Euthanasia

Options
ninerbuff
ninerbuff Posts: 48,709 Member
I totally believe in it if someone is terminally ill.

A.C.E. Certified Personal Trainer
IDEA Fitness member
Kickboxing Certified Instructor
Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

Replies

• atsteele
    atsteele Posts: 1,358 Member
    Options
    I totally believe in it if someone is terminally ill.

IDEA Fitness member

I'm glad that I'm not your grandmother. ;)
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    I believe they should not spend so much time playing video games.
  • BrettPGH
    BrettPGH Posts: 4,720 Member
    Options
    I believe in it if the cable goes out for too long.

Seriously no one has the right to tell me what to do with me, provided I am not harming others. I think people have a lot of nerve to look at a person suffering, with zero quality of life, a person who is pleading to be allowed to end their misery, and say "No! You have to stay alive in constant torture!" They have no right.
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    They have DNR in hospitals and that's okay with the law and even family, but euthanasia isn't.

IDEA Fitness member
  • lovejoydavid
    lovejoydavid Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    You are going to have to define your terms. Euthanasia is the process of killing someone, ie, someone else has to commit the act. This can be voluntary (say, a quadraplegic who asks for it, but cannot participate), non-voluntary (someone without capacity to decide one way or the other), or involuntary (they are actively not on board). This is all different from physician assisted suicide, which is actually legal in my state and a few surrounding ones. I do a great deal of hospice, end-of-life care, so I do have a few opinions on the matter.
  • BrettPGH
    BrettPGH Posts: 4,720 Member
    Options
    You are going to have to define your terms. Euthanasia is the process of killing someone, ie, someone else has to commit the act. This can be voluntary (say, a quadraplegic who asks for it, but cannot participate), non-voluntary (someone without capacity to decide one way or the other), or involuntary (they are actively not on board). This is all different from physician assisted suicide, which is actually legal in my state and a few surrounding ones. I do a great deal of hospice, end-of-life care, so I do have a few opinions on the matter.

Well if it's involuntary isn't that just murder? Don't get me wrong here, I'm not supporting killing those who want to live. That's rather rude.

But I support assisted suicide of both the voluntary and non-voluntary variety.
  • mikajoanow
    mikajoanow Posts: 584 Member
    Options
    Thank you for saying that. This is in fact different than assisted suicide.

For now, I will fight for assisted suicide, death with dignity, for all Americans the way it is in the (great) state of Oregon. (my state)
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    Assisted. If terminally ill and wanting to be out of pain and suffering, there shouldn't be a law against it.

b]A.C.E. Certified Personal Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition[/b]
  • lovejoydavid
    Options

Well if it's involuntary isn't that just murder? Don't get me wrong here, I'm not supporting killing those who want to live. That's rather rude.

But I support assisted suicide of both the voluntary and non-voluntary variety.

No no, absolutely, that is "euthanasia" of the "I think I know better than you do how you should die" variety. And, it is almost always murder in that form.
  • lovejoydavid
    Options
    Assisted. If terminally ill and wanting to be out of pain and suffering, there shouldn't be a law against it.

b]A.C.E. Certified Personal Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition[/b]
    Ah, well, you will not find me arguing against that. I, personally, would balk at providing the drugs, but then, I have no problem at all medicating a terminally ill cancer patient with huge doses of morphine, knowing full well that this degree of comfort with hasten their death.
  • futiledevices
    futiledevices Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    The way they're doing it in Oregon is perfect. why should someone have to suffer when they KNOW they're going to die? Let them die pain free.. and nobody is KILLING them. They do it on their own and acknowledge exactly what will happen when they drink the mixture or take the pills. I wish it were legal here.
  • daffodilsoup
    daffodilsoup Posts: 1,972 Member
    Options
    I think it's very important for people to have living wills, because then not only does the person dictate EXACTLY what they want to happen, but it also takes a lot of stress off of the surviving family. My parents both have living wills, and yes it was awkward to discuss it with them, but very important, because they both want different things - my mother would prefer to die with dignity, while my father wants to be kept alive for as long as possible in a vegetative state.

If we are talking about assisted suicide in the case of terminally ill patients, etc., I don't think it should be anyone's choice but their own - I am pro-choice in all matters concerning our own bodies. I always hear about people saying how difficult it would be to do that to a parent or loved one, and it would be, but I would rather die with dignity than waste away in a hospital bed.
  • suzycreamcheese
    suzycreamcheese Posts: 1,766 Member
    Options
    as long as noone feels pressurised into it, then i think its fine. Should be tight laws but not illegal.

