Hi all:)

Options
I'd joined a week or so, but hadn't had the chance to say a quick hello to everyone here. I am in process to get (probably) the RNY during the first quarter of 2012. I am in Southern California, and am with Kaiser Permanente, which has a pretty extensive in-house classes/tests/labs which I have finished. I have met with the Bariatrician, and was informed that I'm low-risk for surgery (ya!), and next up will be my Mental Health appointment on 1/9/12. After that, I should meet with the surgeon. If I remember correctly, at that point, they will set me up with a surgery date. Right now, it's taking a while, since there are only 2 surgeons for the facility (and with the amount of people they have going through classes, they are busy!).
That said, I'm excited. I was, at highest weight, approximately 371. I am now 346 lbs. I was informed that I was pre-diabetic, which is why I think I am leaning towards the RNY rather than the sleeve, but I want to speak with the surgeon about it before making the final decision. I see good and bad points to both, and up till being told that, I was leaning towards the sleeve. But, again, I'll see what the surgeon says.

But, hello everyone!:bigsmile:

Replies

• GrammyDiane
    Options
    Welcome to the WLS forum! Sounds like you are well on your way to a healthier life. The decision of which surgery to have is a big one and it is good that you are waiting to get your surgeon's input before making the final decision. Since you are pre-diabetic, I would think the RNY might be your best choice since from what I understand, that method virtually eliminates the diabetes. Either way, I congratulate you on making the decision to take hold of your health and making the changes you need to make. You'll get great support on here and answers to your questions from people who have followed a similar path. Best of luck in your journey!! :smile:

Diane
  • risskie
    risskie Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    Hello, and welcome to our growing group. Glad to have you, your thoughts, your experiences and your questions. I joined MFP in Sept with the hopes of losing 30lbs so I could get the bypass. Never thought I could do it. I have lost 41lbs since 9/16 and my surgery is 1/16. You are right to question your surgeon, the nurses and get advice from family/friends to make your decision. I knew from the beginning that I wanted the bypass, but I still asked lots of questions and got lots of advice. Nothing has changed. I don't doubt my decision. Keep focused on your food plan and get that exercise in there until you know exactly what you want to do. Good luck.
  • skatermom503
    Options
    Hello and welcome. I had my RNY in October of this year. It took me 4 months from first appointment to surgery but my surgeon works with a clinic that does a lot of the pre-op testing so you can get through pretty quickly. I had to have some extra tests before I had my surgery but everything went well and your surgery will too. Just ask your surgeon lots of questions and remember there are some that just can't be answered by someone who hasn't actually had the surgery. That is why MFP is going to be invaluable for you. There is such a wealth of support and advice here and people that truly care about your success. I tend to be negative and have had problems eating but my friends here have helped me thru it every step of the way. I started at 395 last June and am now 293 (down 43 since surgery). You will do great. You have almost jumped thru all the hoops. Good for you. Best of luck.
  • sorchagriannon
    Options
    Thanks everyone. Yeah, I am almost there, yay! I tend to analyse everything, so I did a lot of research before deciding to ask if it was a covered benefit. I wish I had earlier:)
    I'll definitely check in here often!
  • sorchagriannon
    Options
    Just an update:

I have been cleared by the bariatrician and the mental health worker. So, what that means is within a couple weeks, I will get a call from the surgeon's office setting up the appointment with him (it's one of 2 surgeons). From there, it will be another couple weeks (I hope) till the actual appointment. When I see the surgeon, I should get my surgery date then and there.

YAY!