what is your actual maintenance calorie number?

Options
MJ7910
MJ7910 Posts: 1,280 Member
what is your actual calories for maintenance and then list your stats - height, weight, activity level (exercise how many times a week for how long). just wondering if mfp is accurate or othere sites are more accurate.

Replies

• kerrbear79
    kerrbear79 Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    According to MFP it was 1440. Then I used a Bodymedia Fit for a month and figured out it actually is 1700. Both are before excercise calories are added. I'm 5 feet even, 112 lbs. The 1440 mfp gave me was set for sedentary since I have a desk job.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    MFP says my maintenance is 1600, but i actually net about 2000 - 2100.
  • keiraev
    keiraev Posts: 695 Member
    Options
    1670 NET but I have it set to 1600.

Height - 5ft 3.5
    CW - 119
    Lightly Active

I think the number they have given me is about right as I lose on 1500 and gain if I eat over 1650/1700 (weekly average). Personally I don't think it's ever set in stone!
  • MJ7910
    Options
    1670 NET but I have it set to 1600.

Height - 5ft 3.5
    CW - 119
    Lightly Active

I think the number they have given me is about right as I lose on 1500 and gain if I eat over 1650/1700 (weekly average). Personally I don't think it's ever set in stone!

we sound so similar. i am at about 1550-1600 now, waiting to see what happens this week. wanted to lose just a few more but know that i need to only lose 1/2 lb per week. once i hit my goal weight, was thinking 1650 is about right... not sure though.
  • driaxx
    driaxx Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    According to MFP it was 1440. Then I used a Bodymedia Fit for a month and figured out it actually is 1700. Both are before excercise calories are added. I'm 5 feet even, 112 lbs. The 1440 mfp gave me was set for sedentary since I have a desk job.

I have a question, how's the 1,700 been working for you, have you been doing it for a while? My maintenance calories from MFP are 1,430 when set on sedentary and I thought 1,700 would make me gain! Especially because after exercise I'd be eating 2,000. If I can increase that'd be great.

Oh + to answer the OP I'm 5"2 & 92.5lb
  • beaner1st
    beaner1st Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    I am 5'2" and 115 pounds. I think your age makes a difference also since our metabolism slows down. MFP says 1440 at sedentary and I think it is about right. When I go over I gain. I exercise to eat.
  • kerrbear79
    kerrbear79 Posts: 229 Member
    Options

I have a question, how's the 1,700 been working for you, have you been doing it for a while? My maintenance calories from MFP are 1,430 when set on sedentary and I thought 1,700 would make me gain! Especially because after exercise I'd be eating 2,000. If I can increase that'd be great.

Oh + to answer the OP I'm 5"2 & 92.5lb

Funny you ask that because I have actually gained 2 lbs recently. I had been doing the 1700 for 2 months maybe. However I think it might be due to too much cheating on the weekends. This past month or so I had not been logging on weekends and going a little over board. So I think that has caught up to me. Or it very well could be the 1700 not being accurate that the bodymediafit gave me. So I am back to 1200 this week to lose the 2 lbs, then will start back with the 1700 and keep logging on weekends. After that I guess I will know for sure. Also everyone's metabolism is different so even if 1700 works for one person it might make someone else gain. It's all trial and error unfortunately.
  • mpf1
    mpf1 Posts: 1,437 Member
    Options
    I am finding that I gained a few lbs on maintenance cals, so I set it for loss of 0.5 lbs per week. I do go over more often, but I am trying to be consistent.
  • agthorn
    agthorn Posts: 1,844 Member
    Options
    I'm still playing around with finding my maintenance level. MFP originally gave me 1630 net. I tried that for two months, lost maybe a pound. Bumped it up to 1770 for the next two months, no change. So I just increased it to 1890 and will try that for another two months to see what happens (I just increase my activity level settings...I've been told that there are very few people who are truly sedentary by this site's definition).

According to another site that calculates BMR according to your lean body mass, my BMR is 1381...but MFP calculates it as 1308. So that's probably some of the discrepancy.
  • bitterbrownie
    Options
    my BMR differs depending on where i calculate it, ranging from 1200 - 1700 :/

MFP gave me roughly 1590 i think, but at the moment i have it set to 1500 and am monitoring it. i was losing roughly 0.5Ibs a week but then xmas came so that's mucked up my measurements so i will check again this week and next week and then decide whether to increase.

i would like to increase but am wary of gaining :(

i think maintenance is very hard to gauge - congrats to those that have done haha
  • CoryIda
    CoryIda Posts: 7,887 Member
    Options
    I'm a 5'10" woman who weighs 168-170 pounds (that's my normal range) and I'm 27 years old.

