Flexitarians: Newest Diet Fad or Sensible Lifestyle?

Options
ogosun
ogosun Posts: 175 Member
I would think more of a sensible lifestyle. More money in you pocket, more healthier approach. I feel eating more Veg's and fruits steers you away from steriod pumped up meats and sugary cookies. Once in awhile an organic meat or fish , egg is ok..... I would vote sensible... good choice to be....

Replies

• econut2000
    econut2000 Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    Sensible! We evolved as hunter/gatherers. At no point did we only eat plant matter so why should we start now? Of course, on the flip side, we never ate nearly as much meat as we do today! This way of eating is better for our health and for the environment! I would argue that vegetarianism/veganism or the American way of eating meat for every meal is truly the fad!
  • ogosun
    Options
    Its funny because if its just a fad why do people for example that live in Kenya eat mainly corn, maize, potatoes, and beans since the beginning of time. They do eat meat but not often. There is not one person in Kenya who is overweight. They are all super tall and slim and pretty healthy. Must be the food source. Just "saying". Wouldn't that be awesome if all of us overweight people could move to Kenya to lose weight and be healthy. Just a thought...
  • blooming_soul
    blooming_soul Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Sensible lifestyle!! I just started eating less meat one month ago and i have already noticed the changes in my body! I have also severly cut down on my white sugar/flour, coffee and dairy intake as well and I have more energy, my skin has cleared up, I've lost 5lbs, my eyes are brighter and I'm generally happier!!! it's truly amazing what a vegetable based diet can do for your health.

I suggest watching the movie "Forks Over Knives". It's about how you can prevent and even reverse severe chronic ailments such as obesity, diabetes, heart disease, high blood pressure and even cancer by having a mostly vegetable based diet....all backed up by scientific research and over 20+ years of studies by doctors!!! Most people were on a lot of medication and some were diagnosed with a terminal illness and have stopped taking all their medication and are happy & healthy!! TRULY AMAZING and so simple!!!
  • ogosun
    Options
    Sensible lifestyle!! I just started eating less meat one month ago and i have already noticed the changes in my body! I have also severly cut down on my white sugar/flour, coffee and dairy intake as well and I have more energy, my skin has cleared up, I've lost 5lbs, my eyes are brighter and I'm generally happier!!! it's truly amazing what a vegetable based diet can do for your health.

I suggest watching the movie "Forks Over Knives". It's about how you can prevent and even reverse severe chronic ailments such as obesity, diabetes, heart disease, high blood pressure and even cancer by having a mostly vegetable based diet....all backed up by scientific research and over 20+ years of studies by doctors!!! Most people were on a lot of medication and some were diagnosed with a terminal illness and have stopped taking all their medication and are happy & healthy!! TRULY AMAZING and so simple!!!

wow that is amazing about the chronic ailments for sure... i will have to watch that movie... thanks for your great input...
  • econut2000
    econut2000 Posts: 395 Member
    Options

I too will be checking out this movie. I haven't noticed the changes you have yet but I am certainly hoping to! My fiance does the majority of cooking in the house and he is a carnivore (notice I didn't say omnivore!). He eats nothing but meat. I have never been a big fan of meat, although I crave it on occasion. So I recently told him I HAVE to cut some meat out of my diet. I am hoping this helps and I see the results you have.
    As an environmental scientist I know the environmental harm of commercial farming practices. So for both my own health and because I should be practicing what I preach, I need to stick to this.....now to get my fiance on board! lol
  • Shanna_Inc86
    Shanna_Inc86 Posts: 781 Member
    Options
    Didn't realize there was a name to how I've been eating :laugh:

I watched Food Inc a few month's back, mid-October to be exact.
    I can't eat factory farmed meat anymore, it disgusts me

I'll eat venison when I can get some from friends, organic meat when I can afford it (which is RARE) and tuna...which is becoming less and less because I just don't like it all that much. Around my period I crave meat more but otherwise, I primarily go without. I haven't liked hamburger for years...sometimes miss turkey burger, but I won't even eat Jennie-O. And my inner fat kid does want bacon now and again.

For my birthday, I am going to go buy some organic meat and prepare an AWESOME breakfast for myself complete with organic eggs, organic bacon and buckwheat pancakes...:laugh:
  • ogosun
    Options
    Didn't realize there was a name to how I've been eating :laugh:

I watched Food Inc a few month's back, mid-October to be exact.
    I can't eat factory farmed meat anymore, it disgusts me

I'll eat venison when I can get some from friends, organic meat when I can afford it (which is RARE) and tuna...which is becoming less and less because I just don't like it all that much. Around my period I crave meat more but otherwise, I primarily go without. I haven't liked hamburger for years...sometimes miss turkey burger, but I won't even eat Jennie-O. And my inner fat kid does want bacon now and again.

For my birthday, I am going to go buy some organic meat and prepare an AWESOME breakfast for myself complete with organic eggs, organic bacon and buckwheat pancakes...:laugh:

i watched that food inc as well.. and i was totally grosed out as well...... good for you about changing your eating habits as well.. I really can't stand hamburgers neither... I can't even watch a person eating them, i want to barf.... Organic is awesome... and yes pricey but you buy when you can and only have a little. That is what i do. Good to have you on board as a "flexitarian". Sounds kinda alienish doesn't it... lol....
  • LibertyAnn
    LibertyAnn Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I have only recently heard about flexitarianism. I lean more towards a vegetarian & organic lifestyle, but love the newly coined phrase for being flexible and intelligent with the foods you put into your body :)
  • EndofEternity
    Options
    Definitely sensible considering I had never heard of the concept of flexitarian. I've been calling myself a part-time vegetarian for a while now and was hoping that it wasn't an absurd label. I just think it's a balanced and nutritional diet plan. If you have some moral reservations about animals but just love the taste of certain meats too much like I myself do, it's also a good thing to embrace. I like the taste of meat so I'm going to eat less of it. If more people became flexitarians there would be more meat to go around, meat would be less likely to be processed with chemicals, and animals could be treated more humanely. Seems sensible to me.