need feedback and support

Options
amysj303
amysj303 Posts: 5,086 Member
I would like to talk to others who are doing this plan, I just wonder how I compare, I guess. I would like to know what weight others are lifting and how they progress-like upping the weight by how much every week?
I am feeling discouraged, I think, because some weeks I up the weight but some weeks I don't.
I am 5'4" and 112 pounds. I am on the last day of Phase 1. For instance, yesterday was legs for me.
Barbell squat- 40 lbs
Walking lunge-20 lbs
single leg barbell deadlift-10 lb kettlebell

The rest I cannot remember well, enough, I wrote it down but I left it in the car. Depending on which gym I go to, sometimes there is not standing calf raises machine so I use the leg press.

Replies

• karinefitness
    karinefitness Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    I would like to talk to others who are doing this plan, I just wonder how I compare, I guess. I would like to know what weight others are lifting and how they progress-like upping the weight by how much every week?
    I am feeling discouraged, I think, because some weeks I up the weight but some weeks I don't.
    I am 5'4" and 112 pounds. I am on the last day of Phase 1. For instance, yesterday was legs for me.
    Barbell squat- 40 lbs
    Walking lunge-20 lbs
    single leg barbell deadlift-10 lb kettlebell

The rest I cannot remember well, enough, I wrote it down but I left it in the car. Depending on which gym I go to, sometimes there is not standing calf raises machine so I use the leg press.

We are almost the same size. I am 5'5 and 115 pounds.

For the exercices you mentionned, here are the weights I used for my last workout:

BB Squat 85x10, 75x10, 65x10
    Walking lunge 30 lbs barbell for all three sets (and those KILL me, I hate them)
    Single leg deadlift: 25 kettlebell for three sets.

As for everything else it goes from 7.5 lbs (seated bent over delt, for example) to 180lbs (standing calf raise), so I don't really remember everything, but it's in a log on the computer somewhere! I was lifting for about 4-5 months prior to starting the program.

The most important thing is to challenge yourself. Some days I cannot lift as heavy as others and I just do the best I can on that particular day. I try to up the weight every week, but for some exercices it's impossible (hello, walking lunges!) and for others it's fairly easy (wide lat pulldown). As long as you are doing YOUR best, you'll see results. It can be discouraging sometimes, but keep going!
  • amysj303
    Options
    Thanks! you are strong!
    Do you use the Smith machine for the squats? I think I could squat more weight but I can't lift it to my shoulders.
  • jawolfe
    jawolfe Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Thanks so much for the invite! Today I just finished my last workout of week 3 (Phase 1) which was legs. Rest is scheduled for the next 2 days. I haven't been writing down the weights I've been using, I just remember it from day to day. I'll start writing it down so that I can write it here. I'm 5'6" and 133-135 lb, trying to get down to 130lb, although seeing the 120's would make me very happy.

Here's what I recall from my leg workout today:
    leg ext 15lb - each leg individually, not together
    wide squat on smith machine - 20lb, 10lb, 10lb (not sure what the bar weighs alone)
    walking lunge - empty barbell (not sure how much it weighs, although just asked my husband and his guess is 25lb); used more weight on the 1st leg exercise this week but had to go down b/c I'm still so sore from the other day
    single leg deadlift - 20lb (2x 10lb dumbbells)
    lying leg curls - 35 or 40lb weak, i know!
    seated calf raise - we don't have this machine so i do calf raises on the leg press at 110lb
    standing calf raise - don't' have this machine either so i hold a 10 lb dumbbell and stand on one leg

Thanks again for the invite, excited to have someone to chat with about this. I'll write more later when I have time! Jennifer
  • amysj303
    Options
    lying leg curls - 35 or 40lb weak, i know!
    seated calf raise - we don't have this machine so i do calf raises on the leg press at 110lb
    standing calf raise - don't' have this machine either so i hold a 10 lb dumbbell and stand on one leg

Thanks again for the invite, excited to have someone to chat with about this. I'll write more later when I have time! Jennifer
    Thanks for joining us over here and my weights are the same for the leg curl. I do it seated, though, because I was really sore after the laying one, I was afraid I injured my hamstring and my husband said I should use the seated one, because he injured his hamstring on the laying one-according to him it is un-natural movement for the hamstring, but I don't know if his physcial therapist said that or what...
  • jawolfe
    Options
    what kind of results have you ladies seen so far?? I'm only 3 wks in and I definitely see some change in my biceps and my back. I have to admit that I have NOT been eating clean. I have 2.5 wks off and my husband and I are taking advantage of the holiday season eating out every night and having wine (and yes, I'll admit it, egg nog, fully leaded!). But I don't typically eat this way. I'm looking forward to being back to my normal cleaner eating after the holidays and then really seeing the fat around my belly coming off. I tried Jamie's recipe for the turkey muffins yesterday so I'll let you know how they are!
  • karinefitness
    Options
    Thanks! you are strong!
    Do you use the Smith machine for the squats? I think I could squat more weight but I can't lift it to my shoulders.