MFP has my maintenance calories set at 2130 calories/day for lightly active/
    I don't reach that most days (I typically consume between 1800-2000 calories) and I'm maintaining, but I'm probably more sedentary than "lightly active" so that's about right.
  • Robin1117
    Robin1117 Posts: 1,768 Member
    Options
    I'm about 5'6", maintaining at a range of 119-121.

Even after over a year and a half of maintaining, I'm still trying to up my base, but have landed somewhere between 1550 and 1600 for awhile, eating all my exercise calories (probably between 350-400/day). I think I manually plugged in this number, but it's somewhere between sedentary and lightly active on MFP's maintenance calorie level for my stats.

I have been over quite a bit because of the holidays lately and haven't weighed for awhile but when I finally do, I may find I can up the calorie level a bit ...hope so!
  • JoMFrasca
    JoMFrasca Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    I am also 5'6" and weigh 128 and want to maintain 130-135. My daily calorie goal is around 1540 and I generally do not eat back my exercise calories. I may have to adjust this since I tend to have days below that and if that happens, I still lose weight. My sense is that if I keep up my present exercise regime, which includes quite a bit of strength training, I may have to go up to 1600-1700 to stop further weight loss. I still do not have this completely figured out yet as I have been in Maintenance mode only a few months now.
  • stuffinmuffin
    stuffinmuffin Posts: 985 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'3" and my maintenance range is 109-112. I usually work to weekly net cals rather than daily ones and my cals are set to 1610 which seems to be okay at the moment. I ended up losing a couple of pounds in maintenance when I began.
  • Renkow
    Renkow Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Usually I find the recommendation to be about 300 calories more than what works for me to maintain my weight. If I am walking 4 miles a day for a minimum of 5 days a week (1 hour a day), I find I can consume 1400 calories. In order to lose weight, my number is 900 calories. I am 5'2" tall and my ideal happy weight is 110 pounds. I am carrying an additional 51/2 pounds of what I call emotional weight right now. Ideally I prefer my range to be 110-114 tops. No matter how active I am I have a slow metabolism. In order to eat more normally, I must exercise daily.
  • MJ7910
    Options
    Usually I find the recommendation to be about 300 calories more than what works for me to maintain my weight. If I am walking 4 miles a day for a minimum of 5 days a week (1 hour a day), I find I can consume 1400 calories. In order to lose weight, my number is 900 calories. I am 5'2" tall and my ideal happy weight is 110 pounds. I am carrying an additional 51/2 pounds of what I call emotional weight right now. Ideally I prefer my range to be 110-114 tops. No matter how active I am I have a slow metabolism. In order to eat more normally, I must exercise daily.

question about this, what is MFP saying your calories shoudl be to maintain? are you staying you are sedentery, lightly active, etc? i use sedentery because i work a desk job and it says 1590. just wondered.
  • Kim55555
    Kim55555 Posts: 987 Member
    Options
    I think your age makes a difference also since our metabolism slows down.

Not if you exercise it doesn!!
  • Kim55555
    Kim55555 Posts: 987 Member
    Options
    I'm 5 2, atm weight 136 lbs (62 kg) I want to lose a few more kgs. Perhaps get to around 58 - 60 Kg. I dunno yet.

I can maintain my weight eating in the range of 2000-2600

I am very active. Excericse intensely, play lots of sport too. I also do lots of incidental exercise which includes things like lunchtime walking and commuting to work by bike.

I am losing centimetres eating around 2000 gross calories. I burn anywhere between 300 - 600 calories per day.
  • The_Finja
    The_Finja Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I have been struggling with this too, i'm trying out 2500 calories but i don't eat back my calories. I'm 5' 10 and currently am 172. I'm tyring it out for a week and will see what happens.
  • Oishii
    Oishii Posts: 2,675 Member
    Options
    My maintenance calories are somewhere between 2000-2450 NET. Mfp thought that my maintenance would be 1900 if I was a bicycle courier, but I lose at that and I'm just a teacher!

I probably mislog a lot for the stats to be like that, but I guess I'm mislogging pretty consistently or I'd be gaining.

I was at goal but gained weight through an unfortunately short pregnancy. I seem to be losing gradually now, just by staying a few 100 in the green each day.

I walk to and from work, and I log that, but the rest is incidental... Right now it must mainly be coughing!

I'm 5'5", about 125lb.