Id hope if i was in a vegetative state or in a world of pain long term, someone would be kind enough to do it for me.
  • Lozze
    Lozze Posts: 1,917 Member
    Options
    All for it. If the person has a way to communicate they don't want it then of course it shouldn't happen. That's murder.

But in the case of Terri Schivao I thought what happened was 100% the right thing to do. I would hate to live like that.
  • Lozze
    Lozze Posts: 1,917 Member
    Options
    All for it. If the person has a way to communicate they don't want it then of course it shouldn't happen. That's murder.

But in the case of Terri Schivao I thought what happened was 100% the right thing to do. I would hate to live like that.
  • mvilla2426
    Options
    Towards the end of my Mom's life we signed a DNR when we put her in Hospice. Yes I know that is different than Euthanizing, but the DNR example was brought up.

My Mom first became ill when I was a baby, and died when I was 30. By the time she died, she had several strokes, several heart attacks, fibromyalgia, neuropathy, she was incontinent (and wearing diapers), was on oxygen, had a feeding tube, couldn't talk (except by blinking) had a leg amputation due to MRSA, and basically... her body wasn't working. Her mind was, but her body... no. And she had a mystery illness. It wasn't leprosy, but it made her body (at least part of it) sort of decompose. She had rotting flesh.

Certainly that is no way for ANYONE to live. I'm glad my Mom has died now-- that may seem cruel to some of you, but you guys weren't there when Mom was going through all of this. There was no cure for her. But now she is no longer suffering. Had the option come up to end her life a little sooner-- I would have gotten the blink from her saying okay, and Dad and I probably would have done it.
  • mikajoanow
    mikajoanow Posts: 584 Member
    Options
    Towards the end of my Mom's life we signed a DNR when we put her in Hospice. Yes I know that is different than Euthanizing, but the DNR example was brought up.

My Mom first became ill when I was a baby, and died when I was 30. By the time she died, she had several strokes, several heart attacks, fibromyalgia, neuropathy, she was incontinent (and wearing diapers), was on oxygen, had a feeding tube, couldn't talk (except by blinking) had a leg amputation due to MRSA, and basically... her body wasn't working. Her mind was, but her body... no. And she had a mystery illness. It wasn't leprosy, but it made her body (at least part of it) sort of decompose. She had rotting flesh.

Certainly that is no way for ANYONE to live. I'm glad my Mom has died now-- that may seem cruel to some of you, but you guys weren't there when Mom was going through all of this. There was no cure for her. But now she is no longer suffering. Had the option come up to end her life a little sooner-- I would have gotten the blink from her saying okay, and Dad and I probably would have done it.

I hope my family would do the same.
  • lovejoydavid
    Options
    I think it's very important for people to have living wills, because then not only does the person dictate EXACTLY what they want to happen, but it also takes a lot of stress off of the surviving family. My parents both have living wills, and yes it was awkward to discuss it with them, but very important, because they both want different things - my mother would prefer to die with dignity, while my father wants to be kept alive for as long as possible in a vegetative state.

If we are talking about assisted suicide in the case of terminally ill patients, etc., I don't think it should be anyone's choice but their own - I am pro-choice in all matters concerning our own bodies. I always hear about people saying how difficult it would be to do that to a parent or loved one, and it would be, but I would rather die with dignity than waste away in a hospital bed.

A clear Do Not Transport order can be a great help, as well. Once in the hospital, it can take forever to suss out the living will, etc, and it is just best not to end up there.
  • macpatti
    macpatti Posts: 4,280 Member
    Options
    I would never assist in ending someone's life. I would hope my family would never do this to me, even if I'm in a complete state of depression and have lost all will to fight. I am pro-life from the moment of conception to natural death.
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    I would never assist in ending someone's life. I would hope my family would never do this to me, even if I'm in a complete state of depression and have lost all will to fight. I am pro-life from the moment of conception to natural death.
    So you wouldn't mind paying for high hospital bills for a family member terminally ill and in a coma with no chance of recovery? Even it if financially put you and your family in debt for the rest of your life? And would that person you're doing it for ask you to do that?
    I think that sometimes religion gets in that way of actual logical thinking when it comes to matters like this. Think about it in these terms. If the god you worshiped wanted them to live, then hospitalization and medical attention wouldn't be needed.

IDEA Fitness member