I use the squat rack, I wouldn't be able to lift 85 pounds over my shoulders without risking a major injury!

I try not the use the Smith machine, I don't know how much that bar weights... I once tried it and it seemed lighter, so I doubt it's 45 pounds... anyone knows?
  • amysj303
    Options
    Today is the end of phase 1 so I am going to take some pictures and I will let you know about whether I see results. I think my arms might be a little better
    My diet hasn't been great lately, either, but I am hoping after the holidays to really try and be compliant most of the time with the approved foods list!
    I liked the pumpkin protein bars, I think I will make them again.
    I made the meatloaf with variations, I made three into little meatloaves for DH and I, I wrapped each one in a strip of bacon, not approved, but it's only 40 calories and really makes the flavor. Then I made some into meatballs and did that with whole wheat penne and marinara sauce, which was pretty good.
    Other meals I have done are stir fry with london broil or chicken or shrimp and with any of the lean protein with fajita veggies.
    I also usually make a crustless quiche to have a piece for breakfast. I have made it with mushrooms and lean ham and also with roasted sweet peppers.
    I think next week I will try to get more veggies, especially at lunch, I have been doing a poor job of that. I could take salad but the fridge at work turns salad to ice if left overnight, so I have to haul it back and forth, but I am thinking lean protein with a big salad and a peanut asian dressing.
  • jawolfe
    Options
    Decided to walk on the treadmill yesterday as part of my day 20 Rest day. Anyone else have trouble resting on all of these rest days?? i'm just not used to it! Tried the turkey muffins finally...thumbs up! great way to add protein!
  • amysj303
    Options
    I think you all check in on the Phasse 2 thread, but I was just checking back, feeling like I am not progressing. today, day 44, is legs again and I just don't know how it will go with the narrow stance.
    My knees were hurting a bit yesterday so hopefully I won't do anything to cause that to flare up.
    I did the elliptical instead of the treadmill, it doesn't seem like it could be burning as many calories.
    No cardio today, in fact, only 3 days of cardio this week! I like that. I have no problem resting or skipping cardio.
  • karinefitness
    Options
    I think you all check in on the Phasse 2 thread, but I was just checking back, feeling like I am not progressing. today, day 44, is legs again and I just don't know how it will go with the narrow stance.
    My knees were hurting a bit yesterday so hopefully I won't do anything to cause that to flare up.
    I did the elliptical instead of the treadmill, it doesn't seem like it could be burning as many calories.
    No cardio today, in fact, only 3 days of cardio this week! I like that. I have no problem resting or skipping cardio.

How did your legs workout go?

I'm supposed to do legs today (I had a class yesterday and didn't want to go to the gym at 9pm). But the gym is always so busy those days I'm not even sure I'll find a squat rack to use. Might do shoulders + cardio instead.

Also, thanks for poiting out cardio was only 3x/week this week! I thought it was 4x like the past 2 weeks. Hurray! :-)
  • amysj303
    Options
    Legs workout was ok. Although, I am not sure what she meant by double lunge and double step up. they are hard enough! I did walking lunges with 10 lb weights in each hand, 40 steps 3 times. I did the handweights on the step ups too, since there were only 8 step ups. But for the single leg squats I used 5 lb handweights until the last set, I thought it was 3 sets but then I saw 4 and thought, I can't do it with the weights.
    Chest, abs and cardio today. Seems like I just did abs!
  • karinefitness
    Options
    Legs workout was ok. Although, I am not sure what she meant by double lunge and double step up. they are hard enough! I did walking lunges with 10 lb weights in each hand, 40 steps 3 times. I did the handweights on the step ups too, since there were only 8 step ups. But for the single leg squats I used 5 lb handweights until the last set, I thought it was 3 sets but then I saw 4 and thought, I can't do it with the weights.
    Chest, abs and cardio today. Seems like I just did abs!

The double lunge is where you walk, go down, go up again, down again, walk = 1 rep. I call this a 'bouncing lunge' hehe.

The step-ups are just 'regular' ones, aren't they? I don't see it being listed as doubles... ?
  • karinefitness
    Options
    I found out on the FB group that P2 lunges are 20 reps total pet set, so that's 10 rep per leg...

"It's 10 per leg!!!!!! 40 is too many. BB.com confirmed that it IS only 20 in total per set, 10 per legs :)"

I'm not sure. I did 40 the first time but now I will be doing 20. I can't do 40 with heavy weight! Lunges are hard; the one leg squat is a killer, also.

Heading to the gym for that workout in 1 hour ;-)
  • amysj303
    Options
    you are right, double lunges, normal step ups. Glad you found that about the 10 per leg, that is a lot. Especially because when the muscled dude does it, he does one leg several times in a row. But when I sign in, Jamie does it, alternating legs. Maybe I can try bouncing if it's only 10 per leg:tongue:
  • karinefitness
    Options
    That leg workout was HARD!!
    I know I'll be sore today... and it's going to be even worse tomorrow!