mouth
    If I have a lot, I get very itchy hives.
  • Cheryl_Catrair
    Cheryl_Catrair Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    I have no reactions at all, so in a way, it is worse because I could be having regular gluten exposure and not know.

I would actually hate that! I know I would eat gluten as if I weren't sick! Just out of curiosity though, how did you find out you have it without symptoms. I know if I hadn't gotten sick and went to my GI doc where she tested for celiac, I would just still be sick. What reason did you have for testing?

My symptoms are mostly tummy related. Cramping, vomiting, D. I also get brain fog, dizzy spells and joint pain. There is a supplement that I get at vitamin stores that helps. It's called GlutenEase. It doesn't save our guts from damage if we get glutened but if you accidentally get CC'd, it helps with symptoms.

I'm anxiously awaiting the magic pill that will help us!! LOL

No reactions here either which does cause anxiety because never know if you're being cross contaminated over the long run.
  • jesswait
    jesswait Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    My reaction is not as severe as many, fortunately. I will have digestive troubles for a few days, but no vomiting. My eczema flares up and lasts for a couple of weeks. But the most immediate and unpleasant reaction is the severe fatigue (It's what made me begin the search that lead to discovering the gluten sensitivity), along with irritability and an inability to focus or concentrate well, which lasts for several days or more..

It may not be eczema, it could be dermatitis herpetiformis. (That is the rash on my elbows I get when I eat gluten.)

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmedhealth/PMH0002451/
  • jesswait
    jesswait Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    I get really exhausted and foggy headed, I have trouble concentrating and it's usually accompanied with bloating and diarrhea (usually for several hours at a time.) I also get a skin rash on my elbows that usually lasts for weeks.
  • monicalosesweight
    Options
    http://tucsoncitizen.com/natural-medicine-tips/2012/05/18/autoimmune-disease-and-allergies-immune-system-dysfunction/

This is an interesting article. It's a doctor that explains the difference between autoimmune disorders and allergies. Basically, the one (allergies) is treatable sometimes (unless it's a wheat allergy of mine - doc says it's permanent and untreatable). The difference is that allergies involve your body reacting against external things and people with autoimmune react to their own bodies.

"Now there are three types of substances (called antigens) that have the potential to provoke your specific immune system to make antibodies against them. There are soluble antigens (these come from your diet and your environment), insoluble antigens (these come from microbes and pathogens), and self antigens (these come from your own cells)."

The people with autoimmune disorders are reacting to insoluble antigens while we with allergies are reacting to soluble antigens. It's actually pretty interesting.

I do think that people run the range on both these. For some, allergies can kill; in essence, it depends on the gravity of the problem the person is experiencing. I unfortunately fall under the later - it won't kill but it will make my life hell and super unpleasant.

Monica
  • shar140
    shar140 Posts: 1,158 Member
    Options
    You know, I have acid reflux but I never really thought of it maybe being connected to my allergy. Hmmm.

I stopped taking medicine for it after 7 years of Protonic/Aciphex/Prilosec, after I stopped eating gluten. And the eczema/whatever skin rash on my elbows and knees hasn't re-appeared unless I cheat. Brain fog, headaches, fatigue, stomach issues, nausea when the stomach cramps are really bad, joint pain. Stuffy nose. Last winter I was getting colds once a month - after I few months, I finally realized it was after ingesting gluten during PMS-cravings. Symptoms seem to vary based on source and amount ingested (but I try to avoid it as much as I can).

I haven't been tested, but I don't see a point in paying for a test when avoiding gluten is the only thing I can do. And I don't want to go back to eating it to get tested! But, people (mostly family) just think I'm making it up/following a fad diet. :grumble:
  • monicalosesweight
    Options
    It's interesting how a small amount can affect you. I've noticed recently, now that I've stopped eating gluten, that any accidental (even small) dose of wheat causes my stomach to get irritated. All it takes is eating out and having something marinated that I thought was gluten free. Weird.

Monica
  • pdworkman
    pdworkman Posts: 1,342 Member
    Options
    While your body is overloaded with gluten - eating it every day - then your body is at war all the time, trying to fight something that really shouldn't be dangerous to it. The reaction is dampened because there are only so many soldiers to fight the invaders. Once your body starts to heal, then the soldiers are having a good time on leave, and when they get called back in to fight, they are much stronger, very targeted, and they're gonna blast the heck out of the invaders (except unfortunately, this being an autoimmune disease, the soldiers don't just fight the gluten, they fight your body.)

My kiddo had strep throat all the time before he went gluten free. We'd just get him through one bout, and he'd have it again a few weeks later. Since going gluten free four years ago, he hasn't had strep throat one time. Does that mean that gluten causes strep? Absolutely not, but his body's defenses were so completely swamped with fighting gluten that they couldn't fight viruses or infections. Another example would be my celiac grandmother, who had every single childhood disease you can think of, as well as TB. She had no immunity to anything.